F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > How to update idrive software
Studio RSR

07-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
G3raldT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Jet Black / Black

How to update idrive software

Just got my baby Denisse (328i) and i was wondering how to update the software of the idrive. Is it even possible? Is there even an available update?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

There is a bluetooth profile update available online here:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...gion=&country=

Major software updates are only installed at the dealer when you take your car in for service.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
CESIUM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 X30i Msport, Carbon/Oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
There is a bluetooth profile update available online here:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...gion=&country=

Major software updates are only installed at the dealer when you take your car in for service.
How do we know when Major updates are out? I want to do some coding and I don't' want it to be wiped out when I go for my first service...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESIUM View Post
How do we know when Major updates are out? I want to do some coding and I don't' want it to be wiped out when I go for my first service...

Thanks
I don't know of any way to find out if there are updates or whether or not service will install them automatically or not.

I just went through what you described; I took the car in for service last week (an early first oil change) and minor complaints about the auto stop-start system being rough and stalling.

They found a software update that addressed the issue, so they installed new software on my car. This wiped out all of my codings. The tech even noted that they saw my custom codings and wiped them out for me. All of the iDrive settings were also reset. I had exported our profiles to a USB stick before I took it in, so it was easy to restore our profiles when I got the car back.

When I went to recode, I found that I needed to get the current coding files as the ones I had were now out of date.

Bottom line is that if you want to code, you have to deal with possibly having to do recoding after taking your car into service. That's part of the experience you get when you code your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
CESIUM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 X30i Msport, Carbon/Oyster

Sounds good, so it sounds like the best bet is to wait to do my first big code after I have my first service call... If I can wait that long! At 8k alreay though
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

I also took my car in for service due to issues with the auto start stop and the dealer performed an update to the software. I didn't lose any settings though, so i wonder if the tech saved my profile beforehand.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungholelyo View Post
hmmm i am able to download the update but when i open it to view the files its a non existent file and it asks me to

"use the web service to find the correct program"

or

"select a program from a list of installed programs"

what should i do?
If you are talking about the Bluetooth / Media update, there are instructions on the BMW site.

The basic procedure is to copy the downloaded file to a blanks USB stick, put the stick into the arm rest USB port, and Select Software Update from the iDrive Settings menu.
Appreciate 0