E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Fitting 2010 Seats Into 2006 E90 - My Experience

06-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Gazza0210
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320i

Fitting 2010 Seats Into 2006 E90 - My Experience

Hi people,

As the title says, I have fitted a 2010 half leather interior into a 2006 Saloon.

I just wanted to give a bit of info back for anyone that wants to do this in the future :

- With the seats I have, one of the pre-tensioners had gone off so I just switched that round with the one from my original cloth seats. You do need to dismantle the yellow connector plug to get the connector out but this is very easy. You just lift the small yellow tabs either side of the connector and the plugs contained in the connector slide out. They will only go back one way so no worries there.

- There is a bit of misunderstanding in regards to the airbags having different connectors, mine fitted in perfectly with no alterations needed on the connector plug.

- If your seats have the Active Head Restraints (the white connector furthest left in the picture) you just need to cable tie this up out the way if your harness dont have the connector.

- There is also info floating around that there is issues with the centre lap belt at the rear not working due to the newer seat but once again this isnt an issue on mine, they went straight in.

- To get the rear backrest out there is a couple of sprung release mechanisms that need to be released after the bolts are removed from the base of the backrest. Easiest way to do it is to lay in the boot looking up at the underside of the back shelf, you will see a hole either side of the shelf. Stick a large flat head screwdriver in the hole and twist to catch the release clip, once you get it push back onto the backrest and it will release.......job done.

Overall it was an easy job, It took me a couple of hours to do but that was cos I removed the rear armrest and cut out the ski hatch ready for a subwoofer before I fitted the seats.

I have to say the comfort of the seats are rediculous, you will love them.

I have half leather manuals with a four way pad and rocker switch at the front side of each seat. I havent wired them in yet but will be doing so this weekend and will update this thread when I do.

Please do not forget to disconnect the battery as a trip to the stealers will have to follow to clear the code.

I hope this helps anyone thats thinking about fitting a new interior. It makes the world of difference to the comfort and look of the car.....its the best £350 ive ever spent lol.

Heres a couple of pics, one of the wiring for the pre-tensioner and one of the seats fitted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

not seen half leathers before, they look awesome!

was this an upgrade from SE seats?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
hobo mofo
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i e90

I do like the look of them.
      06-21-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
TomSx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d

Cheers for the thread mate. I need to do this asap tbh. Most I see have the manual bolsters so just not sure how to wire them up..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
Gazza0210
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers guys,

IceKube - Yes I have an SE which had the standard flat crappy cloth seats in it.These make a massive difference. The car is so much more comfortable.

TomSx - Ive been led to believe that all I need to do is run a switched supply to the seats to power them up. Im going to give it a go at the weekend, hopefully it works lol. Im planning on either tapping into a spare fuse on the main board or from the cigarette lighter. I will update the thread once ive done it to let you guys know how I get on.

If I can be of any help when you fit yours just give me a shout.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Gazza0210
Private First Class
Rep

So i've finally managed to wire the seats in.

It was quite easy. Heres what I did.

I disconnected the battery so I didnt end up down the stealers for a reset.
Once the seats were undone I dismantled the connectors on the seats and the harness in the car to see which ones are being used. On my seats which were from a 2010 E90 they had a brown(earth) and red/black(positive) cable on the seat plugs that had no corresponding wire connecting to them on the car harness side. When you dismantle the connector block on the seat there is two grey small block connectors, one square and one "L" shaped and one larger black one, this is where the wires for the Lumbar electrics is. I disconnected the wires and put bullet connectors on them ready to accept the new power wires.
I connected two positive cables at one end with a bullet connector to create a kind of "Y" lead. I took the trim off the back of the centre console ( accessed from the rear seats) and hooked up the positive lead to the positive on the cigarette lighter in the armrest. I dont use this so loosing power to it isnt a problem for me. I then made up a couple of earth cables and earthed each seat individually through the bolts that hold the seats in place.

I have to say, the seats work perfect. There is some nice adjustments that now make the seats even more comfortable.

Its an easy howto and really sorts out a car with no electric seats.

Heres some pictures:

If I can help in any way for anyone doing this give me a shout, i'd be happy to help out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

great job with the write up and pics, ill hopefully be doing this at some point, need to ditch my SE seats!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Gazza0210
Private First Class
Rep

No problem mate,

If you need any info when you do this give me a shout.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
G-10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d M sport

Hi, which fuses do the wires go to in the fuse box.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Gazza0210
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Mate,

I took the positive from the cigarette lighter in the armrest so if for any reason the seats blow the fuse, its going to be the one that covers the cigarette lighter.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

^^^ Shortcuts

But better than doing nothing.
Well done.
      06-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Gazza0210
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah to be honest it was a bit of a workaround but tapping into an unused positive was an easy solution lol

Next job............Fitting my components up front. I may do that tonight lol.
Appreciate 0