BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

07-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
SOARISTO
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep
Drives: New M3 Coupe M-DCT

Cool DIY: Making the "Real Sound Design System"

Hello, M3 Fighter Pilots!!

First of all, I introduce myself. I am living in Tokyo, Japan.

My hobby is car DIY which you loves too. Its range is to electronical things from mechanical things.
Quote:

#Refer First Version and KAIZEN Version.
This is one of the typical work of my electronical DIY. I named it "High-Power LED White Angel-Eye Lamp". I had made ​​it a few years ago before another manufacturers released same similar products.

Now, I introduce my new work. I named it the "Real Sound Design System".

One of the many innovative equipments which are installed in the new M5 (F10) is the "Active Sound Design System" (ASDS).

The ASDS synthesizes the additional sound which is changed by engine rpm, throttle angle, vehicle speed and etc. And it plays the sound from the car audio system.

The ASDS is mounted on the back of the rear seat in the trunk room.

Pros and cons are discussed hotly about this gimmick in the M5POST.com.

So, I was particular about not "Synthesized Sound" but "Real Sound".

The "Real Sound Design System" (RSDS) consists of four microphones and one sound mixer.

The first two "Microphone Amplifier Unit" (MAU) are installed in the engine room and the remaining two MAU are installed near the exhaust pipe.

The "Sound Mixing Unit" (SMU) is installed in the center console near the audio auxiliary input.

This is "Microphone Amplifier IC". It has "Auto Level Controller" (ALC). The ALC operates as amplifier for small sound and as compressor for loud sound.

This is "Electric Condenser Microphone" and its frequency response curve. It has fine flat characteristic from low frequency to high frequency.

I was selected electronic components for audio circuit. These are low noise resistors, capacitors, cables and etc.

I bought them at "Akihabara Radio Department Store" in Tokyo, Japan.

This is the prototype work of the MAU on the universal circuit board with noise shielded pattern.

This is the MAU.

By the way, when I flashed this idea, I explained it to my wife. But she could not understand this great wonderful amazing idea.

She said that "Why do you have to make me hear this annoying Noise in your car?".

Could someone explain the difference between the Sound and the Noise to her? And could someone persuade her? Please.

(To Be Continued)

#Refer here for more new activities.

Last edited by SOARISTO; 07-28-2012 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Sounds like a complicated project. Good luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Stronie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80M3 Comp. 6MT

Update? Video?
Appreciate 0