E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > headlight replacement

09-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
tarheel87
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

headlight replacement

First post here. Just parked my "new" '06 325i in the garage only to notice the adaptive headlight failure warning on the dash. I did quite a bit of searching and could not come up with an answer so here it goes. It seems the drivers side headlight is stuck. It does not auto level when I start the car and it does not move left to right.

I don't really want to take it to the dealer to pay $60 for them to tell me I need a new headlight. I also don't want to put $150 into a module and have that not be the issue. I found a headlight from a salvage yard for $250 that is guarenteed to work. My question is; can I plug this OEM headlight from the salvage yard into my car and have it work properly?

I know if I bought a module I would need to have it programmed. Will the replacement OEM headlight need to be programmed as well even though it was on another vehicle working? Is the programing vehicle specific?

Thanks for the help and I apologize if the first 4 replies are of links to threads where my questions are answered in the subject line. I'm sleep deprived and frankly a little upset when I saw 4 digit numbers being thrown around in the "my adaptive headlights failed" threads.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
RobsgottaM3
Roll Tide Roll!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/Slick-Top/Single Hump/6MT

I am having the same issue and its at the dealer getting fixed as we speak. They are replacing the headlight and module and it does need to be programmed. Cost is around $1800 for parts and labor. During the reprogram my cluster stopped working so the entire car needs to be reprogrammed. Was told it can take up to 18 hours.
Only silver lining for me is the dealer that I bought the car from is covering all the costs since it was out when I bought it 3 weeks ago.
      09-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

assuming your existing headlight module is ok and the headlight stepper motors are what is bad, you can unbolt the good module from the bottom of your existing headlight and move it over to the new headlight. you won't have to reprogram it.

if the existing module is bad, then you are going to have to reprogram.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
BavarianBuilt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2000 328ci

Can some one describe to me what the headlight module is? Is this the same as the Control Unit? I ask because I too am having headlight issues. My issue though is that my Control Unit is bad. I was under the impression that I could buy one second hand and it would not require a program? Don't intend to thread jack here, just had a relevant question and it seems you guys know what you're talking about.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

This is the problem with xenon lighting and no warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

The module bolted to the bottom of the headlight is called an SMC II

It is referenced in this thread....
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594897

Do a few searches with SMC II
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

and the diagram for modules is here....
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/10/75/22
long story short.... it looks like the FRM (footwell module) controls the SMC (headlight motor control module), which then controls the headlight motors

You can interchange used SMC modules without programming. New ones need to be programmed because they are blank. It attaches under the headlight (small metal box). Must be same side though to do a direct replacement without reprogramming... left=left , right=right
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
tarheel87
Rep

Is it likely that the the control unit would come with the used headlight? I'm having trouble getting a response from the guy selling it. If it doesn't it's a 50/50 chance either way whether I buy a control unit or a headlight.

Is there a way of telling if it's my control unit or the motors that are bad?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

yea if you want to troubleshoot whether it is your headlight motors (stepper motors) or if it is the module that controls them, switch them.

you would have to remove both left and right side headlights and change the SMC module with the opposite side. the lights will probably act in reverse of how they should but if the light moves, then you know that the motors are good and you need a new SMC module. flip them back to the correct side and buy a used module so you dont need to recode.

if your light does not move, then it is safe to say the motors are bad. order a new headlight.

anyway...
if the guy won't give you a direct answer about if the light comes with the module or not, ask him to take a picture of the headlight assembly. the metal module box is on the bottom.... part number 3...

looks like this....

anyway to recap... flip your current SMC modules left to right, and right to left. see if the dead headlight starts moving and if the working one stops moving. if so, then the module is bad, flip them back and get a used module to replace the dead one.

if flipping the modules has no effect then the headlight motors are likely bad and you can reuse your current modules and just get a new headlight.

make sure any module you buy used if for the correct side (l or r) otherwise you will need to recode it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
BavarianBuilt
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I'm sorry this is really confusing to me now. Is the "module" the same as the control unit? Is the SMC module shown in the parts diagram above? What is its part number?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

the car has many modules, the SMC module is the Stepper Motor Controllor module. It controls the stepper motors in the headlight. I have no idea what the "control unit" is, it could be the FRM footwell module because that unit takes a lot of inputs from things like the steering angle sensor and speed sensor, and then passes that info to the SMC. it could also be the SMC itself.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
BavarianBuilt
Enlisted Member
Rep

The control unit is #8 in the above diagram. It makes a direct connection to the D1S bulb. I guess it could also be known as the ballast.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBuilt View Post
The control unit is #8 in the above diagram. It makes a direct connection to the D1S bulb. I guess it could also be known as the ballast.
looks correct....
08 CONTROL UNIT XENON LIGHT 2 63126948180 $413.73

that is definitely a ballast like you said, it has no control of the motors for the adaptive headlight movement.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #14
tarheel87
Rep

I'll be swapping units tomorrow to try and troubleshoot. I have a feeling my passenger side light isnt't moving left to right either even though it auto levels. Are the units that control auto leveling and left to right motion one in the same or are they seperate?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #15
BraveHelios
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 545i

More Alc Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
and the diagram for modules is here....
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/10/75/22
long story short.... it looks like the FRM (footwell module) controls the SMC (headlight motor control module), which then controls the headlight motors

You can interchange used SMC modules without programming. New ones need to be programmed because they are blank. It attaches under the headlight (small metal box). Must be same side though to do a direct replacement without reprogramming... left=left , right=right
I have an E60 2004 545. Not sure how similar it is to an E90, but my adaptive headlights stopped working. No more swinging down and up when first starting the car and as far as I can tell, no more swinging left and right when driving. The only indication of an error on the dash is the green LED by the headlight switch now continuously flashing. No errors in the instrument pod (info center between tach and speedo) nor on the center console screen. I attached my INPA reader (laptop) and found two codes: 932E; ALC-System Defect; Implausible signal or value, Test conditions fulfilled, Error would not cause a warning lamp to light up AND, code: E519, Alive signal of ALC system is missing, Implausible signal or value, Test conditions fulfilled, Error would not cause a warning lamp to light up. I am trying to figure if the culprit is one of the SMC modules or the footwell module or one of the stepper motors. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #16
nikanon
Rep
Drives: E90 2007 MT

i also have the same problem. condensation got inside and adaptive error now. Thinking module might be the issue. have a used lamp for replacement
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #17
BraveHelios
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikanon View Post
i also have the same problem. condensation got inside and adaptive error now. Thinking module might be the issue. have a used lamp for replacement
How do you know which side has failed?
Appreciate 0