E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New turbo's with p30ff code but STILL P30FF

06-30-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
theE92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i E92 Sports Package

Exclamation New turbo's with p30ff code but STILL P30FF

Hey everyone, I just had my turbos/WGs replaced because of a p30ff error code. The code started coming on when I got the Cobb AP and boost levels increased.. the thing is, the car holds stable under low boost and pulls hard but once the boost gets to a certain level it makes a really loud WOOOSHHHHHH sound like there's air getting forced out of a hole somewhere. I uninstall the tune when I take it to the dealer but when the tune isn't on the car, the engine malfunction sign only comes on when you're going 120.. They just disregarded it and told me that there weren't any leaks when i took it in after the initial tubor replacement, and that the turbo's were resetting. I KNOW for a fact that there is a leak that gets worse as boost increases, i replaced my charge pipe, intake, and DV's to make sure it wasn't from any of those (needed to mod anyway) and the problem persisted. Is there anything I can do on my own to find out what's wrong with it, or something I can tell the SA at BMW I think is possibly a problem with my car?

*IN a nutshell: with regular BMW flash, car doesn't lose much boost at all.

With Cobb AP and increased boost levels, HUGE boost loss and engine malfunction sign comes on.

Also, another "p--" code, about boost pressure on loader 2? I have no idea how to find out what or where loader 2 is.

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
kiteboy
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E92 Stage 2 BR Performance

when you are stock no tune, also the 30ff ?????
335i Pack M Stage 2 BR Performance 403,5 hp 582n.m/Bilstein B14 pss/R&B PVC2 valve/K&N air filter/Spearco FMIC/pre cata empty/EBC Redstuff,aviation hose, BMW Performance exhaust, Charge pipe Evolution Racewerks, Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Maybe the boost solenoid on bank 2 turbo. Rear turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
kiteboy
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Yes maybe clean them with benzine and invers it
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Clearly the turbos arn't your 30FF source then. Could be vacuum lines, boost solenoids, or vacuum canisters. If you are sure your intake tract has no leaks (smoke test it post turbo to be sure), then vacuum loss is probably your source of the leak. Your stock intercooler connections can still leak, and the plastic end tanks can even crack, so be aware of that.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
theE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteboy View Post
when you are stock no tune, also the 30ff ?????
Yes, after getting some sleep and thinking done, I remember it said "pre control boost leak on loader 2"
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
theE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Maybe the boost solenoid on bank 2 turbo. Rear turbo

I don't know how to clean it.. is there anyone besides BMW that can get to it?

I'm in Edmond, Oklahoma btw, not in Norman any longer
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
kiteboy
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Yes verify your hose , maybe leak on air admission ? Dump valve fault??
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
theE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Clearly the turbos arn't your 30FF source then. Could be vacuum lines, boost solenoids, or vacuum canisters. If you are sure your intake tract has no leaks (smoke test it post turbo to be sure), then vacuum loss is probably your source of the leak. Your stock intercooler connections can still leak, and the plastic end tanks can even crack, so be aware of that.
And here's one thing, the vacuum lines leading to the small holes in the DV's were kind of kinked and had a 90 degree angled tube when I first installed bc there's almost NO room for an injen dual cone CAI and charge pipe with forge Dv's, so i realized one of the tubes was crooked and zip tied a certain part of it to the charge pipe so it pulls it in a certain fashion to make it straight, and right after I did that the car wasn't losing as much power. It may have just been one of the several leaks i possibly have. Also, how can i get to the intercooler? I'm assuming I should just
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
kiteboy
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Normaly when they change both turbos , all vaccums line etc are new also..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theE92 View Post
And here's one thing, the vacuum lines leading to the small holes in the DV's were kind of kinked and had a 90 degree angled tube when I first installed bc there's almost NO room for an injen dual cone CAI and charge pipe with forge Dv's, so i realized one of the tubes was crooked and zip tied a certain part of it to the charge pipe so it pulls it in a certain fashion to make it straight, and right after I did that the car wasn't losing as much power. It may have just been one of the several leaks i possibly have. Also, how can i get to the intercooler? I'm assuming I should just
If you still have your stock airbox, I would pop that in so you don't have to jerry-rig those DV lines. Take off the under tray to view the IC connections. You don't need the bumper to come off.

Quote:
Not true, only the wastegate vac lines are changed.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
theE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
If you still have your stock airbox, I would pop that in so you don't have to jerry-rig those DV lines. Take off the under tray to view the IC connections. You don't need the bumper to come off.

Not true, only the wastegate vac lines are changed.
You're right, they didn't change the any visible tubing/lines, they're actually in pretty bad shape. I can put the stock airbox back on but I bought the injen so I could actually use it

I'll check the IC soon, for now, running to pepboys or somewhere to see if they have pressure testers or somehow know how to find leaks lol
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
theE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I've read on someone's post that they've had their lines changed and had to pay for it even though they had warranty, I think they didn't change it on mine because i had a third party warranty and BMW wanted to keep the cost low for me. Although I had a $50 deductible and had to pay ~$165 altogether
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You're right, they didn't change the any visible tubing/lines, they're actually in pretty bad shape. I can put the stock airbox back on but I bought the injen so I could actually use it

I'll check the IC soon, for now, running to pepboys or somewhere to see if they have pressure testers or somehow know how to find leaks lol
Yes. It would just be as a test, so you can have unrestricted vac lines to the DV's and eliminate that variable.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
theE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Unfortunately for me I couldn't get the forge DV out of the stock charge pipe when I only planned to change the DV's to see if that's where the leak was from, once I planned on changing the the stock charge pipe I couldn't go back because the forge DV wouldn't twist off the locking mechanism so a little and the DV came off with the protruding locking mechanism. Can't go back to stock on the CP now lol
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #16
theE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes. It would just be as a test, so you can have unrestricted vac lines to the DV's and eliminate that variable.
Well see, when I rigged the line to the DV it was working as it was before I got the turbo's replaced, (yes, putting my mods in made it worse, but i corrected it with the jerry rig )it would only malfunction at higher MPH like ~100 depending on whether i'm going WOT the whole time, it usually doesn't mess up unless i put too much throttle. If i barely press down on the pedal it'll of course speedup a lot slower but i don't think they leak catches enough for it to want to disconnect or throw out pressure/malfunction sign... until i go wot then WOOOOOSHHHHH bye bye boost
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
theE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

UPDATE: The line to the DV was COMEPLETELY DISCONNECTED, heading to peppy's to find some replacement tubing.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
theE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hey I fixed the DV lines with silicon tape and found that the preintercooler connection wasn't locked on, so I put it all together and am currently installing Cobb AP to see if it gets an engine malfunction!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #19
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Hey I fixed the DV lines with silicon tape and found that the preintercooler connection wasn't locked on, so I put it all together and am currently installing Cobb AP to see if it gets an engine malfunction!
Ok. If it wasn't on, that was probably your source.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
theE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ok. If it wasn't on, that was probably your source.
Well I fixed it and I still get engine malfunction but not nearly as quick as it was with the two leaks. I'm starting to think it's solenoids or hpfp? It usually doesn't happen now unless i'm in a single gear for too long, occurrences arise from 4.5-7krpm never lower. Well I haven't tried in 6th going 120 so i'm not sure about underboost or something similar. Help? The dealer will probably try to blame the charge pipe, dv's and intake, not sure if it would be legitimate but sure, they'd say it's not up to standard equipment and say that's why i'm getting malfunctions. I can easily see that happening.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #21
theE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Could it be the WG's adjusting to the increased boost?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #22
theE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

I could log with the Cobb to see the problem but I have no clue how to do anything with logs because I haven't yet had time to look into Cobb's forum section, i'm about to now and will try to find a way to diagnose the problem
Appreciate 0