F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Is This From Getting Keyed? / Safe Methods of Scratch Removal
GetBMWParts

07-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Fruitycups
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

Is This From Getting Keyed? / Safe Methods of Scratch Removal

Hey guys, wanted to get your opinion on this. Do you think this is a key mark? Trying to figure out whether someone keyed me or my dad just placed one of his golf stuff on my trunk and slid.

Excuse the dirty car. I did wipe the area with soap and water to see if it was just grime. Sadly it wasn't my nail also catches it. Pretty upset. Trying to figure out what to do. I have some compound wax but I read that it actually leaves MORE scratches (albeit light). There seems to be alot of different answers on removing scratches, different polishes, buying sandpaper (i think), and like a billion other methods. I just want a easy method that can solve this issue cause right now, it just depresses me.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Just buy a quality polish and it'll come right out. No need for sanding or compound. It looks like it's superficial in the clear coat.

This will likely do the trick:
http://www.meguiars.com/en/professio...-remover-16oz/
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Fruitycups
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Just buy a quality polish and it'll come right out. No need for sanding or compound. It looks like it's superficial in the clear coat.

This will likely do the trick:
http://www.meguiars.com/en/professio...-remover-16oz/
Thanks for the reply. Still confused how this could even happen.

The reason why I said I get overwhelmed with all the different scratch removing methods are because not only are their so many (and i have no idea which one to use) some of them require that electric buffer, which I don't have. I also get nervous that the area I use it on will stick out and make it look "uneven" compared to the rest of cars.

I miss the days of just using turtle wax compound scratch remover. That was before I learned about the ugly truth about it and the scratches it leaves lol.

If I can't find m9 (doesnt seem like my Advanced Auto carries it), do you recommend something else?

What exactly are the differences between these?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hTerm=meguiars
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ewax_7110146-p

Thank you in advance my bmw owners.

Last edited by Fruitycups; 07-22-2013 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
AppStoreMoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i M-Sport

I can't tell you how the scratch happened, but I know for sure it wasn't keyed by someone intentionally. That would be much deeper and much more obvious. There are infinite things that can result in a scratch like that. Girls swinging their purses around and metal clips accidentally hitting it is one example.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Use meguiar's ultimate compound by hand on a foam pad followed by ultimate polish to remove the micro swirls/marring left behind from the aggressive compound.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:02 AM   #6
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Yeah, that is not from a key. Looks more like something from a wash or someone just accidentally scratching the car. Should be easy to remove as the above comments says.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
Fruitycups
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the answers guys!

So is a two step necessary? Two step as in do i need X and then another product?

Is there any one step method or will all products leave swirls?

Also so should i go for ultimate compound or the swirl x/scratch x, or even the m9 mirror gloss.

SO confused

edit:
Also, seeing it in the light, the scratch looks to be black, which im assuming cut the clear coat and went into the paint? Would scratch remover still work on this?

Last edited by Fruitycups; 07-23-2013 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitycups View Post
Thanks for the reply. Still confused how this could even happen.

The reason why I said I get overwhelmed with all the different scratch removing methods are because not only are their so many (and i have no idea which one to use) some of them require that electric buffer, which I don't have. I also get nervous that the area I use it on will stick out and make it look "uneven" compared to the rest of cars.

I miss the days of just using turtle wax compound scratch remover. That was before I learned about the ugly truth about it and the scratches it leaves lol.

If I can't find m9 (doesnt seem like my Advanced Auto carries it), do you recommend something else?

What exactly are the differences between these?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ewax_7110146-p

Thank you in advance my bmw owners.
Definitely don't use the TW rubbing compound. Too aggressive and, frankly, overkill.

Don't be so worried about creating additional micro scratches or swirls. Silver won't even show micro scratches. Just jump in with both feet and you'll be fine. "Polishes" by definition are not very aggressive. You really can't go wrong. The worst that could happen is that the polish isn't aggressive enough and it won't remove the scratch entirely. THEN you move on to more aggressive materials, but if that's the case, your best bet would be a machine polish by a professional. My gut is that this is very superficial and will come right out.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Fruitycups
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Definitely don't use the TW rubbing compound. Too aggressive and, frankly, overkill.

Don't be so worried about creating additional micro scratches or swirls. Silver won't even show micro scratches. Just jump in with both feet and you'll be fine. "Polishes" by definition are not very aggressive. You really can't go wrong. The worst that could happen is that the polish isn't aggressive enough and it won't remove the scratch entirely. THEN you move on to more aggressive materials, but if that's the case, your best bet would be a machine polish by a professional. My gut is that this is very superficial and will come right out.
Thanks again for the reply.

Alot of threads I read said something on the lines of how I would need to use the polish first and then use a wax. Is that necessary? Will my paint actually look dull if I stop at the polish?

Also, once I finish applying and rubbing it in, am I supposed to wipe away with water and soap or do I just leave it on?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitycups View Post
Thanks again for the reply.

Alot of threads I read said something on the lines of how I would need to use the polish first and then use a wax. Is that necessary? Will my paint actually look dull if I stop at the polish?

Also, once I finish applying and rubbing it in, am I supposed to wipe away with water and soap or do I just leave it on?
Wax is optional with clear coat. If you normally wax the car, then reapply wax after polishing. Polishing will provide a bright gloss. It won't dull the paint. Generally speaking, you apply it with medium pressure and continue to rub until it "fades" away. In other words, the polish dries as you're polishing the area. Follow it up with a clean cloth to remove the residue. Or, just follow the directions on the bottle.
Appreciate 0