E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > EQ and crossover settings

03-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
kayza
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s

EQ and crossover settings

Hello all,

I finished my install about three weeks ago and installed the following setup:

Xd600/6
Kicker Ssmb8
Dls R4 components for the front l/r, tabs shaved and dynoed into place using technic's method on the forums.

NOTE: I have no intention of using the rear channels, but I do have pdc that I would like to maintain the beeping signal, although I don't care whether it comes from rear speakers.

I am welcoming feedback on crossover settings for the dls components, as well as figuring out what makes most sense for amp settings, as well as connection setup knowing that I only need to power 4 channels from the amp.

I will be using my galaxy nexus through aux input for most of my playback, due to it having a 10band eq, or since I am rooted I can install other dsps on it if anyone has recommendations. So with that in mind, I can do tuning with it as well. So many different ways to make adjustments!

I suppose the first thing for me to learn is what I need to set my amp passes and frequencies at for each speaker pair. I currently have the dls high passed at 90-95hz, and the ssmb8 low at 120hz. I am looking to get that kick bass and other mid bass sound from drum kits to really pop, but in doing so I get such overwhelming bass guitar sound that gets very muddy. I listen to rock and alt rock (foo fighters, incubus, kings of Leon, oasis, alt nation on sat radio) and dabble in '98-2002 era rap that I used to listen to.

Let me know of any recommendations you all might have. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Edit: 2006 e91 with hi-fi and idrive and Bluetooth but no setellite or iPod hookup, leaving me with mp3 DVDs and aux input(my only way to have an eq to my sound).

Last edited by kayza; 03-23-2012 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: vehicle type.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Most people seem to low pass the underseats at about 175hz and high pass the doors at about 190hz, 12 db slope for each.
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I wouldn't recommend underlapping or overlapping the Midbass/Midrange cross. Anywhere btw 150-200hz should be fine, depending on specific drivers and taste. I don't know much about the R4's FR, but the SSMB8 can play almost up to the 500hz range. I have my SSMB8 crossed at 200hz and I don't notice any negatives about the soundstage being drawn down or muddiness. So I'm happy with that. However, there might be some MS-8 trickery that keeps my soundstage in tact. Try 150 and 200 see what you like better, maybe something in-between.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
I wouldn't recommend underlapping or overlapping the Midbass/Midrange cross. Anywhere btw 150-200hz should be fine, depending on specific drivers and taste. I don't know much about the R4's FR, but the SSMB8 can play almost up to the 500hz range. I have my SSMB8 crossed at 200hz and I don't notice any negatives about the soundstage being drawn down or muddiness. So I'm happy with that. However, there might be some MS-8 trickery that keeps my soundstage in tact. Try 150 and 200 see what you like better, maybe something in-between.
Good advice. What slope do you recommend?

With the MS8 in line, I assume you disable the crossovers in the amp, and do it all in the MS-8 before it gets to the amp?

That's a little different than the OPs system since he is crossing over in the amp and doesn't have any dsp.
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_h View Post
Good advice. What slope do you recommend?

With the MS8 in line, I assume you disable the crossovers in the amp, and do it all in the MS-8 before it gets to the amp?

That's a little different than the OPs system since he is crossing over in the amp and doesn't have any dsp.
I am not an expert on slopes and I am not one to try EVERY conceivable combination (just merely many combos). So I run 24dB slopes between mid bass and front stage as per AndyW's recommendation. This reduces driver interaction apparently as well as the fact that 12dB slopes induce a phase shift at the cross point (I am merely echoing this, as I don't completely understand it).

Technic however runs 6dB slopes, for blending sake. I don't notice any LACK of blend in my front stage FWIW. I'd be anxious to hear his car though if I am ever in SFLA.

Yes, thats a correct assumption, but I think it makes no difference for a NON Ms-8 system. The FR of the drivers should be the same, except for the MS-8's imaging tricks, which are based of the rear speakers anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
kayza
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s

Thanks everyone for your input. My amp crosses at 12db slope, and I set the xover at 150hz and it sounds much better, combined with my turning down the sensitivity a bit for the under seats. That was likely the muddiness I referred too. Was simply boosting it beyond the balance it needs with the dls set.

Additionally, I now have the front signal powering the under seats at ch3-4 of the amp, and the rear channels powering the front L/Rs on amp input ch1+2. Rear speakers disconnected. This allows me to have my PDC beeping from the front L/R and as a bonus I can now use the fade as a makeshift volume controller for the under seats. Just send the fade to the front to attenuate the front L/R and essentially get a bass boost for when Dr Dre comes on lol. I will eventually order y splitters so that I can bridge the under seats.

That or put a sub in the underfloor cargo storage area of my e91 to make use of those currently unused watts. Too bad the only custom box I know of for that is the bsw one at $700+. Any thoughts on a cheaper solution for a 10-12" sub in that area? Also, the xd600/6 would be throwing 200w@4ohms to it (150@8), so it may be difficult to find a 4ohm?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

If you have an iPhone Jl audio has a JL tools app that you can use as a free dB meter to level match your fronts with your under seats at ear level.

VP Electricity corner enclosure with an ID10 will handle 200w fine (2 ohm)

Last edited by taibanl; 03-24-2012 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0