BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
penny_hardaway
Rep
Drives: X5

Comfort access trunk

Hi all,

I am getting a new x5 soon. One of my options for the x5 is comfort access (keyless). Want to know if I can activate it if I put my foot underneath of the license plate - tailgate opens automatically..
I ask the dealer but they cannot give me a definite answer as the new x5 has not launched until the end of 2013 officially in my country - Hong Kong.

Thanks all!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Not sure but I wouldn't worry about it. I have that on my F30 and it's more of a novelty than it is useful. Just not reliable and you look silly trying it when it doesn't always work.

BUT, I will say comfort access is worth it to me for the doors more so than trunk.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Comfort access is part of premium package. Yes, it comes with tai gate option too. They have given this feature across all the models.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
penny_hardaway
Rep

Thanks all!
I agree that this is a "cool" thing
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_hardaway View Post
I agree that this is a "cool" thing
It's a "kick a$$"-feature..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #6
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Hi all,

I am getting a new x5 soon. One of my options for the x5 is comfort access (keyless). Want to know if I can activate it if I put my foot underneath of the license plate - tailgate opens automatically..
I ask the dealer but they cannot give me a definite answer as the new x5 has not launched until the end of 2013 officially in my country - Hong Kong.

Thanks all!!
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846222

In above link check under videos (one of them). The dude comes back home and opens the trunk like 15 times with this function...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846222

In above link check under videos (one of them). The dude comes back home and opens the trunk like 15 times with this function...
Nope, he doesn't. At least not in the videos posted under that link.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Nope, he doesn't. At least not in the videos posted under that link.
you are right, i saw it some time ago and assumed I saw it. so far it is only stated "comfort access", no further details on the swiss site or the catalogue, i think it may not be an option for the trunk on the x5 (as of now at least).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
penny_hardaway
Rep

Thanks for the information

Due to my country tax rules, if I am ordering the option(s) for a new car, I have to pay 100% tax to the government. If BMW dealer charges a set of 20" rims for USD4,000 with run-flat tires, I will have to pay another USD4,000 to dealer, the dealer will pay government for it.. Therefore, cheap people like me normally wouldn't order the options if they could be installed by outside vendors. For example, kidney grille bars or rims. However, for those options must be installed in factory, we have no choice but to accept the tax.. For example, comfort access, third row seat, etc

Hong Kong X5 will be coming in 3 lines like the rest of the world. Luxury lines won't have running board. To save tax, I am looking to install that without going thru dealer. my question is - Would the running board fit Luxury Line?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
penny_hardaway
Rep

BTW - My new X5 will cost me USD110,000 as I ordered third row seat, comfort access....
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
Donibm
Emperor X5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 2009

Wishful thinking ... maybe.

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks all!!
Interesting ... and useful ... if your hands are full and you can't press the button or the hatch.

But impractical if you are standing at the rear, talking to friends, and the back raises. Hope you aren't under a low overhang if that does happen.

It's kinda like the auto-wind up windows. Nice idea. But death by beheading is not a lawsuit BMW wants to have on their hands.

So ... on that note. I think it is wishful thinking.

Mufasa isn't a name ... but it's AWESOME!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donibm View Post
But death by beheading is not a lawsuit BMW wants to have on their hands.

So ... on that note. I think it is wishful thinking.
Hmm, thinking about it...How would the "kicking"-access be more dangerous than the regular power trunk? The opening mechanism and risks with the opening itself would be the same, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Hmm, thinking about it...How would the "kicking"-access be more dangerous than the regular power trunk? The opening mechanism and risks with the opening itself would be the same, right?
I'd kill for that feature
So many times i walk out of a store with hands full of bags and really need it to open hands free
Eliminates the need to drop the bags or boxes on the ground (could be wet or dirty) and pick them up
Even more useful when you carry something heavy and really dont want to lift it again from the floor and strain your back
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
penny_hardaway
Rep

On Sunday, I tried the comfort access on a 750 as the new X5 is not arrived to Hong Kong yet. It is not as sensitive as I thought it is. My salesman was telling me that the factory is saying to put the foot underneath of the BMW logo for about 4-5 inches. That means I need to stick my foot in and move it left to right to activate it.... I tried and did not work very well.... I looked at the salesman and puzzled because I will be getting that along with the package - BMW puts together as bundle sales and I cannot take that out.... Gee...The salesman is telling me like... it might be better for your X5 as the 750's comfort access is old, blah blah...

I tried again by literately "swing my feet" under the BMW logo, it worked!!! I tried 3 times and it worked perfectly!!! The swinging is similar to kicking someone's feet to knock him out!!! LOL!!!
Appreciate 0