E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > In between Details

03-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #1
pugxs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport

In between Details

Hadn't washed my car for quite some time (had been ill and busy with work) so gave the car a detail yesterday. Involved was:

Rinse with Karcher PW
Wash with lambs wool mitt 2BM
Dry with AG drying towel
Bilt Hamber clay bar
Autoglym SRP
Farcela G3 Wax

I'm relatively new to detailing so these are just things I have picked up reading various forums etc. Any pointers welcome.

My question is it possible to wash the car without stripping he wax off and then having to do it all again.

I like to wash my car every 2 or 3 weeks. I've just bought the pressure washer and was thinking of getting an autobrite foam lance. Would this be good enough to strip the dirt between details without taking the wax off?

Also if anyone can recommend a better wax that would be great. Only got the G3 to get used to waxing without spending mega money first.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
BimmerW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d/320i

Hey pal,

Well pics first!

Yeah, a foam lance is OK...but for a better finish, just shampoo over and wash, a lot of shampoos come with Carnauba wax so helps top up that shine, check out AutoSmart, they have some good shampoos.

Just make sure you don't use anything strong like fair liquid or APC and you'll be fine!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
DMH-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

You'd be better off using a decent citrus pre-wash through a pump sprayer. Look at Valet Pro Citrus Pre-wash, it's wax safe and a lot better cleaner than snow foams.

Then give the car a wash with a wax safe shampoo (Dodo Juice BTBM is my favourite).

Once you've dried it use a QD to top up the protection. There's plenty on the market but I tend to use FK425.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
jimbo666
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Welcome to the pocket emptying world of detailing!

I use a foam lance purely with AS Actimousse now. I did use HazSafe but have found that Actimousse has a better cleaning power and does not degrade LSP.

If you're only washing your car every 2-3 weeks, I'd probably recommend a durable wax/sealant. I assume you're on detailingworld.co.uk?

I use Megs Shampoo Plus, purely as it's served me well for years and I do quite a lot of washing so it makes sense for me to buy it in bulk. I've used AS Duet but really didn't get on with it. I think shampoo usually comes down to personal choice.

I mainly use FK1000p, Megs #16 or Werkstat Acrylic. These are quite reasonable on price and will last in the pot for ages.

Here's my plist of products here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744853
Obviously I don't do this process every wash!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

It is indeed expensive!!! Which reminds me I must have a clear out.

Anyway - my current favourites for after the weekly wash are Zaino z6 and z8 - a different league. And they they go on over all the other products I stick on (sealant, glaze, wax) without mishap.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
pugxs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport

Thanks guys some good info there.

So it's perfectly safe to wash the car as normal whilst waxed as long as the shampoo is 'wax safe'?

I was worried that if I washed it properly ie with mitt etc that I would just strip the wax right off again and have to do the whole process again.

That's why I thought about snow foam because could 'rinse' the car with that each week to get the surface dirt off without stripping the wax off.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
jimbo666
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

I have used snow foam in that fashion before; as a quick going over if I've got not time for a full wash.

I always snow before I wash though. It gets most of the shite and grime off before putting a mitt to the paint.

Most of the shampoos available through the detailing suppliers are made for the job. I'd avoid cheap own brand shampoos from halfords etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #8
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

PH neutral shampoo will be fine - most are.

I do use snow foam and the two bucket wash method after.

But I also tend to stick wax on every few weeks in summer just for the pleasure. It only takes a few minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

Nice process, looking forward to some pics

I have no access to a water source so could not use the water pressure kit like Karcher so the snow foam is not achievable in this case, is it ?

Cheers !