E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Turbo/ boost hose question

05-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

Turbo/ boost hose question

Hi all! At the weekend I took my car to santa pod for a few rwyb laps! Well I did about 10 runs in total all quite decent, never done it before either managed a 14.2 on my second run!

Drove home fine, while pottering around in a high gear low revs, I can hear a whistle from the boost circuit! Well last night I dropped the oil and checked around. While loaded up in D it whistles from the turbo output to intercooler! There is a rubber seal on the pipe at the turbo, do they split often or common?

It has auc warranty so it can go into bmw soon for a repair
      05-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

The 330d isnt known for boost leaks as far as I know. Certainly the intake side of the turbo is just push fit but its on the suction side. Unlikely to whistle so its probably a boost leak on the pressure side after your full boost runs. The other side of the coin is it was there before but now you are listening for issues as you know its had a thrashing.
Well done on your times.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the reply, yes it is definitely on the boost side it's at the outlet to intercooler on the turbo. There is 3 bolts holding the boost pipe with the red boost hose to the turbo itself, I will let it develop. It's not very loud but it's definitely not right. No faults yet will let it develop.

Only thing is I'm going Germany in July so hope it goes before then!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok could well be. The turbo to intercooler is well known for leaking on the 335 but its a slightly different design but yes its quite possible on any turbo car. Im not aware of any specific area on the the 330d which I guess is what you want to know. Its going to be some detective work for you. It may be easier to spot the leak after its been there for a while as getting your head down there with the turbo on boost isnt going to be easy :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh I can see the pipe easy enough, and lucky depending how you look at it. I have an auto so can stall the engine against the torque converter briefly. I think it's that as I sprayed so water around the join and it blow it out. So I'm pretty sure it is!

Yes I was just seeing if its common, I will take it to bmw. Also just a quick one, auto gearbox plug for wiring is that common place for weeping? It's on the bottom tray now and will soon build up to a drip!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
mtr123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 320d le-mans blue

i have the same thing on my 320d, so you think it's just a pipe? i have no warranty so hoping its nothing huge, not had chance to take it in anywhere yet :s
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

If its a auto you stall it out in drive, manual it's harder to create boost stationary. If you look at the turbo the boost pipe that comes from the turbo to intercooler. Which I believe is the one on the 35d which leaks. Well that pipe on mine is leaking at the turbo, I can see a rubber seal that must be split or something
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-danGT View Post
Oh I can see the pipe easy enough, and lucky depending how you look at it. I have an auto so can stall the engine against the torque converter briefly. I think it's that as I sprayed so water around the join and it blow it out. So I'm pretty sure it is!

Yes I was just seeing if its common, I will take it to bmw. Also just a quick one, auto gearbox plug for wiring is that common place for weeping? It's on the bottom tray now and will soon build up to a drip!
Yes common enough I understand. It is the mechatronics sleeve. Sump off to remove it Im afraid.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:50 AM   #9
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

It needs a service any way so good timing!
Appreciate 0