E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Add 1 litre of oil - oil level decreased rapidly - leak?

06-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
E90F30er
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI E90 320i

Question Add 1 litre of oil - oil level decreased rapidly - leak?

November 2012: noticed the oil level has been "slowly" decreasing over the past few months / weeks and the "Add 1 litre of oil" message appears. Take the car to the BMW dealer to get a litre top-up (which I have to pay for - I read some dealers do this for free?) and the mechanic notices some leaking and the vacuum pump and rocker gasket cover needs replacing.

January 2013: get the pump and cover replaced at the dealer. The oil level is back to the maximum on the iDrive screen.

February 2013: notice the oil level has gone down 2 squares on the oil level meter which has never happened so fast in the 6 years of having the car. I get the car checked at the dealer - report is no leaks.

April 2013: near end of April after not driving for 2 weeks - driving for 50 miles the message for 1 litre comes on. Hmmmm.

May 2013: depending on the day the oil level is OK (but near the minimum level) or some days "Add 1 litre of oil".

June 2013: for the past few days the "Add 1 litre of oil" is always coming on.

I only do 6500 miles a year and the oil level has never gone down so quick in previous years. My gut feeling is the vacuum pump and rocket gasket cover has not been done 100%. Or the oil sensor for the "electronic dipstick" is faulty?

Should I "Add 1 litre of oil" or see the dealer asap? The owner's manual says you should drive the car a max of 125 miles or engine can be damaged.

I know BMW say 625 miles can give 1 litre of oil consumption but the level has never dropped so quick!

Any help please!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2
Am I allowed to post the same message above in the general E90 forum or is this spamming? Non-UK people won't read this forum?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Check:
1- Vaccum pump and the area below it for any oil.
2- Areas below the rocker cover gasket for any traces of oil
3- The gasket below the oil filter for any oil
4- VANOS solenoid and surrounding

- What sort of mileages do you have on your car?
- Any other sign / symptoms?
- Has your MPG gone down lately?

If all the above is fine, then most probably your oil level sensor is faulty.
      06-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
E90F30er
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI E90 320i

Thanks; went to the dealer and they found some leakage of oil so they are going to sort this out. As it happens a couple of days before the oil level went below the minimum - the iDrive display of the vertical meter had just 2 squares and it had turned red - I suddenly topped up with a litre of Castrol Edge Professional in the boot.

My question since this drop in the oil level is due to the dealer not doing the vacuum pump / rocker cover gasket 100% properly as there's now a leak can't I ask for a "free" litre of Castrol Edge Professional (costs £17) because it's their fault I needed to top up?!?!

Anyone know the difference between Castrol Edge and Castrol Edge Professional - the Professional is only available via the dealer.
---
- What sort of mileages do you have on your car? 52000.
- Any other sign / symptoms? Noticed the exhaust a bit "white smokey" few months back when this started - could be the cold winter temperatures?
- Has your MPG gone down lately? No nothing abnormal.
Appreciate 0