F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Freakin swirls! What am I doing wrong?
proTUNING Freaks

08-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Freakin swirls! What am I doing wrong?

I was prepping the car for Zaino today and the sun was setting, which meant it was at the perfect angle to show me the swirls I have on the car.

It's been though 1 automatic car wash in it's life, in Germany during ED. That couldn't have done all this.

I use 2 buckets, I use a high quality wash mitt, I have grit guards, and the primary pressure applied during washing is from the weight of the wet mitt. I dry the car with the proper towels and apply minimal pressure during drying. So I really don't know how I have swirls.

Can just driving put swirls in the car? Is it just essentially inevitable if you use the vehicle and so I should get over it?

My only assumption is that I did it while applying wax. I waxed the car like 3 times since I got it, and i use wax applicators when doing so, not a orbital buffer...I don't know what did it, but it sucks. I drove it for 2 weeks during ED and it's been back home for a month..so not exactly a lot of use so far. But even at this early stage, to get a perfect finish before sealing it in with the Zaino, it would need actual paint correction.

I hate swirl marks. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

What color is your car?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
What color is your car?
It's white so thankfully they're not too visible
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

it happens... no matter what anyone says you will get swirls eventually.

Ping Larry @ Wisdomdetail, and pickup a Griot's RO polisher. If they are just light swirls, a white LC pad with some polish (I use Optimum Hyper Polish) will take them out.

Yep, it's spending more money, but if they bug you that much it'll be well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

it could be your dealership washing them a few times too.. how many times did your car go in the dealer?
      08-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
it happens... no matter what anyone says you will get swirls eventually.

Ping Larry @ Wisdomdetail, and pickup a Griot's RO polisher. If they are just light swirls, a white LC pad with some polish (I use Optimum Hyper Polish) will take them out.

Yep, it's spending more money, but if they bug you that much it'll be well worth it.
As of noon today it will have 3 coats of zaino so I will deal with the paint issues for now until I decide to strip the zaino and take a more heavy duty approach to get the finish perfect. Anyway - frustrating but hopefully this stuff will protect it for a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser View Post
it could be your dealership washing them a few times too.. how many times did your car go in the dealer?
The dealership might have washed it once. So as far as I know, the only washed I didn't do were the wash at the Welt before delivery, the wash in Germany in the scratch machine, and the wash pre-delivery back home at he dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
As of noon today it will have 3 coats of zaino so I will deal with the paint issues for now until I decide to strip the zaino and take a more heavy duty approach to get the finish perfect. Anyway - frustrating but hopefully this stuff will protect it for a few months.

The dealership might have washed it once. So as far as I know, the only washed I didn't do were the wash at the Welt before delivery, the wash in Germany in the scratch machine, and the wash pre-delivery back home at he dealership.
I explicitly tell my dealer "DO NOT WASH MY CAR" at least 15 times while I am there. I even reiterate it on the phone when they call me regarding my service. You mention that you use "proper towels." Are you using high quality microfiber drying towels?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
AppStoreMoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
It's been though 1 automatic car wash in it's life, in Germany during ED. That couldn't have done all this.
I took my car through an automatic car wash at least 10 times. It's one of those touch free laser wash things. They don't do a good job of washing the car, but at least they also don't damage it (as far as I know). Am I wrong? Sometimes I'm too lazy to properly wash the car, but I want the dust washed off.

Quote:
Is it just essentially inevitable if you use the vehicle and so I should get over it?
That's probably a good idea. I'm at 10k miles.
1. There are spots on my seat where the dakota leather is rubbing off, and I'm not fat or careless.
2. Females have scratched the side skirts when exiting and entering the car. Not sure why people are not able to lift their feet without smashing it against the side of the car... or why shoes require metal clips.
3. The speedometer plastic came with swirl marks.
4. My m-sport bumper keeps on collecting rock chips.
5. The paint has so much orange peel, that I'm not sure swirl marks can make it much worse.

I got over it. A used car will end up looking like a used car no matter much you stress over it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppStoreMoney View Post
5. The paint has so much orange peel, that I'm not sure swirl marks can make it much worse.

I got over it. A used car will end up looking like a used car no matter much you stress over it.
I definitely have 4 and 5 but are we sure the paint isn't intended to be that way? Because it's consistent...not spotty. My whole car is painted that way...if you look closely, the paint is rippled....but it is all over the car. I thought it was a problem too, but now I am wondering if that's the case....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
You mention that you use "proper towels." Are you using high quality microfiber drying towels?
Two MF drying towels and one Meguiar's waffle weave.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IS350 F Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppStoreMoney View Post
3. The speedometer plastic came with swirl marks.
I noticed these things as well. The paint seems to be MUCH lower quality than on other BMWs. My dashboard plastic also has scratches and fingerprints on it, none of them mine.

Anyone else think the top of the dashboard seems to be a magnet for dust? Seems like it always looks dirty.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup o' Joe View Post
I noticed these things as well. The paint seems to be MUCH lower quality than on other BMWs. My dashboard plastic also has scratches and fingerprints on it, none of them mine.

Anyone else think the top of the dashboard seems to be a magnet for dust? Seems like it always looks dirty.
My dash is not too bad yet. There must be some interior detailing products that will help it repel dust.

I am terrible with interior stuff. I love detailing the outside but I suck at maintaining interiors.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
sparc
plug
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
I explicitly tell my dealer "DO NOT WASH MY CAR" at least 15 times while I am there. I even reiterate it on the phone when they call me regarding my service. You mention that you use "proper towels." Are you using high quality microfiber drying towels?
What I did today when my car went to the dealers is that I made two signs with " Do NOT wash" written on them. I place one sign on the dash and the other on the passenger seat. And I mentioned to the SA do not wash.

Sometimes they forget. When I went to pickup my newly delivered car(dusty as hell) my CA said they will wash it. But I had asked my CA before hand not to wash. So now I just make my do not wash signs in case someone along the lines forgets my request.
      08-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Swirls in ya paint is inevitable and you'll never 100% avoid them. My recommendation would be to change your cloths regularly and ensure your waxing and sealing your paint often enough. If it still happens then something in your process is marring the paint?
Appreciate 0