E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Thinking about selling... Thoughts?

09-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
ElliottP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Question Thinking about selling... Thoughts?

Greetings all! It's been quite a while since I've posted. I still have the 08 335i mentioned in my sig. It's up two 51K miles now though. I am thinking about selling it and what some opinions.

I've moved recently to Canton, in Baltimore, MD. Its a downtown city living situation. I park on the street. Break-ins are an unfortunate reality, and it will inevitably get dinged from time to time. I am really just over babying it so much, and am afraid it will steadily lose value at this point.

I also just don't enjoy driving that much anymore. I take the bus to work and drive sparingly on the weekends. I feel like someone that's really into having a fiercely powerful car would enjoy it more.

And finally, I would rather have it paid off at this point, and not be paying BMW $700USD a month. Speaking of money, now that the warranty is over, I bet I'm in for some surprises when it needs service. I already know a headlight is broken, and that'd cost $1500 to fix. Ugh.

All these things considered, I am really close to selling it and moving on. All that's holding my back is the fact that I've already spent around $52k on this thing and I'm not going to get that back. But I guess that's what happens with a new car.

I took it to Carmax and they offered $21,500. They would have gone more but I don't have runflats so they said they'd have to replace all four tires to sell.

I've heard I might be able to get more selling it myself. Wondering how much...

The present configuration:
  • 2008 335i
  • Dinan Stage II ECU mod
  • Sport
  • Premium (w/ 19" stock wheels)
  • Navigation
  • Cold Weather
  • Black Metallic
  • Black Leather
  • Wood Grain
  • Tinted
  • Regular tires
  • Tow hook license plate mount

Could I get more than $21,500? Or should I just sell it for the easy buck? Other thoughts? Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Definitely sell it privately. You're in no rush to sell it anyways. You should be able to get about 3-4k more selling it privately, and you get to meet the person you're selling your baby to so you know it's going into good hands. A dealership wouldn't appreciate your Dinan Stage 2 either, while it may and probably will make a potentional buyer jump on it. All together I'd say definitely sell privately, it's a no brainer.

Also, what car are you considering getting instead?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
2ndname
Autobot
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Sell privately if you decide to sell the car. Given your circumstances and at this point of your life I would definitely sell the car while it's still in the 20s. I would KBB the value since most private buyers will start off the negotiation with that. Stack your paperwork and any tasteful mods you've done to the car as your bargaining chips.

Think of it this way, you'll be able to drive a nicer/newer BMW once you're ready for another. Good luck and keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
MattMD
E9X > Everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 Corvette Z51

Can you take the Dinan out and sell it here? I'd be weary about selling a tuned car to a dealer; the buyer probably won't know that it's tuned. They assume it's stock. You might be able to sell the tires on Craigslist/ebay and put some cheap runflats on too; ask your sales rep how much more they would pay you with run flats.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

where are you located?

id be interested in taking a look at purchasing your car.

can you still get the cpo from the dealer?

let me know.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Private for $25? Carmax will probably try to sell it for $26.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

lets post pics please

you know they low ball you to death when you go to carmax. dont give it to them, they will sell that baby for 27k, telling their customers what a steal it is!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

Carmax wont keep the car on the lot, it will go straight to auction. They'll probably make $3k on it at auction as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Speedwagon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sportwagon

If it was me I would find a garage to park it in. And when the weekend rolls around or I feel the need for speed, hop on the bus and off the garage! You will never get your money out of it, it's just like giving it away!!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
omerfar23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335i, 2008 335i e92

I am in the same boat. I don't use the car much and the two door is not working for me.
      09-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottP View Post
Its a downtown city living situation. I park on the street. Break-ins are an unfortunate reality, and it will inevitably get dinged from time to time. I am really just over babying it so much, and am afraid it will steadily lose value at this point.

...I also just don't enjoy driving that much anymore....
Well, you're already steadily losing value in it. And those two statements above really indicate, to me, that you have no need for the car.

Quote:
And finally, I would rather have it paid off at this point, and not be paying BMW $700USD a month. Speaking of money, now that the warranty is over, I bet I'm in for some surprises when it needs service. I already know a headlight is broken, and that'd cost $1500 to fix. Ugh.
Ain't that the truth!! I had some service done recently, and ouch!!!!

Quote:
I took it to Carmax and they offered $21,500. They would have gone more but I don't have runflats so they said they'd have to replace all four tires to sell.
That, and it's a manual (from your sig), so that would count as a negative to them. Also, below are negative comments a prospective buyer might say:

-2008 335i <-- it's almost 5 years old and the "old" body style

-Dinan Stage II ECU mod <-- oh, it was abused

So, I agree you probably don't need the car. Private sell will do you better if you sell to an enthusiast. Otherwise I'd think you'd waste your time and effort, and may be worth the possible loss of $2-3k by selling it to Carmax.
Appreciate 0