E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Dealership New Car Detailing/Wash

10-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Question Dealership New Car Detailing/Wash

So I've been hearing some horror stories about letting the dealership detail.wash your car before delivery...

Is this something to be concerned about?
Should I tell me CA not to detail the car on delivery?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

^bump^

Bueller? Bueller?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Queenskid24
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: With 1 Fly Girl shotgun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast335i View Post
So I've been hearing some horror stories about letting the dealership detail.wash your car before delivery...

Is this something to be concerned about?
Should I tell me CA not to detail the car on delivery?
I for one work at a dealer, and i have connections at many other dealers, i would suggest if you care about your paint...Prep your own new car and tell them to just deliver it to you after Pdi (just the fuses and maybe interior also if youd like)

I specifically have a request for my CA, NO FRONT PLATE!!! and NO detail.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
bthienthai
Banned
Rep
Drives: bimmer

just curious, why is it that bad? If it's so bad, then how come most of the cars at the dealers look great?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenskid24 View Post
I for one work at a dealer, and i have connections at many other dealers, i would suggest if you care about your paint...Prep your own new car and tell them to just deliver it to you after Pdi (just the fuses and maybe interior also if youd like)

I specifically have a request for my CA, NO FRONT PLATE!!! and NO detail.
I totally agree with this....it is def the way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthienthai View Post
just curious, why is it that bad? If it's so bad, then how come most of the cars at the dealers look great?
I would say the vast majority of the cars are detailed/prepped incorrectly. Look closely at the paint....you are almost garunteed to have a lot of flaws, including what picus likes to call "dealer installed swrill marks". This is especially apparent on black cars. They basically use brushes (very bad to use a brush) or sponges on multiple cars. Same with the way they dry the cars.

Picus has an outstanding new car prep set of instructions under the diy tab.
      10-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
H0bb3z
Ubergeek
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 e92 335i  [0.00]
I third that thought. I got the Zaino kit, told the dealer not to wash it and to leave the front plate off. They thought I was a bit crazy to not take the free detail, but it was not a problem (even though in TX they require front plates), as long as I gave the dealer good marks when they asked. Part of the process is that some dealers require delivery of a clean, detailed car, so you may have to reiterate to the dealer that you don't want the car washed at all...

Depending on the dealership, you can see if they have good experienced detailers that know how to do it right, but the more likely scenario is that they have a bunch of guys that treat it like a production line to move cars through.

This significantly increases the likelihood of dealer installed swirl marks in the paint because they don't take the time to get the washing gear clean for the next car. The amount of grit they get off of new cars is astounding, so its almost a guaranteed outcome...

READ THIS: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9145

Ordered: 8/4/2007 | Production completed: 9/3/2007 | Delivery: 10/9/2007
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

I talked to the detailer guy at my dealer before having my car done. I only have a 2 year lease, so I wasn't as concerned since I won't have the car forever. He told me how they have to clay bar the BMWs. Well, I got the car and Zaino'd it myself after their "detail" job. There is no way he claybarred it. There was all sorts of grit on the hood that wasn't there after I was done with it. My car is white, so the swirls aren't as obvious.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 11:08 PM   #8
Queenskid24
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: With 1 Fly Girl shotgun.

[QUOTE=normtrum;1508221]I totally agree with this....it is def the way to go

I would say the vast majority of the cars are detailed/prepped incorrectly. Look closely at the paint....you are almost garunteed to have a lot of flaws, including what picus likes to call "dealer installed swrill marks". This is especially apparent on black cars. They basically use brushes (very bad to use a brush) or sponges on multiple cars. Same with the way they dry the cars.

Picus has an outstanding new car prep set of instructions under the diy tab.[/
QUOTE]

he basically summarized it, Dealers do quantity over quality, let me rephrase that MOST!!!, they dont care about swirl marks or putting on a proper sealant on a new car or using multiple MF cloths, they are just worried about removing the glue off of the paint and getting the car to the showroom ASAP. once again like he said^^ PICUS is an amazing detailer and he provides a step by step detail to a new car. I say, if you care for your car enough to make a thread about it, then o the detail on your own. Once youre done and you see what you have accomplished you will have a feeling unlike no other GL
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 11:41 PM   #9
fragadellic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe BSM

Picus's new car prep DIY is gold. I followed it to the letter and the car is beautiful. A lot of people think that's too much work, but it all depends on your committment to keeping the car clean. Myself, I fall in the extreme 5% of really picky people and I bought a Black Sapphire car so the committment to keeping the paint perfect was there when I ordered the car.

The darker the car, the more critical is is that you not let the dealer do the pre-delivery "detail".

Remember, friends don't let friends get the "dealer-installed swirl option"...