E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Rough idle advice

06-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
MPD78
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport 2008

Rough idle advice

For the past 10 days or so my car has had a rough idle. The car vibrates and 'wobbles' slightly and has a kind of rattling sound coming from the engine bay (hard to explain). It doesn't misfire at all and it drives just fine with no power loss problems.

I've done a fair bit of searching on here for potential causes but there are a few contradictions so just after some clarification from anyone who has had a similar issue or has more knowledge than me, which isn't difficult.

The first thing that it seems people do is clean the MAF so I'll buy some electrical contact cleaner and try that. After that the coil packs seem to be next. They look like a DIY fix too. Now some threads say just change the faulty one while others say if you change one then change them all. Which is right or is that a personal choice? I bought the car last October and the previous owner had not long put new spark plugs in so it shouldn't be anything to do with them!

Also, it idles at 500rpm! Isn't that a bit low?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
vertigo44
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 335i Coupe

It should idle around 600-650rpm