E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > MAP sensor not seated proper

05-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

MAP sensor not seated proper

The manifold absolute pressure sensor is located on the inlet manifold and is held on/in via a rubber grommet like a push fit.

This time last year I had an issue with hesitancy at low revs and I was advised to change the MAP sensor and grommet (which I did) and partly solved the problem

However I was checking my car for fault codes and 41aa boost pressure too high came up which was the same code related to MAP sensor last year.

I had a look at the sensor and feels very loose inside the grommet so not sure if it is making a tight seal -

Would I be able to use something like gasket/silicone sealent to seal the grommet/sensor in place? or would this not be advisiable?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Would I be able to use something like gasket/silicone sealent to seal the grommet/sensor in place? or would this not be advisiable?
Most silicone sealants are NOT fuel-proof, so not advisable, unless you can find one that is, they do exist, but expensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

If its like the 335i one, its possible for the o-ring to get trapped or dislodged and not seal properly.

When you fitted it did you put a little light oil on it so the sensor & o-ring would slide in without getting 'nipped'?

If not, I'd just get another o-ring and re-fit it.

External sealants etc are always just a bodge, avoid, especially on a pressure system.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

BMW replaced it last year for me so I wouldnt know if they put a little bit of oil, but wiggling it around it does feel loose - surely the rubber grommet doesnt break down that fast?

I may just take it back out and clean sensor with electrical contact spray and refit - will order a new grommet tommorow

thanks for the heads up on using silicone sealent i wont use that
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Had a look earlier on took the sensor out, I had to use a screwdriver to lever it out so it was seated in. The sensor was slightly covered in oil so used a switch cleaner (tip dont poke a pin in the hole ) as this can damage the sensor, checked the grommet which was fine - re fitted, made sure i pushed it in fully. There was some grease around the grommet so I presume BMW did use some

cleared the the 41aa/41ab code and took it for a drive and can definatly notices the improvement - no hesitancy at low revs
Appreciate 0