E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Swirls?

11-01-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
spitfire6000
NJ NYC BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Monaco/Beige

Swirls?

I had a crap load of dirt on the rear of my trunk today so i grabbed a regular paper towel and swiped it off. A few hours later i noticed swirl marks in those areas where they havent ever been before.

This is the first time ive gotten swirl marks on my e90...so whats the best way to get rid of them for good?

Wats the best place to order klasse AIO and SG? I have read that SG will amplify swirls...is this true?

Also i never smoke cigarettes in the e90 but i did one time and ended up making a burn mark somehow near the driver seat a little to the left of it. Anyone know how to minimize the appearance of burn marks?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
Black325i
'06 325i / Jet Black / 6sp manual / Sports Package / Active Steering / Adap Lights
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

Can't help on the burn marks other than to suggest "stop smoking"...

For the swirls, look into Zaino. Pretty confusing on all the different flavours, but the Z5 product will get rid of those for you. Expensive, but that will teach you not to wipe dirt with a paper towel. Only TLC for the E90 spitfire6000....
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
zaino is awesome for swirl removal!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

Swirls are caused by many things improper washing, dirty rags, wrong tools, and using a paper towel to wipe off a dirty trunk etc. There is only one way to remove them and that is with an abrassive polish and a pc or rotary. Will not happen by hand so dont even think about that. You cant move you hand fast enough to cause any heat to break down the polish. Zaino Z5 does not remove and never will. It will however slightly slightly make them not as noticable (hides).

Chris
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 07:56 PM   #5
nocturnal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

"Hides" works better for me than "abrassive polish and a rotary"

Getting Z5 this weekend, gonna give it a shot... Will post how it works!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
afocoryw20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 + 325xi

Garage List
2006 325XI  [0.00]
2005 X3  [0.00]
1990 Mercedes Benz ...  [0.00]
If you use Zaino Z5 it will work but...If your using Zaino products check out this link.....it's ZPC Fusion paint cleaner and swirl remover. I just used it last weekend on my truck and it works magic
If you use them together It will work great. Put this in your browser....good luck!
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

And as far as the burn....
1) new seat
2) reupholster
3) try to find the same color electical tape that matches the seat (cheap way out)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 07:24 AM   #7
Black325i
'06 325i / Jet Black / 6sp manual / Sports Package / Active Steering / Adap Lights
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

Good info on ZPC, I was not aware of that. It does suggest Z5 is non-abrasive, and will do the job if the swirls are minor. Given the age of the car, my sense is Z5 will do a good job.

Invest in some good cleaning materials, take your time, give the e90 lots of love and attention !
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 07:54 AM   #8
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

dont be scared of abrasive all true polishes are abrasive even the Zaino ZPC. Using a machine like a rotary or a pc will give results you cant get by hand. If i was you i would do some research online on what causes swirls and what steps you can take to prevent them cause if you continue with what you are currently doing they will only get worse.

Chris
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 08:58 AM   #9
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Spitfire:

Be glad you don't have a black E90, because with things like using a paper towel to clean the car (yikes!), your car would need to be repainted by now.

My advice, PLEASE baby your E90 a little more
      11-03-2005, 10:56 AM   #10
spitfire6000
NJ NYC BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Monaco/Beige

wow i really didnt realize that a simple paper towel would do something like this to a car. Shouldnt the paint be a little more protective than that? I mean...if a paper towel causes swirls...the rain should be melting the paint right off.

On another note...i usually use chenelle and microfiber on the car but that one little time i used a paper towel only on part of the back and on the lowest parts of the side skirts. I didnt use any water, just swiped a little.

I got a bottle of zymol and it says that its the #1 product for repairing swirl marks. When they say repairing does this mean the swirls will go away forever? Or does it simply mean it will make them go away for as long as the zymol is on the car?

I was also interested in trying Klasse AIO with a top layer of Klasse SG....only problem i have with that is that i read that SG can make swirl marks more visible. Any opinions on this?

What are swirl marks in actuality? Are they real scratches into the paint or clearcoat? or are they scratches that form into the original layer of wax on the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 11:22 AM   #11
afocoryw20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 + 325xi

Garage List
2006 325XI  [0.00]
2005 X3  [0.00]
1990 Mercedes Benz ...  [0.00]
What are swirl marks in actuality? Are they real scratches into the paint or clearcoat? or are they scratches that form into the original layer of wax on the car?[/QUOTE]

Swirl marks are cuased from tiny particles of dirt or whatever that get wiped away and cut into your clearcoat. That is why swirl mark removers contain grit(like sandpaper). They actually remove some of the clear coat and bring it down to a nice finish. Think of it like a nice table. After years of cleaning you notice the same type of swirl marks as you would on a car. The only way to restore old furniture would be to sand it down and re-stain it. Same type of principle with the car but the clearcoat is like polyurethane. The best thing to do is never wipe your car when it's dry and when you wash or wax ALWAYS use front to back motions on the hood,roof,trunk and up and down motions on the rest. That way the swirl marks are less noticable. I'm 31yrs old now and have been detailing cars for 15yrs now.(always been into clean cars) I read a thread on a detailing forum that taught me so much that I never knew. If you would be interested in it, I'll post the link.

or are they scratches that form into the original layer of wax on the car?[/
Think of wax like fingernail polish...all it does it put a protective layer on your cars finish. If you had a bruise under your fingernail and put fingernail polish over it you would still see the bruise. Same with scratches or swirl marks on a car.......
Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0