E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Car surging Help

06-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
N54 TuNeR
///Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 '08 335i Sedan

Car surging Help

HERES VIDEO:

I just got a half engine 1/2 power on Nav.checked codes & Throttle valve potentiometer 1, plausibility with regard to air mass,Throttle valve potentiometer 2, plausibility with regard to air mass.Before i turned car off i decided to check under hood.i found this,the blow-off valve opening & closing & almost stalling?Is it doing this cause of the throttle body?I had this code about a month ago & its back again.See throttle body is around 400.00 new.Trying to diagnose it if something else can cause this.Anyone run into this same problem?
: JB4/MHD, ACF ST, Precision T/S 6062, AD-Eng Mounts, PrecisionRaceworks STG_3+LPFP,//HPF Exhaust Titanium Tips, Custom HighLow OCC, Precision RaceWorks Coils,RACE InterCooler, Custom Meth Kit, v8Bait(Justin)Tuning
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

I had similar issues with the same errors. They were very sporadic, and sometimes would not return for months, but at the end of the day, changing the Throttlebody was the only thing that fixed it for good. It's a super easy DIY, and you can the part for about $300-350 online.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
N54 TuNeR
///Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
I had similar issues with the same errors. They were very sporadic, and sometimes would not return for months, but at the end of the day, changing the Throttlebody was the only thing that fixed it for good. It's a super easy DIY, and you can the part for about $300-350 online.
yeah its easy.i took it out & cleaned what buildup i found.reinstalled & seemed fine for about month.now its showing throttlebody code again.thx
: JB4/MHD, ACF ST, Precision T/S 6062, AD-Eng Mounts, PrecisionRaceworks STG_3+LPFP,//HPF Exhaust Titanium Tips, Custom HighLow OCC, Precision RaceWorks Coils,RACE InterCooler, Custom Meth Kit, v8Bait(Justin)Tuning
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54 TuNeR View Post
yeah its easy.i took it out & cleaned what buildup i found.reinstalled & seemed fine for about month.now its showing throttlebody code again.thx
I think it's the actual electronics inside that wear out slowly, I don't think cleaning really helps. You will eventually just have to pony up for a new one. You could always also try to source a low mileage one from a wrecking yard. For the price of 1 new one, I would imagine you could 2-3 used ones. The DIY is easy enough, it could be worth it, especially if you don't plan on keeping the car forever.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

I replaced throttle body and codes came back. I think, ultimately, it may have just been a poor connection on one of the subconnectors of the JB4 install. I have several other threads about it on various forums and one person suggested cleaning the contacts and bending the pins a bit to get a more sold connection. Since doing that I haven't had the problem, but fingers still crossed. I think the old throttle body was probably fine...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
I replaced throttle body and codes came back. I think, ultimately, it may have just been a poor connection on one of the subconnectors of the JB4 install. I have several other threads about it on various forums and one person suggested cleaning the contacts and bending the pins a bit to get a more sold connection. Since doing that I haven't had the problem, but fingers still crossed. I think the old throttle body was probably fine...
Oh Man... Well hopefully the issue is resolved.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
N54 TuNeR
///Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Thx ill give that a try 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
I think it's the actual electronics inside that wear out slowly, I don't think cleaning really helps. You will eventually just have to pony up for a new one. You could always also try to source a low mileage one from a wrecking yard. For the price of 1 new one, I would imagine you could 2-3 used ones. The DIY is easy enough, it could be worth it, especially if you don't plan on keeping the car forever.
Yeah im keeping car.I have looked into sourcing a junkyard salvage or buying used from one of those online autoparts store but not sure if they are reliable from some reviews i have read so.
Appreciate 0