E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Kicker hideaway sub installed ..... Not satisfied

03-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
makoy2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura MDX, 2011 335is Coupe

Kicker hideaway sub installed ..... Not satisfied

So I installed the Kicker HS-8 hideaway sub few days ago. However I am not satisfied with the way the unit sounds. The speaker it self rattles so much once the GAIN is set passed halfway. Bass Boost, X over freq is set at the lowest. I have tried different settings but still sounds like card board box....Compared to the under seat sub the kicker sounds slightly inferior.

Initial plan was to attach the sub using the armrest as the flat form. However after a closer look you really have to sacrifice the whole arm rest which about $ 300 plus or minus. So I just went ahead and with heavy duty velcro and screws and just completely took off the armrest off, and then placed the sub where the armrest is located in the up position. The sub is tapped to the left and right under seat sub at the DSP harness.

Problem I encountered was the space for the sub was bout 1/4 inch short but with a little modification to the ski bag holder area, this part is only about $ 40 everything now fits ok with help of good ol' dremmel.

Before I start to troubleshoot if there is any.............Is it the signal from the DSP/HU going to the powered sub ? It is better to get the output signal from a regular amp or a mono amp maybe? Or the sub just completely suxx and I just fell for the marketing ad and forgot to use my gut feeling...lol...any suggestions..thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
pebkac
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Honestly, sale your item and pick up a Musicar Sub-bass Module from these guys.

http://www.musicarnw.com/e92-3-series-coupe-subwoofer/

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoy2 View Post
So I installed the Kicker HS-8 hideaway sub few days ago. However I am not satisfied with the way the unit sounds. The speaker it self rattles so much once the GAIN is set passed halfway. Bass Boost, X over freq is set at the lowest. I have tried different settings but still sounds like card board box....Compared to the under seat sub the kicker sounds slightly inferior.

Initial plan was to attach the sub using the armrest as the flat form. However after a closer look you really have to sacrifice the whole arm rest which about $ 300 plus or minus. So I just went ahead and with heavy duty velcro and screws and just completely took off the armrest off, and then placed the sub where the armrest is located in the up position. The sub is tapped to the left and right under seat sub at the DSP harness.

Problem I encountered was the space for the sub was bout 1/4 inch short but with a little modification to the ski bag holder area, this part is only about $ 40 everything now fits ok with help of good ol' dremmel.

Before I start to troubleshoot if there is any.............Is it the signal from the DSP/HU going to the powered sub ? It is better to get the output signal from a regular amp or a mono amp maybe? Or the sub just completely suxx and I just fell for the marketing ad and forgot to use my gut feeling...lol...any suggestions..thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
makoy2
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks man, yeah thinking about this one...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Did you really expect a kicker sub to sound good? What kind of amp do you have?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
makoy2
Private
United_States
Rep

Did you really expect a kicker sub to sound good?
No, but not shitty. Im expecting it to be slightly better sounding than our under seat subs. Based on the reviews and Ad (lol) this product supposed to be awesome.

What kind of amp do you have?,
At the moment its just a powered sub. However I'll be adding my old JL Audio G6600 to power some of my speakers then get the output for the sub, I'm hoping It'll sound a lot better. If not go to plan C.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Which stock audio system does your car have? If you have Stereo, that might be part of it:

http://www.musicarnw.com/start-here-your-car/
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
makoy2
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Which stock audio system does your car have? If you have Stereo, that might be part of it:

http://www.musicarnw.com/start-here-your-car/
I have the premium audio system (HK)....
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 03:37 AM   #8
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoy2
Did you really expect a kicker sub to sound good?
No, but not shitty. Im expecting it to be slightly better sounding than our under seat subs. Based on the reviews and Ad (lol) this product supposed to be awesome.

What kind of amp do you have?,
At the moment its just a powered sub. However I'll be adding my old JL Audio G6600 to power some of my speakers then get the output for the sub, I'm hoping It'll sound a lot better. If not go to plan C.
That's expecting too much out of it. IMO your best bet is to sell it and talk to VP.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #9
makoy2
Private
United_States
Rep

thanks.....
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
richgilb
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i

Just registered to try to pm you but can't...do you want to sell it?

Rich
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
makoy2
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
Just registered to try to pm you but can't...do you want to sell it?

Rich
Its still in use......... It'll be for sale once I get my subwoofer on order its on (backorder approx 60-90 days) It'll be posted here . Thanks

Marc

PS: It actually sounded better now just proper tuning and better input.........
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
makoy2
Private
United_States
Rep

This is how I've installed the sub.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0