E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > LUX H8 V4 Review

06-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

LUX H8 V4 Review

Ever since i pick up my e92 m3 the only thing i never like about it was the angel eye, tried tons of different halogen bulbs (dim when headlamps on), HID (way to bright rings are not define), LED (early LED angel eyes solution, way to blue), I wanted to find a solution that doesn't require opening up the headlights so i tried pretty much everything on the market.

Everything i tried so far has never match the quality and craftsmanship of LUX products, this is my 3rd LUX I purchase been upgrading every time they release a new version since LUX H8 V2. With every new version out the quality is better and brighter then the last, with that being said LUX H8 V4 are freaken bright! and the ability to change the color temp is just a plus. Been playing around with the color temp for the last two days and finally settle at 6,900k. With the V4 the outer are brighter and evenly lit

MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
infidel335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Did you notice any flickering/color changing when powering them off?

335xi: JB4 G5 | KW V1s | muffler delete | BMS DCI | VRSF 7" FMIC | VMR v703 18x8 | and your mom
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel335 View Post
Did you notice any flickering/color changing when powering them off?
when you have the lights set to auto, there a fading effect that turn bluish when its turning off which i think its pretty cool, it only has for 1-2 second so it doesn't bug. The v4 is so much brighter and the rings are evenly lit now.
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
when you have the lights set to auto, there a fading effect that turn bluish when its turning off which i think its pretty cool, it only has for 1-2 second so it doesn't bug. The v4 is so much brighter and the rings are evenly lit now.
i find that hard to believe, atleast the e90 lci rings have a design flaw & there is no way to get them evenly lit, unless the E92 are different??
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane79 View Post
i find that hard to believe, atleast the e90 lci rings have a design flaw & there is no way to get them evenly lit, unless the E92 are different??
Of course the inner rings will be always brighter due to the design of our headlights, when i mean evenly lit mean the whole outer ring is evenly lit through out the ring if that make any sense.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane79 View Post
The E92's have this problem a little worse than E90 LCI's. I have to say, the filling from the V4's looks outstanding in these pictures. A lot of the problem is people photographing the lights too close.
      06-04-2013, 02:39 AM   #7
nomis_nehc
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

I dunno man, your reluctance to open up headlights is understandable, but if that sentiment ever changes, let me know. This is the only true v4 in the market to me. Same day turn around. Notice no more fluted cornering lens either

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
LUX can thank you for pushing me over the edge and buying these! I have to say your pict is among the most representative I've seen. In real life the eye doesn't see quite as much blur around the halos but this is a good representation. I've been on the fence for a while with nothing more than a bulb upgrade from stock to GP Thunders. I thought they were a solid color improvement over stock but I installed the LUX on 1 side and tested it and the difference in brightness and color is ridiculous.

High quality product, install was easy - much easier than bulbs beacause you don't have to deal with the cable connection facing up. Took me longer to fit the wires and controller in the assembly than it did to install the leds themselves. It's alot of stuff to fit in a small space!

As far as the flicker, given a choice I'd prefer a more dignified fade out but it really doesn't bother me. In fact, I could easily see some people actually liking it or thinking it was cool. Set it at 6900k and I like it though though I may try 6300k to compare.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

the pics are nice but not in full daylight at all. could you take some in direct sun with a fast shutter
      06-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
LUX can thank you for pushing me over the edge and buying these! I have to say your pict is among the most representative I've seen. In real life the eye doesn't see quite as much blur around the halos but this is a good representation. I've been on the fence for a while with nothing more than a bulb upgrade from stock to GP Thunders. I thought they were a solid color improvement over stock but I installed the LUX on 1 side and tested it and the difference in brightness and color is ridiculous.

High quality product, install was easy - much easier than bulbs beacause you don't have to deal with the cable connection facing up. Took me longer to fit the wires and controller in the assembly than it did to install the leds themselves. It's alot of stuff to fit in a small space!

As far as the flicker, given a choice I'd prefer a more dignified fade out but it really doesn't bother me. In fact, I could easily see some people actually liking it or thinking it was cool. Set it at 6900k and I like it though though I may try 6300k to compare.
Thanks for the awesome feedback!!!! Glad to hear your really happy with these.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomis_nehc View Post
I dunno man, your reluctance to open up headlights is understandable, but if that sentiment ever changes, let me know. This is the only true v4 in the market to me. Same day turn around. Notice no more fluted cornering lens either

Notice your in the Bay Area we should meet up so i can get a up close look at your lights!

At the moment loving my Lux V4
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post

Yeah I'm not sure why ppl are complaining about the fading effect, i also think it pretty cool and doesn't brother me at all. I pretty much went through GP Thunder, Piaa, Cam HID setup and a couple knock off LED solution which does not compare to Lux, been a fan of Lux since v2 was out. I also have mine set at 6,900k but still trying to dial down the right temp, gotta love the adjustment on the fly! ahhaa.

I also have Lux LED reverse light man those are bright i just need to snap some pictures of it soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
nomis_nehc
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Notice your in the Bay Area we should meet up so i can get a up close look at your lights!

At the moment loving my Lux V4
Heh heh. Actually that E92 was a client's I sent on his merry way on Saturday.

These are my lights:

And just for lol's, here's another pic of that same E92, notice how it's still intensely bright even under the crazy hot sun this past Saturday:

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #14
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Yeah. I got the v4... Orion's that is.

Nomis does some great work. I would recommend him even tough I don't want any other v4s in the Bay Area other than my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #15
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Your lights look great, but it is really hard to get an honest pic of these things. Cameras seem to make most AE's look better than they truly are.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #16
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesuperboi View Post

Nomis does some great work. I would recommend him even tough I don't want any other v4s in the Bay Area other than my car.
There a red m3 (BADAZZM) around the Bay Area with the Orion v4, he got it awhile back never had a chance to meet up with him.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #17
hj058
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 335i

anybody runs into any issues with these bulbs? because i just did, and I just sent LUX an email hoping they can help. anyways my issue is when I turn on the HID, the angel eye shuts off after a minute or two, and i have to restart the engine for it to work again. However, everything is perfectly fine when HID is off.
      06-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hj058 View Post
anybody runs into any issues with these bulbs? because i just did, and I just sent LUX an email hoping they can help. anyways my issue is when I turn on the HID, the angel eye shuts off after a minute or two, and i have to restart the engine for it to work again. However, everything is perfectly fine when HID is off.
Nope i never had that issue, Lux should fix the problem fo ryou
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #19
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hj058 View Post
Just responded to your E-mail as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
hj058
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Just responded to your E-mail as well.
yup thanks for quick reply! appreciated
      06-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #21
nomis_nehc
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesuperboi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoChris View Post
Your lights look great, but it is really hard to get an honest pic of these things. Cameras seem to make most AE's look better than they truly are.
Quote:
There a red m3 (BADAZZM) around the Bay Area with the Orion v4, he got it awhile back never had a chance to meet up with him.
Ahahaha, superboi, I was wondering when you were gonna post that! Shame that it wasn't in another thread!

MontegoChris, actually, it's hard to capture Orions properly on camera. To give you an idea, you know how those plug and play bulbs look really nice in night time pictures? Well, you can't even capture those pictures with Orions. They are so intensely bright (but always defined), that unless you have a professional camera, night capture is just about impossible.

tmntmn, I think Umnitza actually did that one. I might be biased, but I think the smaller ring size I used for superboi is more appropriate than that red M3's
Appreciate 0