E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Review - '07 328i convertible

06-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
clc5174
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 'vert

Review - '07 328i convertible

Four out of five stars...

http://www.mercurynews.com/drive/ci_...nclick_check=1
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Requires a subscription. How about cutting and pasting here for us?

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
clc5174
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 'vert

Hmmm... I didn't sign in... Here it is:

Test Drive: 2007 BMW 3-Series convertible
PRICEY FUN IN THE SUN
By Matt Nauman
Mercury News
Article Launched: 06/22/2007 01:50:20 AM PDT

Click photo to enlarge
2007 BMW 328i convertible«1»
Video
Matt Nauman takes the 2007 BMW 328i convertible for a spin

Related Stories
Jun 22:
Convertibles: Let the sun shine inWhat it is: BMW 328i convertible
Base price:$43,200
Price as driven: $49,075
Exterior
Top up, now that it has a metal roof, the BMW convertible lacks the crisp sense of purpose achieved by the coupe's design. Top down, however, it's a striking statement: fast, yet poised; aggressive, yet not childish. It's an iconic look that will stand the test of time.

Interior

Done in black Dakota leather - with new sun-reflective technology that keeps seats up to 36 degrees cooler - our test model reflected the serious nature of BMW design. The front seats support spirited driving, while the back seats are best left to packages, not people. Instruments are precise and easy to read. Buttons are a bit small, but well-organized. There are plenty of storage bins, though the cup holders that pop out of the dash are dreadful.

How it works

While the 335 model gets turbo-chargers, the 328 makes do with BMW's naturally aspirated 3.0-liter in-line six-cylinder engine. Coupled with a six-speed manual, this motor makes 230 horsepower - up 46 horsepower from last year's 325Ci convertible and goes from 0 to 60 mph in 6.7 seconds. With this sweet stick shift, I think there's plenty of power for most drivers.

Neat bit

BMW adds a retractable hardtop for the first time, and it's a crowd-pleaser. It lowers in 22 seconds, raises in 23 seconds and is like an electro-hydraulic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
carnival show. The three-piece steel roof makes for a quiet ride when you decide to keep the top closed. A trunk partition makes for a bit of trunk room, but just a bit.

Fumes

20 mpg city and 29 mpg highway. According to www.fueleconomy.gov, this car with the same engine and transmission will get 17/27 in 2008 using the new EPA formula.

What others say

"With the day warming and my hair whipping, I tried and failed to think of a hotter combination of four seats, open roof, and excellent performance at this price," wrote Lawrence Ulrich in the New York Times. "The 3-Series defies the stereotype of convertibles as fair-weather toys."

Matt says

It's overpriced and isn't really the four-person convertible it claims to be, yet the 2007 BMW 328i convertible is hailed by critics and praised by its owners. Why? It's a wonderful combination of style and engineering, of sporty luxury and wind-in-your-hair abandonment. Even at nearly $50,000.

On second thought

While the $750 cold-weather package adds heated seats, and the $2,650 premium package adds leather seats and some enhanced mirror functions, it's the $1,200 sport package with its 18-inch alloy wheels, better tires and sportier suspension that makes this already road-hugging car such a joy on the twisties.

Is it a keeper?

Through May, the 328i is easily BMW's top-selling convertible in the United States, over the other 3-Series variants, the different Z4 models and the 6-Series droptops.

Online: video, blog

Check out our video test drive of the BMW convertible and Auto Editor Matt Nauman's "Every Car I Drive" blog
Appreciate 0