ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-06-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
HouTexDavid
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0

Auto-dim mirror question

I have recently bought a 2003 Z4 3.0. The car apparently has the auto-dim feature on the interior rear-view mirror, as it seems to respond appropriately to varying light conditions.

My question is about the outside mirrors. These seem to be constantly dimmed. I.e, the mirrors always have the "bluish" tint indicating that they are dimmed, and they do not seem to change with differing light conditions.

The 2003 owner's manual seems to be ambiguous about this. Under the heading "Interior and Exterior mirrors with automatic dimming feature", the manual has this statement, "This mirror automatically dims ..." (emphasis added). The confusing part is the "this mirror" statement - does this mean only the interior rear view mirror automatically dims or does this mean that all three mirrors automatically dim?

Can anyone clear up this confusion for me? Does the "auto dim" feature on your Z4 work on all three mirrors?

Thanks... David
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Welcome, BTW.

The sensor is located on your rear view mirror. At least for my zed, once the sensor's triggered, all 3 mirrors (rear view, drivers, and passenger sideview) dim @ the same time. Hold a flashlight over the sensor and see what it does.
      09-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
HouTexDavid
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0

Thank you, Rick - good suggestion, I will try the "flashlight" test... David
Appreciate 0