BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
reevesna
Rep
Drives: 04 x3 3.0i

Aftermarket parts/void warrenty

Hello all, just looking for some input from people who may have direct experience on the subject of adding/replacing stock parts with aftermarket parts and how this may or may not affect the warrenty, i'm not thinking anything serious or internal or anything like that, something along the lines of cat back exhaust &/or cold air intake remapping chip, you know things of that sort, i was thinking Dinan, but anyways feel free to offer your experiences, thoughts, opinions whatever, thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
fijigabe0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport

here's the way it works in the US: a manufacturer cannot deny your warranty claim unless they can prove that the aftermarket modification directly caused the defect. this is all reflected in the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.

thus: if you add a "cold air intake" to your car, and your engine fails, and it's sourced to improper filtration of the air entering the engine (just hypothetical), then they can attribute the damage to the modification and deny coverage.

However, if you add said "CAI" and you then have a problem with the transmission, then it's very difficult for BMW, or any manufacturer to attribute the damage to the transmission to the CAI (even though the net effect is to raise your power output, the difference is negligible in terms of impact on the transmission). or if you add an exhaust, and your headlamps fail, again, there's no direct correlation between the modification and the damage.

Keep in mind: adding an intake, exhaust, etc. will violate the warranty on the item that's removed. if you are on a lease, and you pull that stuff, be ready to put it all back in EXACTLY the way it was when you purchased the vehicle.

'13 335i M-Sport

Past - '06 330xi, '07 X3 3.0si, '09 328i, '12 X3 XDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
CampioniShop
Rep
Drives: na

A great solution for that would be direct bolt-ons, very easy to replace once your lease is up.

We offer an exhaust for your particular model, here's a link :
http://www.remusexhaustshop.com/tips...504-p-522.html

Free shipping too
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
fijigabe0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport

remus, don't be a punk. that wasn't his question. you should be banned for that post.

'13 335i M-Sport

Past - '06 330xi, '07 X3 3.0si, '09 328i, '12 X3 XDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 05:15 AM   #5
CampioniShop
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevesna View Post
Hello all, just looking for some input from people who may have direct experience on the subject of adding/replacing stock parts with aftermarket parts and how this may or may not affect the warrenty, i'm not thinking anything serious or internal or anything like that, something along the lines of cat back exhaust &/or cold air intake remapping chip, you know things of that sort, i was thinking Dinan, but anyways feel free to offer your experiences, thoughts, opinions whatever, thanks
We answered the question.

Last edited by CampioniShop; 11-11-2007 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0