E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DAB retrofit - questions?

06-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

DAB retrofit - questions?

I am looking to do a DAB retrofit pretty soon and just had a few questions which someone in the know may be able to help with. My car is a LCI and I have the Pro Nav CIC with Combox doo daa factory installed.

From what I gather, there is mixed info on whether you must have the mustard connector at the back of the unit or not. Can anyone clarify? Also is there a easier way to tell whether my unit has the necessary DAB antenna connectors without removing the unit (I only want to disturb the unit when I do the retrofit as rattles are my pet hate!).

I'm familiar with coding it all up so that's all fine, but the next question is the antenna. Am I right in thinking there is two options for this...

1. run the dab antenna wire to the back of the car and buy a BMW diversity antenna, suitable for DAB).

2. Go for a windscreen stick-on antenna (I'll probably go for the most discreet one possible and go with this in the interim, until I can find a cheap enough diversity DAB antenna as they are £275 new )

Appreciate if someone can shed some light on this.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwak View Post

From what I gather, there is mixed info on whether you must have the mustard connector at the back of the unit or not.

Yes, There should be a mustard colour connector present at the back of the HU. I have seen / sold CIC with DAB and professional radio with DAB. Both had mustard colour connectors at the back.

Can anyone clarify? Also is there a easier way to tell whether my unit has the necessary DAB antenna connectors without removing the unit

No shortcuts. If your car has no DAB from factory, then there is no reason for the dealer to leave a CIC with DAB on your car without charging you
But you can still take it out to double check.

Am I right in thinking there is two options for this...

1. run the dab antenna wire to the back of the car and buy a BMW diversity antenna, suitable for DAB).
Correct. All OEM solution.

2. Go for a windscreen stick-on antenna (I'll probably go for the most discreet one possible and go with this in the interim, until I can find a cheap enough diversity DAB antenna as they are £275 new )

Appreciate if someone can shed some light on this.
Your main challenge would be;
1- Find a CIC with DAB.
2- Code that CIC to the VIN of you car. If you cannot do that, then unfortunately you will have to use the emulator.
      06-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Your main challenge would be;
1- Find a CIC with DAB.
2- Code that CIC to the VIN of you car. If you cannot do that, then unfortunately you will have to use the emulator.
Thanks for the response. I think i'll have to just pull my CIC out and see what connectors are there (wishing the mustard connector is there ) before shelling out on a replacement CIC unit.
Appreciate 0