E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Regarding a new car key, is this possible?

09-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Phoenix0327
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Regarding a new car key, is this possible?

So I searched for a while and couldn't find an answer to this. At least not a clear one I could understand, so I apologize if this is a repost. SO...

When I bought my car in march it came with 2 fobs, but one fob was missing the valet key/blade that's inside it (this thing: ). That fob will start the car but not open the door, and it doesn't seem to charge.

My question is, if I buy a blank blade, can I have it cut JUST SO IT WILL OPEN THE DOORS (manually)? It doesn't have to do anything else, I just want to be able to get in the car. It doesn't seem to need or have any electronics in it but I have no idea. Or is there another way to go about this, maybe another key? I just don't want to spend $300 at the dealer when I already have something that will start the car and all I need is to unlock the door.

All the other posts I found were regarding reprogramming the remotes and having the older keys cut that were attached to the remote for starting the vehicle. I couldn't find a definitive answer about having this piece cut just for car access, so sorry again if this has already been asked.

Thanks!!

Edit: OH! Almost forgot... If this is possible, would any locksmith be able to cut it? Or is there a special process/machine?
      09-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Thp4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i msport

The dealer can sell you the pre cut blade. When I bought a replacement key (CA) the fob was one price and the blade was a separate part and programming for comfort access was another charge. I believe the blade was 70 to 90 bucks by its self... But it's been a while so I could wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

You should be able to get the blade cut at the dealer. Also try a locksmith if you have an original.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Phoenix0327
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Cool! Well I don't have comfort access so that shouldn't be a problem. And I can buy what looks like an uncut blade on eBay for $8-9. There's a locksmith next door to my house but they said they wouldn't cut that key (I have an original) but I could call a few more. I'm assuming this would mean that I could have it done out of dealer, and that a locksmith cut blade/key would open the door, yes?

I guess I'll call the dealer tomorrow and ask about how much the precut blade alone would be (I had no idea they'd sell it alone). Anyone else with any insight would be appreciated but otherwise this is great.

Thanks guys!
      09-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thp4 View Post
The dealer can sell you the pre cut blade. When I bought a replacement key (CA) the fob was one price and the blade was a separate part and programming for comfort access was another charge. I believe the blade was 70 to 90 bucks by its self... But it's been a while so I could wrong.
If you buy a standard key fob the key is an extra for $80.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix0327 View Post
Cool! Well I don't have comfort access so that shouldn't be a problem. And I can buy what looks like an uncut blade on eBay for $8-9. There's a locksmith next door to my house but they said they wouldn't cut that key (I have an original) but I could call a few more. I'm assuming this would mean that I could have it done out of dealer, and that a locksmith cut blade/key would open the door, yes?

I guess I'll call the dealer tomorrow and ask about how much the precut blade alone would be (I had no idea they'd sell it alone). Anyone else with any insight would be appreciated but otherwise this is great.

Thanks guys!
Any Joe Blow locksmith cannot cut these keys as they are laser cut by HUF in Germany using this really neat laser. Only very few locksmiths in the US have the equipment to cut HUF laser keys and those work with the manufacturers through a contract. BMW will provide you a new key blade that is cut in New Jersey or California and sent to the dealer for pick up. All of them require just your ID and registration.
Appreciate 0