F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AFE Scorcher & BMS Stage 1 thoughts and views
Extreme Powerhouse

03-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Casualvic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

AFE Scorcher & BMS Stage 1 thoughts and views

Hello forum, I am going to compare and talk about AFE Scorcher and the BMS stage 1. I owned the BMS for about 2 months and the AFE for 2 weeks. overall this will be a fair comparison because these vehicles don't take time to "re learn" the tune, what you have is what you get.
I know there is already a thread talking about these 2 tunes but if you went on there, they seem to be BMS heavy and tend to stray away from comparing the two. I owned both of them so I can give some insight.

The AFE Scorcher is better than the BMS! It has more power felt in both comfort and sport. BMS has no change in sport mode, a noticeable difference in sport, but does not justify wasting your time and money. Wait a little longer, save up and get the AFE. <<< that is the "I don't like to read, this thread, its too long" answer>>>> keep reading and I'll tell you why

I have a 2013 BMW 328i xdrive, automatic, with a K&N intake filter and that's it for engine mods. I use 91 grade fuel and I'm not a race car driver, I don't take my car to the racetrack. I use my car as a daily driver in moderate speeds to and from work at speeds of 25 and 35 mph (military post). . I do like to put my foot on the gas when I get a chance to remind myself why I got a BMW. Missouri has some great curvy and isolate back roads! The biggest problem and reason I relied on tuning is the lack of response when demanding power of my f30. The 3 modes are cool but I'm not a coder and hate to press the sport button every single time I start driving. ok enough talk

BMS Pro's
has a great price and can be upgraded to stage 2 and possible updates. BMS has a reputation for tuning, they have been around longer than AFE tune. Installation is simple and connects to more locations in the engine compared to the AFE. BMS seems to be more popular in this forum, so if you have any questions, there are many threads covering the stage 1, not to mention there's a dude that is considered a god (people are ALWAYS referring to him and what he says is the law). Here is something I want to praise about the bms... the sport mode is very noticeable!! it feels like I do when I drink a monster or 4 cups of coffee. Compared to the AFE, you know you just pushed the sport mode! It is responsive and holds gears longer for faster speed. Before I installed the bms, the car had a weird clakity clakity, kind of loud sound when it just sat in the driveway. That went away after the tune was installed, it quieted it up. lastly, BMS claims that there is a 14 day satisfaction guaranteed, so I suggest buying it straight from the burger motor tuning. If you don't like it, you can get your money back.

BMS Stage 1 Con's
The power is not there!! many members will get on this site and give awesome reviews and claim it is a night and day difference. YES! I did say that sport mode is noticeable, but, I feel it is just a high revving, longer gear holding difference. Automatic gear change, especially down shifting, is very rough. you can feel the shifting, compared to the stock. In comfort mode I really did not feel a difference. It felt like stock, I wrote to BMS and they said I had to step down on the gas harder to feel the difference. Although, that sounded lame, when I removed the bms I can feel the difference but most certainly not by much. I have been told that I could just code it to be on sport all the time, I personally don't think I would do that, the drive would be to irritating for daily driving with such noticeable shifting.

AFE Pro's
easy install and there is a blue light that turns on when properly connected. This is a plus because at first, I installed the afe wrong... no cel light came on but the blue light was not lit. BMS on the other hand has no indicator that unit is working correctly. A bms representative told me that if it is connected correctly there will be no cel code. I took off and put on the bms tune to make sure it was installed correctly and it was the same performance both times. On AFE, comfort mode is very noticeable!!! it is more responsive and does not require you to step down on the gas as much to get power. This is a plus for me because comfort is on 98% of the time. When I rev hard and drive fast & furious, there is a sound difference on the AFE, it is louder, it really surprised me.

AFE Con's
hardly anyone has too much information on it in this forum, this would be good to get different aspects and use of this product. I have to admit that the really only bad's is the high price and less impressive sport mode. The sport mode is not a unchained crack head like the bms. It is not as responsive or high revved. Don't confuse this with lack of power. Sport mode in the afe lets you feel muscle and horse power compared to the bms. You can feel more torque and it lets you know that the car will kick ass. I guess the afe has a delay and lack of high rev to get up and go.

I am by no means tied or loyal to any of these tunes company!!! I am not getting a discount or free stuff from both of these manufacturers. As a matter a fact I'm real pissed with AFE because I emailed them about cat back fitment for my xdrive, and they said they dont know if it will fit, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I just want to give an honest opinion on my experience and hope to give someone knowledge since I had both of them.

AFE is the the way to go!!!! if your driving habits are like what I posted in the beginning and your not to interested in buying crazy grade fuel, get the AEM. BMS has a great price but just doesn't deliver in power.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Turboedv6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Apline White Sportline 328

I'm glad you like it!
      03-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Casualvic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboedv6 View Post
I'm glad you like it!
ya bro, it was just what I wanted
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
sleet
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Would just like to add my 2 cents to this thread:

I was using TMC piggyback chip for about 9 months before I made the switch to AFE. Although the AFE makes less HP top end, it brings in the torque much earlier in the lower rpms. Because sports mode would place the engine at about 2.2k+ rpm by default, I was already sitting on a pretty high torque compared to the TMC chip, so I couldn't feel that much 'oomph' when I floored the accelerator. Does that make sense? You probably felt the same way too Please refer to the chart below:

I made the switch because low end rpm is more usable for daily driving. I have no comments on BMS.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Casualvic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleet View Post
Would just like to add my 2 cents to this thread:

Although the AFE makes less HP top end, it brings in the torque much earlier in the lower rpms.
yes! for my style of driving, I love that torque in lower rpms
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

On the Stage1 they've mapped it to run smoothly and transition between settings (eco, comfort, sport) as the factory tune does. If you're looking for more control over how the power is applied and a lot more of it then you'll want to wait for the Stage2. @ $529 it's about the same price as the AFE and *a lot* more tune not to mention full built in vehicle diagnostics. Also remember the AFE tune doesn't have MAF control so you need to also buy a Bavarian Technic tool or CAN Tool to clear possible tuner detection codes before going in for service if you are under warranty.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casualvic View Post
AFE is the the way to go!!!! if your driving habits are like what I posted in the beginning and your not to interested in buying crazy grade fuel, get the AEM. BMS has a great price but just doesn't deliver in power.
As I understand it, BMS admitted that Stage 1 was always a mild tune upgrade, with a stage 2 to come later on. Never about battling with aFe or anyone else on being the best and most powerful tune for the F30 328i. Besides, aFe's tune wasn't around when S1 was released.

Only issue is aFe's boost is fixed and cannot be upgraded, whereas BMS is about to be upgraded. Will you be comparing Stage 2 to aFe at any time?

I'm very happy with BMS Stage 1 tune on my car, across all driving modes.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

I'm happy with the afe tune I drove on a customer car on the race track. It felt great! Lots of additional power with nice, smooth throttle tip-in. No problems during a long, hot day on the track. Definitely a significant power increase.

One thing I really noticed was during my orientation laps, the power curve at less than full throttle was very strong. I can imagine that during daily driving, where you are usually at partial throttle openings, the increase in boost would be very obvious. Great tune!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

So I take it you weren't selling the BMS tune I bought from you because "you can't open her up on the Military base". Caught you!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Casualvic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
So I take it you weren't selling the BMS tune I bought from you because "you can't open her up on the Military base". Caught you!
caught me what man? I told you I didnt like it, I tellz the truth, no trickery here!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Casualvic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
I'm happy with the afe tune I drove on a customer car on the race track. It felt great! Lots of additional power with nice, smooth throttle tip-in. No problems during a long, hot day on the track. Definitely a significant power increase.

One thing I really noticed was during my orientation laps, the power curve at less than full throttle was very strong. I can imagine that during daily driving, where you are usually at partial throttle openings, the increase in boost would be very obvious. Great tune!
I really like this comment! I get information on how it AFE handles on a race track!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
Casualvic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Also remember the AFE tune doesn't have MAF control so you need to also buy a Bavarian Technic tool or CAN Tool to clear possible tuner detection codes before going in for service if you are under warranty.

Mike
this is good info to know. Do you have the AFE scorcher and did it throw tuner detection codes? I would hate to take the scorcher off thinking it would not be detected an bmw dealership then find out it does
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #13
Casualvic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
As I understand it, BMS admitted that Stage 1 was always a mild tune upgrade, with a stage 2 to come later on. Never about battling with aFe or anyone else on being the best and most powerful tune for the F30 328i. Besides, aFe's tune wasn't around when S1 was released.

Only issue is aFe's boost is fixed and cannot be upgraded, whereas BMS is about to be upgraded. Will you be comparing Stage 2 to aFe at any time?

I'm very happy with BMS Stage 1 tune on my car, across all driving modes.
thanks for defending BMS's honor! lol, this thread is not about a battle of AFE VS BMS. its simply about my experience and knowledge gained from having the two.
I already stated " Only issue is aFe's boost is fixed and cannot be upgraded, whereas BMS is about to be upgraded"
I wont be comparing bms stage 2 because I sold my stage 1 to another member here, $330 for tune, usb cable, and free priority shipping. I probably will not get the bms setup/stage 2 because looking at other threads it seems like this tune is only as good as the fuel put in it. I hate paying high gas prices, especially if its just for power. for now afe is working awesome for my needs
Im glad your happy with the BMS
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #14
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
this thread is not about a battle of AFE VS BMS. its simply about my experience and knowledge gained from having the two.
What's the aFe's turbo boost compared to stock?
Do tuner codes come up with aFe?

Glad you are enjoying your aFe piggyback tuning kit.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #15
MarkyMarkOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328

Thanks for the personal comparo. I must say that I agree with your assessment of the BMS unit in Sport Mode, but disagree with you on the comments about Comfort mode. I like the transition between the modes with the BMS unit and in Comfort mode the torque for city driving is what I want coupled with the gearbox map makes for a good drive with better response. What gives me greater confidence in the BMS investment is the additional sensor input (and therefore also safer on any CEL codes) coupled with the upgrades if wanted/needed. These maybe minor or major points of consideration depending on what you want from the initial investment. Your comparo gives a good individual view on the differences and depending on what someone wants from the 'stage 1' investment then is a good guide I think on which unit to look at coupled with ones own research. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Also remember the AFE tune doesn't have MAF control so you need to also buy a Bavarian Technic tool or CAN Tool to clear possible tuner detection codes before going in for service if you are under warranty.

Mike
Too bad the folks from Bav Tech won't sell the tool because they say it doesn't work right for the f30 yet. I tried to buy one directly from them yesterday and they flat refused to sell the tool. Hopefully they will get the bugs out of the software as I really like the system's ability to read live data from the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #17
metrathon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Honestly without having tried any of the products yet, I'll order BMS stage 2 first. Reason? Generous return policy.
And this might be the reason why I'll end up with BMS: just because I got to try their product first. AFE should pay attention to this aspect, it makes a big difference in the customer's decision making process.
Past affairs: 2014 Lexus RX 350 | 2012 BMW 328i Sport | 2009 Audi A4 2.0T | 2007 BMW 750Li | 2006 Kawaki Ninja 650R | 2004 BMW 530i | 2004 BMW 520i | 2001 BMW 530i | 2003 Opel Vectra | 2002 Citroen Xsara
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
Too bad the folks from Bav Tech won't sell the tool because they say it doesn't work right for the f30 yet. I tried to buy one directly from them yesterday and they flat refused to sell the tool. Hopefully they will get the bugs out of the software as I really like the system's ability to read live data from the ECU.
FYI it works fine with the BETA software. BMS has two F30s and uses it all the time.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #19
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
FYI it works fine with the BETA software. BMS has two F30s and uses it all the time.

Mike
Is that what you're selling to customers - the BETA software? If so I might be interested. However Bav Tech said the BETA still has issues so they wouldn't even let me try that out.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
caught me what man? I told you I didnt like it, I tellz the truth, no trickery here!
Haha I wasn't being serious and definitely wasn't suggesting anything malicious. Are you going to track your car?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #21
Casualvic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
Haha I wasn't being serious and definitely wasn't suggesting anything malicious. Are you going to track your car?
lol, I know. I would love to go to the track...problem is, there arent any where im from. They call fort leonard wood, fort lost in the woods for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #22
Casualvic
Private First Class
Rep

As an update, gas mileage went up compared to BMS, getting 23 MPG on every day drive compared to 20/21. Another thing....I may have to disconnect battery because I drove it today and it didnt have the UMPH! it had in the first days
Appreciate 0