E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Quick question regarding E92 passenger door panel removal & the Grab Handle "INSIDE"

05-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quick question regarding E92 passenger door panel removal & the Grab Handle "INSIDE"

Just forgot how to take the passenger door panel out

I know how to remove the driver side door panel with the DIY, do I need to remove the 2 screws behind the door grip handle on the passenger side?

Thanks.

Last edited by MAZINGER; 05-28-2013 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 02:27 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZINGER View Post
Just forgot how to take the passenger door panel out

I know how to remove the driver side door panel with the DIY, do I need to remove the 2 screws behind the door grip handle on the passenger side?

Thanks.
Yup - 1st remove the door panel trim - that will give you access to the tab on the bottom of the handle trim. Pry up on that tab to get the handle trim started, and then pop off rest of way.

Screws are under that trim
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Yup - 1st remove the door panel trim - that will give you access to the tab on the bottom of the handle trim. Pry up on that tab to get the handle trim started, and then pop off rest of way.

Screws are under that trim
Crap, no reason why it was so hard to pull the panel off. I think I broke the top retaining clip that hold between the screw and body panel.

I need to buy the replacement clip since the panel is loose now.

Is there a tab on the handle outside access to the top and bottom screws or I need to pry the whole piece do the handle cover to gain access to the screws?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

The black plastic piece behind the "Grab" handle starts peeling. It looks like the grab handle inside the "Coupe" is laminated to the plastic interior door panel (maybe I am wrong). As I know, the grab handles can be removed by unscrewing the 2 screws.

I would like to remove the whole piece of "Grab" handle to do vinyl wrap, is it possible to take it out? Are there any clips that mounted to the door panel that I do not aware of?

Please help.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
seetully
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 ///M3 ZCP

Quote:
The black plastic piece behind the "Grab" handle starts peeling. It looks like the grab handle inside the "Coupe" is laminated to the plastic interior door panel (maybe I am wrong). As I know, the grab handles can be removed by unscrewing the 2 screws.

I would like to remove the whole piece of "Grab" handle to do vinyl wrap, is it possible to take it out? Are there any clips that mounted to the door panel that I do not aware of?

Please help.
did you ever figure this out..I am trying to do the same. My grab handle is peeling
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctu11y View Post
did you ever figure this out..I am trying to do the same. My grab handle is peeling
No. I believe the door handle is laminated to the door panel (1 piece). I think the best I can do is to remove the outter door grab cover, remove and clean all the plastic peel paint and lay the vinyl behind.

However, the top and bottom portion edges will not 100% protected and perfect from peeling again due to touching the door panel leather / vinyl skin of the door panel. The sides should be okay because the vinyl piece rolled back behind the door grab cover.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
seetully
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No. I believe the door handle is laminated to the door panel (1 piece). I think the best I can do is to remove the outter door grab cover, remove and clean all the plastic peel paint and lay the vinyl behind.

However, the top and bottom portion edges will not 100% protected and perfect from peeling again due to touching the door panel leather / vinyl skin of the door panel. The sides should be okay because the vinyl piece rolled back behind the door grab cover.
yeah, i was told you have to buy the whole piece...leather trim and all
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctu11y View Post
yeah, i was told you have to buy the whole piece...leather trim and all
LOL, who would spend a couple hundred of dollars to replace the door panel due to paint peel? What if they paint peel again on the new door panel.

The most efficient way is to vinyl wrap the plastic piece behind.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
seetully
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL, who would spend a couple hundred of dollars to replace the door panel due to paint peel? What if they paint peel again on the new door panel.

The most efficient way is to vinyl wrap the plastic piece behind.
Yeah im going to do the same..have some wrap coming next week
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

Please let us know the final work from you.

Would love to see some pictures.
Appreciate 0