E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Front Tyres Inner Edge Shredding

05-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
MaKSiNG
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Front Tyres Inner Edge Shredding

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if anyone else has ever come across this problem I have noticed on my E91.
My front Michelin RF tyres have started to look like they are 'shredding' on the inner edge. It's like the tread blocks are being ripped off. Most of them are lifting with a few ripped off.

Can this be down to the alignment being off? I can't see how this can happen unless the alignment is way out. I am almost suspecting a fault with the tyres but it seems to be doing it quite evenly across both fronts.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Terryk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 mineral grey N47 ed

what is their manufactured date?
because you are mentioning is evenly in both fronts might be faulty pressure or allignment as you say.
i think i can remember having the same issue but was with my ex 16" wheels with continental RF but this wear was due to aging
      05-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Davidlindsey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

check allignment imo as you may have some toe out.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
MaKSiNG
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Thanks guys.
I looked at the manufacture date on the fronts not that long ago and off the top of my head seem to remember it being something like 1510 or 1511, so should still be well within the lifetime of the tyre.
Something I forgot to mention is that BMW actually changed something on the front suspension a couple of months ago. The were very vague but said it was a known issue and was covered under the warranty. The car was making a strange sound as the dampers compressed when going over speed bumps. On picking the car up I asked the service advisor if they had performed a 4 wheel alignment after replacing the suspension parts and he gave me an uncategoric response which was supposed to be an affirmative so I left it. I am now in doubt this was done. It'll have to go back to them to get this looked at again. Will try to get a couple of new front tyres out of it as well
Appreciate 0