E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > just venting...my car sounds like a beat up taxi!

06-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
chicagolab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2006 TiAg

just venting...my car sounds like a beat up taxi!

(got more mad after washing my car)I washed the car/rims myself applied nanoprotectant and it looks great.

But, driving around the city it sounds like crap.

:mad: after I drive for about a half hour, the car (brakes I think) are squeaking at low speeds when the brakes are NOT pressed. When I press the brakes the sound goes away. The noise is EXTREMELY annoying. Service scheduled for Tuesday, just venting

also getting the steering column replaced for ELV malfunction:dunno:

at least I'll ge the idrive update

I mentioned this before but now its worse and so is my anger, a 40k plus auto should not sound so terrible (then again its probably the $500 brakes that sound terrible).

I was thinking of keeping the car for a few years out of warranty, but now I'm having second thoughts because these repairs would be so expensive if out of warranty
(a new steering column, and possibly brakes every year plus whatever else may happen)

E90 330i | Titanium Silver | Black/Aluminum | Step | Idrive | Sunshades | PDC | Heated Seats | M3 Lip | Roof Spoiler | Front Splitters | Lux 5.0 | Blacklines
Link to my European Delivery write up:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143486
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
RANJHA
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagolab View Post
(got more mad after washing my car)I washed the car/rims myself applied nanoprotectant and it looks great.

But, driving around the city it sounds like crap.

:mad: after I drive for about a half hour, the car (brakes I think) are squeaking at low speeds when the brakes are NOT pressed. When I press the brakes the sound goes away. The noise is EXTREMELY annoying. Service scheduled for Tuesday, just venting

also getting the steering column replaced for ELV malfunction:dunno:

at least I'll ge the idrive update

I mentioned this before but now its worse and so is my anger, a 40k plus auto should not sound so terrible (then again its probably the $500 brakes that sound terrible).

I was thinking of keeping the car for a few years out of warranty, but now I'm having second thoughts because these repairs would be so expensive if out of warranty
(a new steering column, and possibly brakes every year plus whatever else may happen)
yah man i get the same problem with the brakes...good luck
      06-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

the brakes rusted when you were washing the car, once you use them a bit it will go away

this is normal for all cars with disk brakes
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
chicagolab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2006 TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
the brakes rusted when you were washing the car, once you use them a bit it will go away

this is normal for all cars with disk brakes
Unfortunately, it does not go away. It is there daily for the last 2 months. It may be rust, but its not going away with driving. I drive a lot and its always there

just hope the dealer will appropriately address this

E90 330i | Titanium Silver | Black/Aluminum | Step | Idrive | Sunshades | PDC | Heated Seats | M3 Lip | Roof Spoiler | Front Splitters | Lux 5.0 | Blacklines
Link to my European Delivery write up:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143486
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
We feel your pain man. But you do not have to put up with it. I had this...took some patience to have the dealer look at it several times, but in the end...they said it was the "brake sensor" needing to be completely replaced and the rear brake pads replaced. I no longer have this rotational squeek at low speeds. 2 months or so...and still good. I only hope this lasts.

You can see here what we discussed before, and what people had tried.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=brake+noise
      06-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

I just started having the same issues...getting a rotational squeek squeek squeek noise from the rear rotors. I have about 6400 miles on mine so far. Sometime next week at work Im going to pull the rear pads off and bevel the edges with a file. I've found out that alleviates the squeaking noise, which is mostly due to the perpendicular surface of the pad to the rotor. The pad is kind of 'skipping' across the rotor, which causes it to vibrate, which in turn causes the squealing noise.

There was a bulletin previously out about E60s if I remember correctly....the rear pads and the brake sensors (front and rear) were made from a substandard material, and needed to be replaced because they caused squealing noises.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

yea i just noticed this on my e90 traveling at low speeds with the windows down(it was gorgeous in the northeast today!) guess ill have to bring it in for warranty service! grrr
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd View Post
We feel your pain man. But you do not have to put up with it. I had this...took some patience to have the dealer look at it several times, but in the end...they said it was the "brake sensor" needing to be completely replaced and the rear brake pads replaced. I no longer have this rotational squeek at low speeds. 2 months or so...and still good. I only hope this lasts.

You can see here what we discussed before, and what people had tried.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=brake+noise
I had the same problem as magmd. They kept "cleaning" the brakes and the sound would return within a few months. Initially, they told me that it was "normal" for disk brakes to squeak every now and then.

I even had someone from the shop take a ride with me to hear the sound (would only start after driving for about 10 minutes or so in "stop and go" situations). I only heard the sound when driving slow and it would go away when I applied the brakes. On the last visit, they found that my brakes were actually worn below BMW specs, despite the iDrive saying I had about 10k miles left and attributed the problem to bad brake sensors. They replaced the sensors, brake pads, and disks. It has now been almost 2 months and the sound has not come back. I hope the problem is now solved for good.

Hopefully your dealer will look at the brakes and sensors and not simply rely on the service message from the computer/iDrive.
Appreciate 0