E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Clunking/Rattling after VRSF DP Install...? HELP!

03-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
drewmeyer87
Chump
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Unhappy Clunking/Rattling after VRSF DP Install...? HELP!

Installed VRSF Downpipes last night on my 2009 e90. Test drive at 2am everything was great, sounded awesome, loved the butt dyno...

Went for a 30mi trip today with a few freeway pulls and occasional spirited driving. When I neared my destination and did some slower city driving, I started noticing a weird sputtering, rattling type sound accompanied by rattling the entire driving compartment and steering wheel and gas pedal... At speed and on the freeway, you don't hear or feel anything strange, car acts normal and pulls like a beast.

If it helps... I'd say it sounds reminiscent to a subaru exhaust, when I heard it the first time I started looking around for one

It seemed to do it only during light accelaration but then I noticed it was also doing it anytime engine load was applied (in gear, A/C turning on, etc). Seemed to also do it more during turns so I automatically assumed the steering rack, passenger side metal flap (since I bent it during install)... but that wouldnt explain the problems while sitting still, I checked it anyway, all good.

I'm at a loss... no idea why this is happening and after it being flawless the night before and this morning.

What did I do wrong!!!???

Any feedback appreciated.
      03-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Make sure you have your Procede waste gate settings set to 30. As long as you’re sure it’s not the pipes hitting something that should take care of some of the rattle you hear. I have the VRSF DPs and love them, but as you noticed they are louder inside the car. If you have stock exhaust, you’ll like how it sounds when you hit 4k. Was in a parking ramp last night and at 4k you get this really loud raspy sound from the stock exhaust with the DPs. You’ll also notice it’s louder on startup and will rattle until it warms up a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

I had the exact issue and just solved it this morning. I opened everything back up and realized the one my my v-clamp screw and come completely out. Maybe from all the WOT runs I did the night I installed it. Anyways I tight everything back up this time with some extra force. And now she runs like a champ!! only time will tell if this holds or I need to just add a nut on the other end of the V-clamp... either way don't panic just open it back up and take your time looking around

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 CTS-V

look for at least 1/4" clearance between the rear DP and the subframe, that's where mine were rattling.

Also, if you moved the steering rack, make sure it's torqued down proper. Check the vband clamps (they should be pretty much touching at the ends) and ensure that the midpipe hanger bolt is all the way in and secure if you e90 guys have something similar to the 135i mids.
      03-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

well mine started to rattle against each other where the dps meet the cat back exhaust...so i uninstalled then reinstalled making sure this time they were far apart enough.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
drewmeyer87
Chump
United_States
Rep

Checked everything, tightened down the clamps as far as I could go without breaking them. Torqued down the steering rack, ensured the metal flap above it was back to original position and shape.

There is plenty of clearance between sub-frame and DP, the pipes aren't touching either.

I also tried modifying the procede wgate position to no avail, tried 30%, 50%, 70% and 90%. Still doing all the same crap.

When I listen through the engine bay, it would seem the visible wastegate assembly is humming/buzzing. I noticed that when it is humming, I can hear a rattle from inside the car, the few times it wasn't humming, no rattle...

This seems like Wastegates are busted to me... Just don't understand how that happens the day after I install them

Time to take off all my damn mods and head to the stealershit...
      04-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

im still putting my money on the closeness on the pipes...the dps dont have to be touching to clank when accelerating. does the sound seem like its a metal sound like metal hitting against each other?

i had to spread mine apart as far as it could go and its about 4 mm apart but still clanks sometimes when im low rpms on a turn.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Yeah is happening to me too on light acceleration occasionally.

Getting it checked out on Tuesday cause I am sure is not WG and is the pipes touching.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 CTS-V

Are either of the wastegate actuators links hitting the vband clamp bolts?
      04-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
drewmeyer87
Chump
United_States
Rep

Not sure... I'll have to check next time I lift my car.

I just went for another 2 hour drive, I'm not convinced it's the wastegates... when I make a left turn during acceleration (like freeway off-ramp, etc) the steering wheel has a pretty strong vibration, almost like resistance, not violently shaking or anything. This is not present during right turns.

Also, it is present during the last few inches/feet of braking to a stop, also louder during left turns from a stop...

Anyone in the San Diego area that has had wastegate rattles or any automotive experience want to take a quick drive with me sometime this week? I'd love to find the cause so I can decide if/when I need to swap the DP back to stock for warranty work
      04-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Did you unbolt the steering rack during install? If so did you make sure to bolt it back up?

The only way the car will stutter is if you have a really bad exhaust leak or if you mixed up the o2 sensors. If you have the proceed turning of your cels, I suggest temporarily disabling that feature so you can see if it's throwing any codes.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
drewmeyer87
Chump
United_States
Rep

I did unbolt the steering rack and dropped it. I replaced it and torqued the bolts down nice and tight... is it possible for it to not be aligned right? I mean it fits pretty snug not much wiggle room.

Also, the O2 Sensors being swapped... that wouldn't cause any strange sounds or anything right? I'm pretty confident that I got them in the right spot, but the two snap adapters near the dp/exhaust connection, possibly switched those.

The car isn't stuttering, just making weird noises and seemingly affecting the steering wheel (only with slight vibration).
      04-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
335(EX)(EYE)
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 n54 & n55 / e46 330ci DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmeyer87 View Post
I did unbolt the steering rack and dropped it. I replaced it and torqued the bolts down nice and tight... is it possible for it to not be aligned right? I mean it fits pretty snug not much wiggle room.

Also, the O2 Sensors being swapped... that wouldn't cause any strange sounds or anything right? I'm pretty confident that I got them in the right spot, but the two snap adapters near the dp/exhaust connection, possibly switched those.

The car isn't stuttering, just making weird noises and seemingly affecting the steering wheel (only with slight vibration).
check the 02 sensors, im guessing its a couple issues going on. but im for sure putting money on the 02's + something else prob the rack
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmeyer87 View Post

Nothing should be affecting the steering wheel since the downpipes don't come close to touching them at all.

Generally if the steering rack is bolted up, it's aligned correctly. There's not a whole lot of wiggle room in that area. When turning, it is possible for the downpipes to touch the subframe if they aren't aligned correctly.

The only time I've ever heard this car sound like a WRX was when I accidentally swapped the rear o2's and the car ran poorly and constantly misfired.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

The downpipes are likely touching the sub frame. You need to adjust your midpipes brackets towards the DRIVERS side of the car , this will pull the downpipes away from the sub frame. You may also need to tweak your rear turbo's downpipe clockwise for more clearance on the subframe.

I'm assuming when you turn left you feel the vibrations and think its coming from the steering, many customers complained about this and it was because the downpipes were rubbing on the sub frame.

If you here any rattling out the exhaust its your wastegates.

If you hooked up the o2 sensors wrong you should have some poor drivability and likely CEL.

When your up there you may also want to check that your v band clamps and bolts are not in the way of the wastegate actuators.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
drewmeyer87
Chump
United_States
Rep

Sounds good! Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll jump under there tonight and get this sorted out. Will report back if all is well.
      04-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #17
drewmeyer87
Chump
United_States
Rep

Finally got a chance to get under there. Was definitely hitting the sub-frame... not sure how it shifted after the first day, I tightened down everything extremely well.

So, I straightened it all out and NO more rattle! Thank god! (and you guys)

So glad nothing else was wrong.

Updated to Vishnu stg 2 agro maps on my 2.5, logs below what do you guys think?

04-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
drewmeyer87
Chump
United_States
Rep

It's not showing? What is the blue line in the 4th log window?
      04-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #19
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

The blue line is your timing which looks great. Nice logs BTW
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
The blue line is your timing which looks great. Nice logs BTW
Good call I only read the methanol flow aspect. It looks good.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #21
TexasToast
Private
Rep
Drives: '10 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
look for at least 1/4" clearance between the rear DP and the subframe, that's where mine were rattling.

Also, if you moved the steering rack, make sure it's torqued down proper. Check the vband clamps (they should be pretty much touching at the ends) and ensure that the midpipe hanger bolt is all the way in and secure if you e90 guys have something similar to the 135i mids.
Suggestions on how to create the 1/4" clearance around the subframe? Mine don't appear to have any wiggle room.
Also, do you know the specs for torquing the steering rack? Not finding any love on google for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Rotate the pipe away from the sub frame before clamping anything down
Appreciate 0