E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Diesel issues

03-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
les330
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 330d

Diesel issues

Hi

Is there any benefit in using higher octane diesel over ordinary diesel or is it simply a waste of money.?
Running 2006 e92 330d auto with evolve remap.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by les330 View Post
Hi

Is there any benefit in using higher octane diesel over ordinary diesel or is it simply a waste of money.?
Running 2006 e92 330d auto with evolve remap.
The higher cetane fuels do typically give the best combustion, you get a smoother more controlled flame burn. Around 55 is the top figure that has an affect on the combustion. The cleaning additives are also beneficial for helping keep the engine parts cleaner and also help smoke reduction.

Give something like BP Ultimate a try see what you think and notice. I know my 330d was more refined and quieter on the BP, plus a bit more economical, always felt it had more mid range urge using the Ultimate. Didn't cover the extra cost of the fuel, but at least the engine was running better.

The alternative, to add to the cetane rating and have more cleaning additives, is use something like Millers in each tank, cheaper than a premium fuel.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #3
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

I also have a 330d auto. since buying it 31/12/12 i have only ran it on shell v-power diesel mainly because i have a shell card and there is more shells near me than BP. I watched this video, i know it was on petrol engines but still goes to show you the difference. I figured that if that made a difference surely the diesel version should also?

Also this video is quite old now, but it should still be the same none the less, plus diesel technology has moved on lots in recent years
      03-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

with the 335d cant see any difference to Tesco diesel, certainly notice a difference with shell extra expensive petrol in the 330i but then Tesco 99 is as good and a lot cheaper
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I bought a gallon of Miller's a couple of years back which I split with a mate & over the next 12 months I tried single dosing or double dosing on every fill. After using 2.5 litres of it in twelve months with no appreciable benefits I gave up on it & didn't experience any increase in noise or drop in mpg. I can't say whether the engine remained any cleaner but I never noticed any appreciable benefits from using it & I'm I'm fairly sure I've read that bmw state not to use additives.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I always put BP Ultimate in my 330d as it makes the car more responsive, IMO. I wouldn't say its particularly quicker, just more lively under the right foot. Any other fuel I've tried just seems to make acceleration feel flat. I've run Ultimate in both my LCI and pre-LCI 330d and it goes well in both. I tried Shell V Power in my LCI once and couldnt tell any difference with it and was glad to get a tank of Ultimate back in it.

The thing to do is try a couple of tankfulls yourself - it you dont think there is much difference - then dont put it in again. .

Be careful of additives as some tests have shown (5th Gear did some tests a while back) have actually reduced power. Whenever I've used them over the years they never seem to do anything.

Edit, here we go:
Appreciate 0