E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Single Turbo Upgrade ideas?

08-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Norris_83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

N54 Single Turbo Upgrade ideas?

I'm still contemplating the price of the single fftec turbo upgrade and also the power to hp ratio regarding the RB turbos..

I'm not sure if this has been studied or not, but on the N55 forums it seems RB will be coming out with 750hp solutions for the single turbo.

Since our blocks are near enough identical, wouldn't the single turbo upgrade from the N55 work on the N54?

I'm sure we'd have to change to a 4" single DP fitted for the N55 but hey, I would not mind at all. Just food for though. A cost effective high hp solution!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

There are a lot of differences. I've seen a lot of stuff referenced on here, but don't remember the differences to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Norris_83
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just read the turbo manifold studs are in different places... I wouldn't mind taking a trip to the machine shop and "retrofit" the new head studs..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Eleventeen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris_83 View Post
Just read the turbo manifold studs are in different places... I wouldn't mind taking a trip to the machine shop and "retrofit" the new head studs..
I believe the flange on Rob's manifold will already be drilled to fit the N54 head. However, I'm not sure if his manifold will allow the O2 sensors to be placed before the turbo (which is currently necessary on the N54).
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

The intention of the RB N55 kit is first and foremost to work on the N55. The manifold will be designed with split banks though and will be modeled on the N54 long block we have here. The flange itself is designed to work on both engines. That said it could be used on either engine but some minor fab work maybe needed to work with the N54 (ie. coolant to block interface, etc).

It will not be directly marketed to work with the N54 although someone could certainly weld in pre-turbo O2 bungs and try it- but we will have no part of any backlash of it causing any headaches. The intention is to wait for the bank merger O2 solution to be found before it should be used on the N54, but once it is shipped the end user can do as they like with it.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
The intention of the RB N55 kit is first and foremost to work on the N55. The manifold will be designed with split banks though and will be modeled on the N54 long block we have here. The flange itself is designed to work on both engines. That said it could be used on either engine but some minor fab work maybe needed to work with the N54 (ie. coolant to block interface, etc).

It will not be directly marketed to work with the N54 although someone could certainly weld in pre-turbo O2 bungs and try it- but we will have no part of any backlash of it causing any headaches. The intention is to wait for the bank merger O2 solution to be found before it should be used on the N54, but once it is shipped the end user can do as they like with it.

Rob
That's a bummer, a kit that would fit both platforms would be pretty cool. Wouldn't be too much more work if you had a standard manifold and capped off the applicable O2 bung. Im excited to see that turbo in action though!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000GT MR View Post
That's a bummer, a kit that would fit both platforms would be pretty cool. Wouldn't be too much more work if you had a standard manifold and capped off the applicable O2 bung. Im excited to see that turbo in action though!
I'm sure there's a business stand point reason why he's not doing that. Unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post
I'm sure there's a business stand point reason why he's not doing that. Unfortunately
My guess would be because it is extra work for a solution that he would have no tuning for. I can't imagine the N55 option being more than plug n play plus a new map for boost, fuel and timing. The N54 variant would have to be test fit and the misc different hardware would have to be made, and then he would have to hope people would buy it without a proven tuning option to recoup his costs. If the single turbo tuning becomes more old hat as people figure it out, then maybe he could revisit the manifold accoutrements down the road. As a small business, Rob needs to be able to see dollars in return for every cent spent if he wants to keep his business going.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
NoahSamuel
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

I think the n55 development is interesting. Should be a great 2013 Q4 for the n54 and n55
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Norris_83
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post

Rob
Thanks for the heads up. What kind of money are we talking about here and how long will it take to be produced?

I remember back in the day my I6 Trailblazer used one O2 sensor for controlling closed loop. It seemed to work like a charm. With the release of the Open Source program I'm sure there's a way we can get this to work.

With regards to the coolant to block line, if using a single we can just cancel the coolant path and rely on the oil tap and intercooler to keep our turbos cool.

I would love to get this working as soon as the weather cools down here. We're finally hitting high 20s celsius at night. Hopefully be around 10celsius in 3months!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris_83 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. What kind of money are we talking about here and how long will it take to be produced?

I remember back in the day my I6 Trailblazer used one O2 sensor for controlling closed loop. It seemed to work like a charm. With the release of the Open Source program I'm sure there's a way we can get this to work.

With regards to the coolant to block line, if using a single we can just cancel the coolant path and rely on the oil tap and intercooler to keep our turbos cool.

I would love to get this working as soon as the weather cools down here. We're finally hitting high 20s celsius at night. Hopefully be around 10celsius in 3months!
Best bet is to follow along with this thread, updates will be made available as they come:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873417

Rob
Appreciate 0