E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > STETT intercooler: Engine heating issues?

03-31-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

STETT intercooler: Engine heating issues?

I have been doing alot of research about intercoolers and the concept of how they work and what potential benifits they provide. I'm FBO minus an intercooler since I bought the car in the winter time and did mods accordingly. The only thing I have left is meth and an intercooler and need your guys opinions. I track the car occasionally when there is a special event going on in my area which is probably once every couple months, if that. Summer is coming, well really already here and need to pull the trigger on an intercooler by next week.
I know the STETT intercooler is one of the best intercoolers but I have some questions/concerns about it.

-Since the STETT intercooler blocks almost half the radiator. Common sense tells you that if you block the radiator, your motor isnt going to get the cooling capacity as it would if something wasnt blocking almost half of the radiator...
-With STETTS intercooler its recommended to do charge pipe/diverter valves which is a pretty good chunk of change if you add both of those together.
-STETTS inetercooler is by far one of the best intercooler because it has SO much surface area for air to get absorbed.
-Another thing is how expensive it is compared to other top quality intercoolers. This car not going to be a racecar but just really a very fast DD and take it to the track occasionally like I said earier. Its actually one of the more expensive ones but it gets the job done... well what it was designed for.
But in the real world the motor of the car is the heart and soul of the car and blocking the radiator even just a little bit could have a major effect on the motor. I know there is a TON of other top qualities intercoolers that dont block the radiator such as the ETS, HPF, HELIX ect..I have come to the conclusion that most of these intercoolers do pretty much the same job. What I was curious about is will I get the same cooling effects going with any one of these mentioned above? I know I will be saving alot more money on the STETT but it just doesnt make since to me when I can get baically any one of those that I mentioned above, along with the same benifits. And the above mentioned ones can support pretty much any power level you can put the N54's
I love the STETT intercooler and have a few of his products and they are some quality craftsmanship. I just dont want to block half of the radiator because its just going to make the motor get hot. Im really liking the HPF and the ETS just by the quality and how you dont have to do alot of trimming to the car to get them set in right.

so what do you guys think I should order. Im just not diggin the blocking radiator thing with the STETT's intercooler when I can have the same cooling effects with one that doesnt block the radiator? I just think thats kind of a big deal but this is why I love this forum!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Bash335i
Enlisted Member
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N54

subscribed
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CS

Value for performance, I'd say go with ETS intercooler. It also comes with additional piping to connect to the charge pipe.

For our cars, since the front opening is not as big as like an EVO, it's better to get intercoolers that have more depth rather than height.
These types of intercoolers will have better performance.

The bumper will block majority of the height of a tall intercooler.

I read this on the forum somewhere. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT3 iN NyC
Value for performance, I'd say go with ETS intercooler. It also comes with additional piping to connect to the charge pipe.

For our cars, since the front opening is not as big as like an EVO, it's better to get intercoolers that have more depth rather than height.

The bumper will block majority of the height of a tall intercooler.

I read this on the forum somewhere. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
This is true and makes the most sense. And OP if your gut tells you that the rad being blocked is NOT a good thing for engine cooling, it's probably not.

I would look for an FMIC that comes complete with all hardware and no additional pieces are required so that you have a smooth install. If you already have a CP/BOV then that might also be important in your choice factor.

As TT3 mentioned it comes rdy for CP matching for easy install; I would stick to FMIC's that come like this.

At the end of the day though it's up to you. You get what you pay for in most cases.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

My vote is also to NOT block the radiator for any kind of car. The giant hole left from the stock intercooler also allows more air in under the front of the car = lift, AND that opening allows the air entering the nose to bypass the radiator = even hotter operation. Even if you block off the old opening completely, it's just not a great idea to block your heat exhangers. Also, you're blocking the evaporator, which makes the AC work harder in the summer.

For a street/DD/fun fast car, any of the other stock location ICs will be just perfect.
      03-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Most of the stock fit FMIC’s will manage airflow for over 475whp. Some are more efficient then others but all are better then stock. No need to block the radiator.

Water cooling is important enough that the IS which is about a Map1 boost has an additional water radiator & a faster fan system.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

HPF and ETS 7inch are both good options. You could go for the 5inch if you dont want any trimming on the ETS.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Since these threads always turn into recommendations of what we all own, I'll throw my worthless opinion in here and add the ER. I've been extremely pleased with the performance and it doesn't block the radiator either.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Imho, get ams or helix... No compromises... The hpf is overkill for me, but maybe if you plan on doing a single turbo in the future might be worth it... If you want value, ets.

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
Imho, get ams or helix... No compromises... The hpf is overkill for me, but maybe if you plan on doing a single turbo in the future might be worth it... If you want value, ets.
isn't the Helix intercooler the IC of choice on the Procede single turbo car? doesn't look like they're having issues with it if they still have it on the car right?

Helix IC also blocks a portion of the radiator but it doesn't seem to be as bad as STETT. OP you may want to look into Helix. Heard good things and will probably be the FMIC I end up getting eventually.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

trimming is a bitch and a half ... been there, done that. Stick with the 5" ETS FMIC unless you plan on going for HUGE power (over 600 whp). Trimming easily adds an hour to the install if you plan on doing it without removing the bumper. Other platforms use FMICs even smaller than the 5" ETS FMIC making huge power.
      03-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep

Ya thats exactly what I was leaning towards is either the ETS 5" or the HELIX. I actually helped a buddy install his HELIX on his N54 and we did it on ramps lol. It took us a total of about 2-3 hours to take out the factory intercooler, barely drimmel the shroud just enough for it to squeeze in, then put it up there. Wasnt hard at all even it being on a set up maybe 1 foot ramps lol. 2 people is def a must though to hold the intercooler in place and have your buddy tighten the screws down. The HPF is def a bad as# design and I love the mounting plate that they fabricate to hold that intercooler up there very professional in my opinion. Realisticly Im not making this car into a single turbo blown out race car, but just a 450whp-500whp DD that is still reliable and fun to drive and occasionally take it out to the track I know the 5" ETS would probably be my best bet and I have heard great things about both. Thanks guys, I LOVE THIS FORUM!! So now its between the 5''ETS or the HELIX and just maybe the HPF depending on what kind of deal I can get on it
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep

I forgot about the AMS intercooler which I might need to look into that as well....I know for a fact they make excellent products.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
BT#2
Banned
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i n54 e92 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT3 iN NyC View Post
I am afraid you are sorely misguided...

Here are two interesting posts that explains it pretty good:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS
Face area is critically important in an effective intercooler. The adding a lot of depth to a core is normally only done because there are height limitations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77
Going with an ultra thick core may be fine on a vehicle that sees racetrack duty where speeds are constantly into the triple digits, as this allows enough airflow to effectively cool a thick core. On a street-driven car, a thick intercooler will heatsoak and you will unlikey have enough airflow to cool it effectively.
Once the ambient air has absorbed latent heat at the front of the intercooler, there is no longer a large temperature differential at the back of a thick core to absorb additional heat, especially at street driven speeds. The only reason to go thicker is if your core is limiting overall flow, but it seems a moot point as we've already seen that an intercooler with a larger face can be fitted (Big Tom and AA.)

Both Bell intercoolers and Spearco (Turbonetics) offer a FAQ section that is very helpful in pin pointing the important design criteria for an air-air intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep

I know more height can absorb more air but I would rather not block off half of my radiator that IS the cooling system of the actual MOTOR itself. It just doesnt make since that I would block half of another cooling part (which is a very very important part being the radiator) just to make my intercooler absorb and cool more air for the turbo's...From what I have heard from everybody and doing my research, I think Im going to do the ETS 5" or HELIX. The ETS 7" requires quiet a bit more drimmeling and cutting for it to fit in its space. So Im just seeing how much I would have to cut/drimmel to make it work. Im ordering it monday meaning tomrrow so i just want to do the right one and now I have my mind set thanks to you guys!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #16
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

I went with ets 7" after long research. It's an amazing inter cooler that comes with couplers and piping that connect it to the charge pipe . Im very happy with the performance as well . To give you an idea I used to get around 25F increase in IATs on the stock map in 3rd gear, now my IATs are constant in 3rd gear on stage 2+ sport !!! I love this mod
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
trimming is a bitch and a half ... been there, done that. Stick with the 5" ETS FMIC unless you plan on going for HUGE power (over 600 whp). Trimming easily adds an hour to the install if you plan on doing it without removing the bumper. Other platforms use FMICs even smaller than the 5" ETS FMIC making huge power.
So will you be keeping your ets 5" once you install your rb's? No plans to upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #18
remington109
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

I have the Helix and have no problem with coolant temps in the 110deg summers here. The Helix is also very high quality...a work of art.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #19
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep

I think the ETS 5'' can handle RB's to be honest. The RB's give you great gains dont get me wrong and probably the absolute best when it comes down to value. Me, personally think that the RB's make everything work easier since the way he builds them and the materials he uses. Honestly if you want a car thats not going to break and still be a DD the RB's by far are my pick of choice. The price isnt bad either considering what he actually does to the turbo's themselves. Thats alot of work and everything has to be precise when doing this type of work which Rob Beck is known for. Im going to use the stockers until something happens to them so I have an excuse to get the RB's....really I might want to do just all of it at once lol but I know the RB's take some time so I would have to plan on the car having some down time. I still think the 5'' is going to be sustainable when it comes to reliability and useability. I know a few people here locally that have the 5'' and they have basically the same mods as I do and they all said you will see a major change in your IAT temps from the stock intercooler. also more flow which is a good thing too.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #20
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU335i View Post
isn't the Helix intercooler the IC of choice on the Procede single turbo car? doesn't look like they're having issues with it if they still have it on the car right?

Helix IC also blocks a portion of the radiator but it doesn't seem to be as bad as STETT. OP you may want to look into Helix. Heard good things and will probably be the FMIC I end up getting eventually.
Helix blocks only about 3/4" at very bottom of radiator.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #21
Evelyn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M

Garage List
2008 335 m  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786 View Post
I have been doing alot of research about intercoolers and the concept of how they work and what potential benifits they provide. I'm FBO minus an intercooler since I bought the car in the winter time and did mods accordingly. The only thing I have left is meth and an intercooler and need your guys opinions. I track the car occasionally when there is a special event going on in my area which is probably once every couple months, if that. Summer is coming, well really already here and need to pull the trigger on an intercooler by next week.
I know the STETT intercooler is one of the best intercoolers but I have some questions/concerns about it.

-Since the STETT intercooler blocks almost half the radiator. Common sense tells you that if you block the radiator, your motor isnt going to get the cooling capacity as it would if something wasnt blocking almost half of the radiator...
-With STETTS intercooler its recommended to do charge pipe/diverter valves which is a pretty good chunk of change if you add both of those together.
-STETTS inetercooler is by far one of the best intercooler because it has SO much surface area for air to get absorbed.
-Another thing is how expensive it is compared to other top quality intercoolers. This car not going to be a racecar but just really a very fast DD and take it to the track occasionally like I said earier. Its actually one of the more expensive ones but it gets the job done... well what it was designed for.
But in the real world the motor of the car is the heart and soul of the car and blocking the radiator even just a little bit could have a major effect on the motor. I know there is a TON of other top qualities intercoolers that dont block the radiator such as the ETS, HPF, HELIX ect..I have come to the conclusion that most of these intercoolers do pretty much the same job. What I was curious about is will I get the same cooling effects going with any one of these mentioned above? I know I will be saving alot more money on the STETT but it just doesnt make since to me when I can get baically any one of those that I mentioned above, along with the same benifits. And the above mentioned ones can support pretty much any power level you can put the N54's
I love the STETT intercooler and have a few of his products and they are some quality craftsmanship. I just dont want to block half of the radiator because its just going to make the motor get hot. Im really liking the HPF and the ETS just by the quality and how you dont have to do alot of trimming to the car to get them set in right.

so what do you guys think I should order. Im just not diggin the blocking radiator thing with the STETT's intercooler when I can have the same cooling effects with one that doesnt block the radiator? I just think thats kind of a big deal but this is why I love this forum!!!!!
I went with an IC from HPF, works great runs at least 30% cooler then stock. And not as much work to install.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #22
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

The Helix has incredible ait control and has been pushed over 600hp. You can install it by simply removing the belly pan, using ramps and requires NO cutting or trimming on a 335i and only very minor trimming on a 135i. Its truly a get it and forget it mod and if you decide to sell your car in the future the Helix holds its value we'll selling for $600+ used...We are currently running our spring group buy for the Helix FMIC:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665777
Appreciate 0