E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Manuals, Invoice/MSRP Pricing, Buying Guides, Bulletins, etc. > Performance Power Kit

07-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
usmc_ja
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG M-sport 335i

Performance Power Kit

Anybody know current dealer pricing? I'd like some idea of a target price for negotiating this mod. Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2--7 BMW 335i coupe

When I asked they said it was right around 2k I believe. I think you get almost nothing with this though, like 20 horsepower? Honestly it's just BMW's way to add a bolt on and get 2k from you. I would just look aftermarket if you re looking for more power. Why pay so much for so little when you can pay half that price and get 4 times the power...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
usmc_ja
Rep

The msrp I saw was in the $1200 range. Not sure we are talking the same thing.

Plus, I'm under warranty until late 2017. I'd love more power but priority is protecting my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

I was lucky enough to find this kit for sale here on the forums for only $400. It was the stage 1 so it only came with the software upgrade, and not the additional cooling.

After having it on the car for almost a year, I can definitely say that if I had to purchase it new from the dealership and pay what they are asking for this, I definitely wouldn't.

The only thing I (and my girlfriend especially) liked was that it calmed down the noise of my performance exhaust. Without the PPK the perf exhaust was going to be far to much to live with on highway drives, which is 90% of the mileage i put onto it.

If they want you to part with 2k, dont even bother.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
usmc_ja
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananaz18 View Post
I was lucky enough to find this kit for sale here on the forums for only $400. It was the stage 1 so it only came with the software upgrade, and not the additional cooling.

After having it on the car for almost a year, I can definitely say that if I had to purchase it new from the dealership and pay what they are asking for this, I definitely wouldn't.

The only thing I (and my girlfriend especially) liked was that it calmed down the noise of my performance exhaust. Without the PPK the perf exhaust was going to be far to much to live with on highway drives, which is 90% of the mileage i put onto it.

If they want you to part with 2k, dont even bother.
I appreciate your candid thoughts.

I can get the software (PPK 1) for $660. Dealer has quoted $255 for install. That is best I have seen so far. For $2k? No way I'd do it. But in order to keep the warranty and get a bit more performance and get the exhaust "burble" I'm thinking about it. Less than $900 seems more inline with what you get. Still too expensive, but nothing is cheap on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
M-Steep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M Sport

I had the PPK 2 installed (addtional cooling via additional coolant radiator, plus power/torque bump). Cost ~$2200. I'm very happy with extra cooling capacity, and reasonably happy with power bump. Per before/after dynos, I got ~46 ft/lb increase in torque, and about 20 hp increase across the power band. But it was the cooling I was most interested in. Probably going w/ another tune eventually.

Anywho, just more data, FYI.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
usmc_ja
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Steep View Post
I had the PPK 2 installed (addtional cooling via additional coolant radiator, plus power/torque bump). Cost ~$2200. I'm very happy with extra cooling capacity, and reasonably happy with power bump. Per before/after dynos, I got ~46 ft/lb increase in torque, and about 20 hp increase across the power band. But it was the cooling I was most interested in. Probably going w/ another tune eventually.

Anywho, just more data, FYI.
Interesting that you got a dyno proven 46 ft/lb increase in torque. That is substantially more than the 30. That type of to the wheels gain certainly does not hurt the cost/benefit ratio. Wonder if the N55 would see the same gains? Probably not since the consensus appears to be that the N54 responds to tuning better.

Anyway, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
se15679875
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Interesting.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
hybridel
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Brooklyn Grey X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_ja View Post
The msrp I saw was in the $1200 range. Not sure we are talking the same thing.

Plus, I'm under warranty until late 2017. I'd love more power but priority is protecting my warranty.
Look into Dinan

while expensive, you'll get much more then 20 hp... and it's warranty approved
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I like the PPK 2 kit with the cooling. Great powerband, although not nearly as much turbo boost as the procede et al tunes. Has some resale value, does not affect longevity of engine, no warranty issues... On sale at GetBMWParts now and then.
Appreciate 0