F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Wet feet
ARMA SPEED

07-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Wet feet

Just received my cable, and tried my first code. Am very pleased that the car still functions!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Deacon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

Did you change many features ? Do you have experience with this type of modding?
I want to change multiple things but have no experience in this area..I have built several computers and consider myself smart but this process seems very complex... I have read the tutorials and understand the process but not sure If I'm absolutely confident yet.
would love to hear your views on the process
      07-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Did you change many features ? Do you have experience with this type of modding?
I want to change multiple things but have no experience in this area..I have built several computers and consider myself smart but this process seems very complex... I have read the tutorials and understand the process but not sure If I'm absolutely confident yet.
I changed one - the M Performance Logo on startup. I just wanted to step through, make one change, and see it work.

This isn't so much hardware as software - I purchased a cable rather than make one, but the software reminds me of regedit in Windows in a vague way. If you're happy and comfortable in the registry of Windows, you'll be ok. It's more convoluted (and more German) but it's not nanotechnology (rocket science is so last decade).

I'm a computer programmer, so am comfortable with this sort of thing, but really it's not beyond anyone who is methodical and careful. The instructions provided are pretty clear and easy to follow.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz
Just received my cable, and tried my first code. Am very pleased that the car still functions!
Where did you buy your cable from?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboi View Post
Where did you buy your cable from?
shawnsheridan sent me a PM with a list of links and places to buy the bits you need.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
Deacon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

thanks think I will PM him now
      07-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It is not as hard as it seems to be from some of the posts. I would also say it is somewhat like registry editing on a windows computer. I purchased a cable + software token about a month ago, and changed a few things on my own car, my wifes car, and a bimmerfest members car I met.

I purchased a cable through april1 (from some information I got from shawnsheridan, and am extremely pleased with the quality of the cable.

I make sure to only change 1 thing at a time, so I have an easy back out plan if something were to go wrong.

People are extremely helpful in the coding forums as well.
Appreciate 0