E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How bad did I screw myself?

09-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
DarkAsNight
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

How bad did I screw myself?

Just bought a 2008 335xi out of warranty with 67k. From what I have been reading that seems to be a very ballsy thing to do cause these cars seem to be very finicky, especially when you start modding them. My issue is I can't leave a car stock. I need a good amount of power but I dont need to launch it light to light. I would just like to be able to hang with a majority of cars.

I am very mechanically inclined and built my previous 800hp car, I just don't know this world. How tough are the BMWs to work on? Would I be able to swap my own Transfer cases or does BMW have specific tools.

I had the water pump just replaced before I bought it but I still have to go in for the Fuel pump recall and one other as well.

What should I look out for?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAsNight View Post
Just bought a 2008 335xi out of warranty with 67k. From what I have been reading that seems to be a very ballsy thing to do cause these cars seem to be very finicky, especially when you start modding them. My issue is I can't leave a car stock. I need a good amount of power but I dont need to launch it light to light. I would just like to be able to hang with a majority of cars.

I am very mechanically inclined and built my previous 800hp car, I just don't know this world. How tough are the BMWs to work on? Would I be able to swap my own Transfer cases or does BMW have specific tools.

I had the water pump just replaced before I bought it but I still have to go in for the Fuel pump recall and one other as well.

Look out for failing turbo wastegates.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

You have bigger balls and deeper pocket then i do lol. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
DarkAsNight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
Look out for failing turbo wastegates.
They fail I will be looking for up grades or going one to one larger single turbo. I have (2) Gt2860rs's sitting in my garage right now but I think that would take way to much fab work to fit.

I was trying to read up on these turbos, the waste gates are a different design then most aftermarket correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
You have bigger balls and deeper pocket then i do lol. Good luck.
*Had deeper pockets. The way I saved most my money was doing all my own work but I feel like BMW tries to prevent that.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:

You may need to check yourself in for some professional help.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
phillip@bmpdesign
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

In our experience they aren't that finicky as long as you respect that it is awd, other than that it should work like any other 335i. One of the only things that stopped me from getting an xi instead of an i is that I don't know how well the guy before me kept up with his awd system. The system has more sensors and monitoring than other cars, but as far as the x-drive its not something crazy and unmodifyable.

Basic upgrades that are easy and cheap hp would be intake, downpipes, tune. That should get you closer to 400hp pretty easy and are solid upgrades. Your engine is a beast and probably the most solid powerplant BMW has put on a production car.

We have seen a few 335s come in with wastegate leaks, but its usually a plastic nipple on the end of the hose that is easily replaced with a metal counterpart, maybe we've just been lucky.
Like us on facebook!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
DarkAsNight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
Are these cars really that big of problems? Here I thought i had traded up, but if I can't mod safely and can't keep up with most cars wtf.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
Garik
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Sounds like you know what you are doing. If something breaks, you will just upgrade it...

If it was under warranty, then you would need to keep it as close to stock as possible...

So you are on the right track , Enjoy!
      09-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
DarkAsNight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip@bmpdesign View Post
In our experience they aren't that finicky as long as you respect that it is awd, other than that it should work like any other 335i. One of the only things that stopped me from getting an xi instead of an i is that I don't know how well the guy before me kept up with his awd system. The system has more sensors and monitoring than other cars, but as far as the x-drive its not something crazy and unmodifyable.

Basic upgrades that are easy and cheap hp would be intake, downpipes, tune. That should get you closer to 400hp pretty easy and are solid upgrades. Your engine is a beast and probably the most solid powerplant BMW has put on a production car.

We have seen a few 335s come in with wastegate leaks, but its usually a plastic nipple on the end of the hose that is easily replaced with a metal counterpart, maybe we've just been lucky.

Thank you for some sound advice. I don't like feeling that i just dropped 27k on something I cannot mod. I am bringing the car in for the recall service and when I do so I will see if they can run through the sensors and AWD drivetrain fluid for me. The previous owner was an older gentleman that didn't drive it hard but idk if he may have neglected it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garik View Post
Sounds like you know what you are doing. If something breaks, you will just upgrade it...

If it was under warranty, then you would need to keep it as close to stock as possible...

So you are on the right track , Enjoy!
Yea I just don't want to do what i did with my old car... 35k down the drain and Im sitting on a built motor, trans, and twin turbo kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Dude idk about you but unlike most other members on this forum I don't believe that a car is shit just because it's out of warranty. I'm mechanically inclined and do all of my own maintenance. I'm at 58k, I've had this car for 20k miles and with zero problems (knock on wood)

Like you said- you're mechanically inclined. If anything DOES break, fix it yourself.
      09-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Don't worry, you didn't really screw yourself at all. The majority of the 335's problems have a recall/warranty on them, such as the HPFP, Turbo's, etc (You are going to have to search, but if I can recall, they are covered until 8yrs/82k miles regardless if you have CPO/Factory warranty, or none at all in your case on the turbos). You said your water pump is already replaced so that's good. The only things I would consider doing at your milage to get a fresh start and avoid headaches, is do an intake manifold walnut blasting to clean up carbon deposits, replace all of your plugs and coils (to prevent misfires. I'm sure it's due anyways), and change your transmission fluid if you are automatic.

Regarding your turbo situation, remember if you are rattling, just bring it in and setup a claim for new turbo's. You will get new ones replaced for free. If you are set on upgrading, look into Rob Beck Hybrid twin turbo's, as well as Vishnu's Single turbo system. As of right now, I don't think anyone has fabbed up a manifold and slapped on a generic turbo just yet, so if you wanted to do your own single prepare for RnD
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
^Why?
      09-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0Surge View Post
^Why?
He's trolling i'm pretty sure lol
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
He's trolling i'm pretty sure lol
i hope so.
      09-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
i hope so.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
DarkAsNight
Rep

Quote:
Dude idk about you but unlike most other members on this forum I don't believe that a car is shit just because it's out of warranty. I'm mechanically inclined and do all of my own maintenance. I'm at 58k, I've had this car for 20k miles and with zero problems (knock on wood)

Like you said- you're mechanically inclined. If anything DOES break, fix it yourself.
Hope I have your luck. I typically just plan ahead so if something does happen i know the route i am going to take so i'm not beating around the bush trying to figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Don't worry, you didn't really screw yourself at all. The majority of the 335's problems have a recall/warranty on them, such as the HPFP, Turbo's, etc (You are going to have to search, but if I can recall, they are covered until 8yrs/82k miles regardless if you have CPO/Factory warranty, or none at all in your case on the turbos). You said your water pump is already replaced so that's good. The only things I would consider doing at your milage to get a fresh start and avoid headaches, is do an intake manifold walnut blasting to clean up carbon deposits, replace all of your plugs and coils (to prevent misfires. I'm sure it's due anyways), and change your transmission fluid if you are automatic.

Regarding your turbo situation, remember if you are rattling, just bring it in and setup a claim for new turbo's. You will get new ones replaced for free. If you are set on upgrading, look into Rob Beck Hybrid twin turbo's, as well as Vishnu's Single turbo system. As of right now, I don't think anyone has fabbed up a manifold and slapped on a generic turbo just yet, so if you wanted to do your own single prepare for RnD

Is there a thread with all the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) I would be able to find? Thank you for your help an I will be be sure to attempt that if thats the case and things start going faulty. I will do some research and try and figure out the plugs you guys run and such. I was thinking about doing a full tune up before I take a long drive down to GA from NY.

Car is a 6 speed. Not too fond of the clutch, looking to install a clutch stop actually for a more aggressive feel.

Here is a coulpe pictures of the car, body is overall good just need to pull some hail dents which isn't a problem.

Clay bar, Polish then two coats of wax.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out. I am very new to this world
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
... My issue is I can't leave a car stock. I need a good amount of power but I dont need to launch it light to light. I would just like to be able to hang with a majority of cars...
??? A 335 is more than able to hang with a majority of cars. If that's all you want, why modify it? Indeed, a 335 is faster by quite a lot than a majority of cars, especially the ones on public roads.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
DarkAsNight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
??? A 335 is more than able to hang with a majority of cars. If that's all you want, why modify it? Indeed, a 335 is faster by quite a lot than a majority of cars, especially the ones on public roads.

I may have worded that wrong then. I'm used to 600+whp and a majority of the cars I associate are all upwards of 450whp at least. The 335 cannot keep up with most all V8s.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

I bought my E92 335 with 110k, and all Ive needed has been replacement of the hpfp, on BMW of course. I am waiting for the stock turbos to go so I can get some RB's. If you do your oil changes, maintain the cooling system, and make sweet loving to your car every now and again it will treat you like any other BMW. Random crap on BMWs will fail, but to me, its worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Mod the hell out of it! No matter what people say on here the mods won't mess your car up! You will! It's all on how you drive and maintain the vehicle, Treat her right and shell keep you happy!

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #21
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

if you want to mod it, then go ahead, good you don't have warranty to begin with, so BMW can't void your warranty after your mods, you have nothing to lose anyway. except when you need to get your car fix when things go wrong, anyone other than you is going to have a hard time because of your mods, the first thing they say is "this went wrong because of your mod", but you said you are mechanically incline, maybe you can fix everything yourself
Appreciate 0