E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FMIC installed caused my radiator/fan to fail

06-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
ilirduka335xi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335xi space gray

Garage List
2008 bmw 335xi  [0.00]
FMIC installed caused my radiator/fan to fail

I installed my helix fmic and before I put the bottom plastic cover back on I went to do a quick pull to see if any pipe was going to pop off and the drivers side pipe that connects the charge pipe that connects to the throttle body piped off before I could build like 5 pounds of boost. So I stopped and screwed it in tight. I went for another pull and everything seemed fined until I went for another small pull and my car wasn't letting me go over 2500 rpm (around that area). So I go to put the car back on the ramp and it tells me the car is over heating but the oil temp was around 235 degrees and the car had almost no power. It didn't even have enough power to go up the ramp and when I would press the gas the car would go down to 300-400 rpm. So I turned the car off for 20 minutes to let it cooled down. Then I turned it on again and quickly put it up the ramp and checked if any pipes were missin but everything looked fine. So I checked the codes and it said "radiator self diagnosis" so my let my car run and my friend realized my fan was struggling to spin as if something was holding it back so we looked all over the fan and nothing was making contact or was even close to making contact. So I unplugged the fan and plugged it in and let it run again and it would spin for 2 seconds stop spin for another 2 seconds and stop again as if the power was being cut off and put back on and again off. I also read that if the fan has gone bad the car will automatically tell you it's over heating even when it's not. So I couldn't figure it out so my car is just sitting like that. I'm in no way shape or form blaming the helix intercooler for this problem by the way. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. Thank you
      06-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirduka335xi View Post
I installed my helix fmic and before I put the bottom plastic cover back on I went to do a quick pull to see if any pipe was going to pop off and the drivers side pipe that connects the charge pipe that connects to the throttle body piped off before I could build like 5 pounds of boost. So I stopped and screwed it in tight. I went for another pull and everything seemed fined until I went for another small pull and my car wasn't letting me go over 2500 rpm (around that area). So I go to put the car back on the ramp and it tells me the car is over heating but the oil temp was around 235 degrees and the car had almost no power. It didn't even have enough power to go up the ramp and when I would press the gas the car would go down to 300-400 rpm. So I turned the car off for 20 minutes to let it cooled down. Then I turned it on again and quickly put it up the ramp and checked if any pipes were missin but everything looked fine. So I checked the codes and it said "radiator self diagnosis" so my let my car run and my friend realized my fan was struggling to spin as if something was holding it back so we looked all over the fan and nothing was making contact or was even close to making contact. So I unplugged the fan and plugged it in and let it run again and it would spin for 2 seconds stop spin for another 2 seconds and stop again as if the power was being cut off and put back on and again off. I also read that if the fan has gone bad the car will automatically tell you it's over heating even when it's not. So I couldn't figure it out so my car is just sitting like that. I'm in no way shape or form blaming the helix intercooler for this problem by the way. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. Thank you
Pull the code. It will likely tell you what has failed. Probably a fan switch or relay but really I'm just guessing.

Your oil temp is not your coolant temp so even if your oil is at 235 your coolant temp can be above normal. Some tunes can see coolant temp otherwise you would need a diagnostic tool.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
ilirduka335xi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335xi space gray

Garage List
2008 bmw 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Pull the code. It will likely tell you what has failed. Probably a fan switch or relay but really I'm just guessing.

Your oil temp is not your coolant temp so even if your oil is at 235 your coolant temp can be above normal. Some tunes can see coolant temp otherwise you would need a diagnostic tool.
i have jb4, the code im getting is "radiator self diagnosis"
      06-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
MrRager
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

sweet paragraphs