E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Force HPFP Plausibility Code

07-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
Lankster
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Force HPFP Plausibility Code

So here is my dilemma:

I have JB4 running map 5 with 30% E85 and have BMS DCI. I am getting a misfire cyl 3 (who cares i can do that myself) and a Fuel Pump Plausability code around 4k rpm and high boost. Obviously I want to take my car into BMW and get pump replaced. But the code wont come up under stock configuration, and I am having a hard time getting the plausability code to pop up and not the tuner detection code so i can remove JB4 and bring into BMW blah blah blah.

My question is this: If I went back to stock, and added 30% E85 to the tank, do you think that will make the plausability code pop up? Im thinking this might be a kinda sneaky way to force the code up since at WOT the pump wont be able to fuel the car with the E85 under stock conditions... What do you think?

Or is there a way to get the plaus code to pop up and remove JB4 without triggering the tuner detection code?

Thanks for the help guys!!

Last edited by Lankster; 07-02-2013 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Lankster
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
United_States
Rep

bump...
      07-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

All dealerships are not created equal. I had my HPFP replaced three times in the past 2.5 years and two out of three were while I was tuned. Because the dealer only needs to scan active codes to get approval to replace the pump, they shouldn't do anything else or look for any modifications to show cause like they would with Turbo replacement. So code it, check the codes to make sure you only have that code. Put it in map 0 check it with INPA or hand scanner and take it in for service.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
Lankster
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
All dealerships are not created equal. I had my HPFP replaced three times in the past 2.5 years and two out of three were while I was tuned. Because the dealer only needs to scan active codes to get approval to replace the pump, they shouldn't do anything else or look for any modifications to show cause like they would with Turbo replacement. So code it, check the codes to make sure you only have that code. Put it in map 0 check it with INPA or hand scanner and take it in for service.
This is a very good point you have made. And I may end up doing so. But I would still like to get an answer for the scenario I have made, because for those that are, say, COBB tuned could benefit from this scenario being feasible.
      07-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Well, I've been running 100% e85 as long as anyone on this forum and was one of the first to go flex fuel and flash with PROcede. I doubt if anyone will respond to your post due to the fact that no one has ever ran e85 without tune.

I think you have a valid theory, but what you need to do now is clear your codes, put your car in Map0 and run the shit out of it with e85 and see if you can get it to code. If so it's plausible.

In my case, and this is only because the dealership knows I tune my car, I would just leave the COBB installed and let them fix the HPFP under warranty because they only care about the code.

Good luck. I hope you can get it fixed. I know for my turbo replacement, I ended up getting kicked out of one dealership and was told never to bring my car back for warranty work. But that wasn't my primary dealership. I ended up taking it to my primary dealership 100% stock and they didn't question anything, just did the work.

BTW, my primary dealership denied my turbo replace not more than a year ago when I was FBO. After going 100% stock and taking it back to them, only then did they do the work under CPO.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Lankster
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the response, I guess its up to me to be the guinea pig for this =)

I will post in here my results, thank you wedge! long time fan!
      07-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
If there are any modified cars in your area ask the drivers what dealer they use, you can use any BMW dealer not just the one you bought from. If you want to leave the system on be sure you can cover the bill if they refuse to comp it.

Going in myself tomorrow for "long cranks" & the battery cable recall, will post the results.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0