E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > how to remove swirl marks

09-15-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
335rocket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i sport

how to remove swirl marks

car is only 2 weeks old and I already got swirl marks. Help
      09-16-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Queenskid24
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: With 1 Fly Girl shotgun.

autopia.com, or the ASK A PROFESSIONAL DETAILER sticky thread on top. George can definitely help you out. do some reading and watch some vids on how to use a PC. GL especially since your car is black, itll be even more work. oh and NO car washes, only hand washes.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
335rocket
Captain
United_States
Rep

thanks man
      09-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Swirl marks are often caused from improper washing and drying techniques. The best thing you can do for a new vehicle is invest in the proper washing and drying tools and learning the correct procedures for caring for your vehicle. Here's a link to a how-to that walks you through the proper washing & drying process.

Think of swirl marks as little dips and valleys in your clear coat. In order to get rid of the swirls, you have to use an abrasive polish to even out the clear coat. Depending on how bad the swirl marks are will determine how aggressive of a polish you may need. If the car is only two weeks old, lets hope nothing caused deep imperfections in the paint. Chances are you will be fine with just a finishing polish. Finishing polishes have the smallest or least amount of abrasives in them, but still have the ability to remove swirls and imperfections.

When removing imperfections, it is highly recommended that you use a quality buffer such as the Porter Cable 7424. Using the buffer will ensure that you can consistently break down the polish giving you a more uniform finish compared to a hand applied polish. Also, the time and energy it saves usually pays for itself with the first use compared to spending hours of elbow grease trying to properly work the polish into your paint. Best of all the results come out much better when using a quality buffer. To read more about properly removing imperfections in your paint, here's a how-to guide for polishing.

If you have any questions on anything presented or would like a package put together to fit your needs for your new vehicle, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Good luck!

George
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
335rocket
Captain
United_States
Rep

thanks. very helpful