E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Anyone up for the Car Control School in Bremerton on October 13?

09-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone

Garage List
Anyone up for the Car Control School in Bremerton on October 13?

I'm considering signing up. Anyone else?

Last edited by ATG; 09-18-2007 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
K335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

Unfortunately, I can't make it as I'll be in SFO that weekend. But if I were around, I'd definitely go. If you haven't been to one, go! It's well worth it!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
alistair
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 ///M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5///M  [0.00]
What's the car control school?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair View Post
What's the car control school?
It's a prerequisite for racing events that the Puget Sound CCA requires. It costs $75.

Basically they won't let you anywhere near the track for their events until you go through this class.

From the CCA site:

EVENT TYPES -

Car Control Clinic, Bremerton Raceway Park
This school has two parts, a classroom session on a week night before the track day, and a day at Bremerton.

The classroom session is held here in the Seattle Metro area. It lasts for about 3 hours, usually 6pm-9. Here your will be introduced to the terms and practices that we will be using at the track.

The day at Bremerton runs from 8am-5pm. It begins with a series of drill stations. Each station is designed to focus on a specific car control skill, offering students the opportunity to gain practical skills which they can immediately transfer to their every day driving. Stations include slalom, braking, skid pad, and a handling oval. Instructors will ride with students and coach them at each drill station. Drivers will learn the limits of their car and how to keep their car within those limits. During the afternoon, drivers will use the skills they learned in the morning to run a series of more advanced exercises.

"The objective of the school is to make the student a safer and more confident driver. The driver will have a blast and have a whole new appreciation for their BMW! If you have ever been curious why they call these 'The Ultimate Driving Machines’--spend a day with us and find out what German Engineering is all about!

The day is completed with the students putting all their new skills together in an autocross. Here, threshold braking, transitioning into a turn and accelerating out are practiced as the student learns the importance of doing this smoothly to control weight transfer."
      09-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

I'll be up for it... Sounds like just the Ticket. Pretty sure I'll be open on the 13th...
      09-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
alistair
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 ///M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5///M  [0.00]
That does sound interesting.

The only thing that makes me nervous about any of the track events, is that you're basically taking a $50,000 risk - correct? (that you'll total your car).

It's, hopefully, a small risk but still....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The only thing that makes me nervous about any of the track events, is that you're basically taking a $50,000 risk - correct? (that you'll total your car).

True, However the BMWCCA folks are a pretty reasonable bunch, and nobody is going to have you out there turning hot laps beyond your limits or comfort zone. So I kind of look at as much safer than being up in the canyons zipping along, so the chances of something going horribly wrong are pretty minimal, but I understand your hesitation. I've thought about it enough to encourage me to start looking for an E36 M3 or similar just to beat the hell outta at the track.

Have you made your way over to the Puget Sound BMW CCA web site? Lots of information, everyone is local and all growed up for the most part too. Quite a departure from much of what happens here on the regular forums. You do have to be a BMW Club Member but it's a pretty cool membership and it involves a couple of Magazines that are pretty cool.
      09-20-2007, 10:45 AM   #8
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

True, you always run a risk at the track events. As Revlis said the CCA howvever is extremely careful, and do a good job to minimize your risk. That is why you are required to attend the Car Control Clinic in Bremerton. This IS NOT A TRACK EVENT. Just a requirement before you're allowed on the track.

Puget Sound CCA claims that if you've taken a similar car control class (and can show proof of it) they will determine if that allows you to waive their class, and go straight to their racing events. Just to let you know, I've been through 6 of them, and they still won't waive anything for me. So the chance of this happening is slim.

When you are allowed at PIR for the actually race events, as you would expect there is an instructor that rides with you. You aren't allowed alone until he/she gives their approval.
      09-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone

Garage List
Let's do it!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Sounds like a plan, I think I'm going to go sign up...
      09-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #11
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Too late... School is full, waiting list started...

We could all get together out front of the school and act like the uncouth hooligans the Club seems to feel most E9X owners are!!!

Just a thought...
      09-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #12
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

You know guys there's always the open race days. I actually don't know if PIR has these, but I'll bet they do. I know for a fact that PIR in Portland does this. It's a similiar deal as with the CCA events, you still have to have an instructor in the car with you until they sign off on things, but you don't have to attend any car conrol clinic (I am 92.36% sure about this, based on what some of the forum members in Portland told me).
      09-23-2007, 10:49 PM   #13
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

Even though the class is full, I know the club would be happy to have folks volunteer to help out. Plus, I think you get a cut on a future class.

The class is VERY informative, and based on when we hit the last Car Control Clinic, it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY that you'd damage your rig during the class. Now, what you do after is up to you
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 02:57 AM   #14
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Same day as the vancouver/seattle meet. ;(
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 10:04 PM   #15
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I'm going. Had my tech inspection while having the oil cooler retrofit done. I checked with my insurance agent and I'm covered. This is a driving clinic, not a track event per se.