E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Aftermarket Deck Install (08 BMW 323i)

04-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
adjulbic
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 323i

Aftermarket Deck Install (08 BMW 323i)

Hello All;

I'm sure there must be a thread about this somewhere on here but I haven't found it yet. Therefore, I apologize if this is a re-post.

As the title suggests, I'm trying to install my JVC CD player in my 2008 BMW 323i. I'm pretty certain I don't have the Logic7 or any sort of amp. It's a pretty basic set up.

I went on BestKits/Crutchfield to find the wiring harness (BHA9003) and I bought it. I managed to remove the Professional BMW head unit (luckily I didn't break anything) and looked at the factory wiring harness (see pic attached).

I'm sure you guys have seen this sort of configuration. My question is, did I buy the wrong wiring harness? I plugged the BHA9003 into the factory harness and wired the other side up to my JVC Head unit, but nothing happened. I could eject a CD which would suggest that there is power but nothing lights up.

Can I still install an aftermarket head unit?

Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts?

At this point anything would help.

Thanks guys!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
jjmanda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328ix

The harness does not have a switched 12v wire but should have come with a separate red fuse tap wire to connect to a switched accessory circuit in the fuse panel. Did you wire the HU 12v switched?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
adjulbic
Rep

Hey JJManda

Thanks for your response. Appreciate it.

Hmm, the harness I got never came with it. That might be why.

Where do I connect this red cable to?

Do you know where I can find some sort of guide?

Actually, I'm going to ask a really stupid question...how do you send a Private Message using these chatboards? lol. I was digging thru these threads and found a guy who has the same car as me and wants to do the same thing that I'm trying to do.

I was hoping I could send him a PM to see if he made any progress.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :-D
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
jjmanda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328ix

Your harness did not come with the red fuse tap wire pictured below? I don't like to use those anyways.

I used an "Add-a-Circuit" fused wire bought from local auto parts store. You use that to connect to a switched 12v source in your fuse panel, such as the homelink or cigarette lighter circuit. You must use the fuse panel diagram behind the glove box to find one for your particular car.

These links talk about it for radar detectors, but the concept of a switched 12v source is the same.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=aftermarket

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=add-a-circuit

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322948

Metra makes the BMRC-01 if you want to shell out the dollars for that. It supposedly has a 12v switched source:

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=BMRC-01

http://www.installer.com/pdf/bmrc-01.pdf

You're certain you have a basic stereo in your car, no external amp?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
adjulbic
Rep

Hey jjmanda;

Thanks again for the detailed response. Truly appreciate the help.

Yeah it's strange, the only thing I got in the package is the connecter; that's it.

The BMRC-01 sounds very promising!!! I'm thinking of getting that. It is a bit more money but at least it'll do the job :-) completely.

As far as certainty is concerned, I'm about 95% sure that I have the very basic set up. Two speakers on the doors, and two at the back. I've checked underneath the seats and in the trunk and couldn't find any amp. Is there another way to check?

From your experience, will the BMRC-01 what I need it to do? lol. As mentioned before, all I really want to do is connect my JVC car deck to the BMW. I don't mind if I loose the chimes or steering controls. Eventually, I'm going to install my amp and subwoofer in the trunk and route the cables to the HU but that's for later.

Thanks again for all your help! :-D
Appreciate 0