F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 320d F30: Auto or Manual...any recommendations?
GetBMWParts

07-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 520d M Sport Plus

Question 320d F30: Auto or Manual...any recommendations?

Hi guys,

Ive ordered my F30 320d SE Auto. However Ive missed out on some good add on's to keep the price within budget. I am considering getting the Xenon's and the H/K added on but am wondering should I do this at the cost of switching to manual transmission?!!!

I have driven manual cars for over 10 years so it wont be an issue for me. However the new steptronic auto gearbox with 8 speed manual tempted me alot and hence I went in for it. I am now wondering if its really needed!?

What would fellow F30 owners recommend??? Ive already maxed out my budget as initially I was planning to go in for an Golf MK6 or a Passat however since I test drove the BMW I have crossed those options out.

I might just add the extra bits I want and will be ok with that however wanted to know if the auto transmission is a sensible choice or should I use that £1525 towards some other add ons

Also, is there a big difference between Jet Black and Sapphire Black????

Any advice is really appreciated. Many thanks

Regards,
K

Last edited by hsirk; 08-05-2012 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
ikonic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 328I M-Sport

I kind of had a similar dilema to yourself except that I was trying to choose between Sport Auto or Professional Nav.

In the end I went with Nav (and therefore) manual because although I really enjoyed using the sport auto with its paddles on the test drive, I had a niggling doubt that it was a novelty that I would get bored of soon enough.

I've been borrowing one of my parent's cars whilst waiting for my car to arrive..... an automatic (no fancy manual paddleshift override) Mercedes..... And there have been plenty of times when I've grown frustrated with not having the added control of a manual. Coming from a high revving Honda Type R, I see changing gear on a slick manual shifter as a real pleasure rather than a chore.

As it happens, my brother took delivery of a F10 5 Series with the Sport Auto and it confirmed my suspicions...... I don't think he has ever used the paddles and has always just whacked the car in straight auto. There's no doubt its an incredible 'box with silky smooth shifts, but if you like your driving I think manual is the way forward.

So I feel pretty happy to have made the choice of manual!

However, my salesman did mention that Auto equipped cars do command a useful premium when it comes to used car sales..... it tends to be the first option buyers look for when checking out used cars if that comes into your thinking at all......

As for the blacks..... well Jet is flat and sapphire is metallic.

I think Jet (when clean and detailed) actually looks deeper and more "black" than Sapphire does. ie. Jet is more defined and darker whereas Sapphire can look a bit more "light" depending on the lighting conditions.

However, being a metallic, Sapphire is slightly easier to maintain and won't show up swirl marks as badly as Jet would. As a general rule, go for Jet if you're someone who spends your time on "Detailing World" but I think most people would be better off sticking to Sapphire.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonic View Post
I kind of had a similar dilema to yourself except that I was trying to choose between Sport Auto or Professional Nav.

In the end I went with Nav (and therefore) manual because although I really enjoyed using the sport auto with its paddles on the test drive, I had a niggling doubt that it was a novelty that I would get bored of soon enough.

I've been borrowing one of my parent's cars whilst waiting for my car to arrive..... an automatic (no fancy manual paddleshift override) Mercedes..... And there have been plenty of times when I've grown frustrated with not having the added control of a manual. Coming from a high revving Honda Type R, I see changing gear on a slick manual shifter as a real pleasure rather than a chore.

As it happens, my brother took delivery of a F10 5 Series with the Sport Auto and it confirmed my suspicions...... I don't think he has ever used the paddles and has always just whacked the car in straight auto. There's no doubt its an incredible 'box with silky smooth shifts, but if you like your driving I think manual is the way forward.

So I feel pretty happy to have made the choice of manual!

However, my salesman did mention that Auto equipped cars do command a useful premium when it comes to used car sales..... it tends to be the first option buyers look for when checking out used cars if that comes into your thinking at all......

As for the blacks..... well Jet is flat and sapphire is metallic.

I think Jet (when clean and detailed) actually looks deeper and more "black" than Sapphire does. ie. Jet is more defined and darker whereas Sapphire can look a bit more "light" depending on the lighting conditions.

However, being a metallic, Sapphire is slightly easier to maintain and won't show up swirl marks as badly as Jet would. As a general rule, go for Jet if you're someone who spends your time on "Detailing World" but I think most people would be better off sticking to Sapphire.
Yeah I do like the freedom you have with manuals. Auto is more of a luxury not my first choice Id say as I do like to have that extra control you have with manuals. I will be heading to the dealership first thing tomorrow morning and see what my options are on changing the spec. As its just been 1 week since my order Im hoping there wont be much fuss.

I already upgraded to the metallic black since my order was placed which delayed delivery by 20 days!!! Guess the delay is worth it considering the spec's. If the dealer sat me thru these spec's Id not be in such a situation. All they sold me was GAP insurance and Supaguard which I opted out off anyway...lol
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Similarly, I was all set on getting the automatic, even test drove one. It was the test drive that convinced me to go manual though. The auto is great, but the manual just gives that extra control. I found myself missing the stick and the ability to change when I wanted. The money I saved went into a whole heap of extra options and a much happier choice of car.

I made heaps of changes to my original spec and it made no change to my delivery date. That may have been because it was so far in the future that it didn't matter. I'm now in lock down so can't make any more changes even though my car build won't be started for another week
      07-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
Similarly, I was all set on getting the automatic, even test drove one. It was the test drive that convinced me to go manual though. The auto is great, but the manual just gives that extra control. I found myself missing the stick and the ability to change when I wanted. The money I saved went into a whole heap of extra options and a much happier choice of car.

I made heaps of changes to my original spec and it made no change to my delivery date. That may have been because it was so far in the future that it didn't matter. I'm now in lock down so can't make any more changes even though my car build won't be started for another week
Yeah know that extra control is awesome with the manual. If I go ahead with the Auto it would be for 2 reasons; 1 - Driving on London roads to/from work especially and 2 - This car would be used by my partner down the line and she's better off with an auto!!!

Im off to the dealership tomorrow morning and hope I can decide by then. The fact of getting additional spec with that money is all the more tempting.

@rjberry - When did you put the original order in? Just trying to get a time frame for my order to go into build. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Im going mad thinking if I should stick with metallic black or jet black....the £610 could be put to use somewhere else....what a situation
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishf30 View Post
@rjberry - When did you put the original order in? Just trying to get a time frame for my order to go into build. Cheers!
Mine was ordered on 24/5 so already over 2 months. I think it went locked and unable to change the spec on 9/7 when I added the individual exterior and interior. I had a message from the dealership to say that my car is due to be with them at the end of August for an early September delivery. The original estimated delivery date was 21/9

It has already been a long wait but still 5 weeks to go. I'm going crazy waiting and I think my wife is already tired of hearing about this car!
      07-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Msporty
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDude196 View Post
What about white non metallic if your worried about maintainance of jet black?
Alpine White....it's the future
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What about white non metallic if your worried about maintainance of jet black?
Nah...Alpine white is a good colour, but have my mind set on black. Maybe I will stick with jet black and get a vinyl wrap done later on. Lets see what happens at the dealership tomorrow...thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
Mine was ordered on 24/5 so already over 2 months. I think it went locked and unable to change the spec on 9/7 when I added the individual exterior and interior. I had a message from the dealership to say that my car is due to be with them at the end of August for an early September delivery. The original estimated delivery date was 21/9

It has already been a long wait but still 5 weeks to go. I'm going crazy waiting and I think my wife is already tired of hearing about this car!

Thats way to long. As of now on the paperwork the delivery is 29/09 but with the spec change it will delay it further I presume.

Wish they had a manufacturing plant in the UK or elsewhere in Europe which would ease the burden....I see the Olympic F30s daily on the road and just cant wait to have the keys to mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msporty View Post
Alpine White....it's the future
Sapphire/Jet Black and Alpine/Metallic White both look really good on the SE models. The Blue rocks on the MSport...thats just my personal view guys

All other colours are for the over 50's just kidding

Last edited by hsirk; 07-29-2012 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Haha! Agreed!
As for the auto/manual dilemma, I think it was mentioned you live in London, which has lots of congestion, which means lots of gearchanges. An auto would male your life easier. But if your used to manual and don't mind staying that way, then yes I'd put the money elsewhere. Afterall, £1500+ is a lot of money
Yeah! Will test drive the Auto tomorrow...I cant believe I only test drove the manual and booked an auto based on reviews and YouTube vidoes....well the F30 does make you lose your senses...alteast in my case!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What have you decided?
Kept the initial sapphire black and the sport auto gear box and have added the following;

1.Xenons
2.Sport Steering Wheel
3.Rear Camera
4.H/K System
5.Black Panel Display
6.M Sport suspension

Last thing I wanted was to add leather interiors but had exceeeeeded my budget bigtime hence left it.

Got a 7.5% affinity discount and an interest rate of 3.9% APR for the PCP. Couldnt ask for more

Now just gotta sit tight till mid Sept
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nice spec! Be sure to post pictures when she arrives. Sorry if this is a stupid question, what's an affinity discount?
No question is stupid trust me...Ive thrown the wierdest questions at my salesman lol

Affinity is Sytner's coroprate discount scheme, my company offers an upto 10% discount if I purchase my car thru Sytner BMW. For the F30 you can get 7.5% off the OTR price
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

I was dead set on the auto until I drove one back to back with a manual. The auto is great, don't get me wrong, but I found myself thinking it wasn't worth the extra over the manual, and on the test drive I kept fiddling withn the Eco/Comfort/Sport button to try and get a shift pattern that suited my driving style (i.e. changing gear when I would've done).

The flappy paddle manual mode was good though - very fast and smooth changes.

Went manual in the end, but largely because the dealer had an AW 318d in stock with a nice balance of options.

Previous: F30 318d Sport, R56 MINI Dooper 2010, E93 325i M-Sport auto 2007, E91 320d SE 2005, E46 318Ci Coupe 2002
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #16
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarvey View Post
I was dead set on the auto until I drove one back to back with a manual. The auto is great, don't get me wrong, but I found myself thinking it wasn't worth the extra over the manual, and on the test drive I kept fiddling withn the Eco/Comfort/Sport button to try and get a shift pattern that suited my driving style (i.e. changing gear when I would've done).

The flappy paddle manual mode was good though - very fast and smooth changes.

Went manual in the end, but largely because the dealer had an AW 318d in stock with a nice balance of options.
When is the delivery due? Pics please
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

Been on holiday and when I got back our Internet was down

Got pics now and will start a new thread with pics and spec.

Previous: F30 318d Sport, R56 MINI Dooper 2010, E93 325i M-Sport auto 2007, E91 320d SE 2005, E46 318Ci Coupe 2002
Appreciate 0