E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Logic7 upgrade: SWS-8 and/or 10” or 12” JBL GTi

04-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
thaar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i x-drive MHD

Logic7 upgrade: SWS-8 and/or 10” or 12” JBL GTi

I recently picked up a 2009 e90 with Logic 7 stereo and the low-end is lacking. I’m used to ripping out the entire stock system and starting from scratch with a head unit, amps, front stage and subwoofer, so this setup is pretty new to me as I’d like to keep the stock looking appearance and use the current controls. I prefer SQL systems and think the high-end is decent right now, though I may think otherwise once I install some low end. Some questions:
  1. Should I start with the SWS-8 upgrade to determine if it provides enough low end?
  2. Does the sws-8 provide decent midbass if I choose to add a main sub later, or do they tend to get washed out by the sub?
  3. Should I just say screw it and do both now? Will the current highs keep up with a sub and upgraded 8’s? I already have a sub amp that accepts balanced inputs.
  4. Earthquake isn’t necessarily known for being clean, however, I’m not really looking to spend $1000 to replace the 8’s with Morels. Are the SWS-8’s decent for a SQL setup?
  5. If I go with a multi-amp setup, will I need a processor? I think I will based on my understanding, but I’m not certain.
I’m trying to be somewhat economical right now, but I have a tendency to go overboard with this stuff, so I’m open to options.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
vertspeed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i e93

Smile

Yeah what he said, someone please chime in. I have the exact same questions!!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Have you looked at:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420444
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

1. Should I start with the SWS-8 upgrade to determine if it provides enough low end?
    You have to consider your final path...see next question
  2. Does the sws-8 provide decent midbass if I choose to add a main sub later, or do they tend to get washed out by the sub?
    SWS doesn't do great at mid bass..there are better options (including KEEPING the OEM woofers) for dedicated midbass
  3. Should I just say screw it and do both now? Will the current highs keep up with a sub and upgraded 8’s? I already have a sub amp that accepts balanced inputs.
    Up to you...if you are going to go for the moon then go for it, if you want to go piece by piece, consider whether current choices will retain flexibility for future ones (i.e. don't buy SWS8 if you are getting a trunk sub)
  4. Earthquake isn’t necessarily known for being clean, however, I’m not really looking to spend $1000 to replace the 8’s with Morels. Are the SWS-8’s decent for a SQL setup?
    Do you really mean SQL? or do you mean SQ or SPL?...Jehnerts are the top mid bass choice but a few hundred a pair
  5. If I go with a multi-amp setup, will I need a processor? I think I will based on my understanding, but I’m not certain.
    Depends...you can recode to HiFi if you want to skip the processor. However, the benefits of time-alignment should not be underestimated
I’m trying to be somewhat economical right now, but I have a tendency to go overboard with this stuff, so I’m open to options.

Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
vertspeed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
    You have to consider your final path...see next question
    SWS doesn't do great at mid bass..there are better options (including KEEPING the OEM woofers) for dedicated midbass
    Up to you...if you are going to go for the moon then go for it, if you want to go piece by piece, consider whether current choices will retain flexibility for future ones (i.e. don't buy SWS8 if you are getting a trunk sub)
    Do you really mean SQL? or do you mean SQ or SPL?...Jehnerts are the top mid bass choice but a few hundred a pair
    Depends...you can recode to HiFi if you want to skip the processor. However, the benefits of time-alignment should not be underestimated

Thanks for your help!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply! Lot's to read and consider....
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i

OP - if you're used to full tilt high-line systems there are several things you can do to improve on the factory system. To start, I think you would be happy with better 8"mids in the factory location. If you don't want to spend the money for that, then just send the factory mids more power. They'll do well with 100rms of clean power.

Upgrading the factory amplifier, and adding a processor will improve the sound quality exponentially.

I do not like the factory tweeters. I'm not a fan of metal tweeters. Replacing them with something from Morel (like the MT-22 or MT-23) will do wonders for improving the imaging and the sound stage. Replacing all 5 mids will multiply that improvement.

Changing the underseat midbass is not, necessarily, mandatory to improve low-end response, since they are placed well enough that you dont' need huge amounts of bass to feel it. Consider just adding power to them.

Essentially, you can spend a little, relatively, or a lot. It depends on your budget, and requirements for your opinion of good sound.

Once you have a budget in mind we can go from there. You don't have to do everything at once. Do it piece by piece, and spend money on each part ONCE, rather than doing it all, then having to do it again.
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
thaar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i x-drive MHD

This thread is pretty old now. I've almost got my system planned fully. Just working on a couple more details (which components and processor; have another thread for this actually lol). I appreciate the time and responses.
Appreciate 0