E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > idle problem fixed for now!!!

03-21-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
Norcal_335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

idle problem fixed for now!!!

I had a weird idle problem with my car first thing in morning and thru out day. Switched out plugs and coils and idle problem was still there. I found Mr. 5 link on here and reset the following adaption with my BT tool.

Air control adjustment
Throttle valve adaption
Fuel/air adaption
Secondary air injection adaption

After those resets and drove my car for a day my idle was 80% better.
So I decided to clean my (2) TMAP sensors with mass flow cleaner and car runs without any idle problems for now.

If you decide to try any of this you are doing it at your own risk!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
bv1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe AT

Has anyone tried this with INPA? I've seen the menu in INPA just wondering if anyone has tried yet / or had any issues.
      05-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Yes, along with the "Idle adaptation reset" in INPA, seemed to fix it short term for me. If I let it adapt more then it probably would have been more effective.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
bv1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
Yes, along with the "Idle adaptation reset" in INPA, seemed to fix it short term for me. If I let it adapt more then it probably would have been more effective.
Cool, Thanks.

I did a valve cleaning / 6 new injectors / 6 New coils / 6 New spark plugs last weekend. Car feels completely different now in a good way, I had a slightly rough idle prior to this which is almost all the way better but not quite 100%. Figured I would do a clear on the adaptations to speed up the learning process because a lot has changed.

Best to reset with engine off and wait 30 seconds before starting?
      05-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

It shouldnt matter. If it makes a difference, I usually do it when the car is off when I get home from work.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
bv1
Private First Class
Rep

Can someone confirm I am on the correct tab within inpa to reset the adaptations mentioned in this thread. They are named slightly different in the BT tool which i do not have.

I can't find "Air control adjustment" and am not sure for the "Fuel/air adaption" is it "lamba probes" or "lambda control"

Thanks
Attached Images

06-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Yes, that is the menu I use to reset adaptations.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
George@V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_335i View Post
I had a weird idle problem with my car first thing in morning and thru out day. Switched out plugs and coils and idle problem was still there. I found Mr. 5 link on here and reset the following adaption with my BT tool.

Air control adjustment
Throttle valve adaption
Fuel/air adaption
Secondary air injection adaption

After those resets and drove my car for a day my idle was 80% better.
So I decided to clean my (2) TMAP sensors with mass flow cleaner and car runs without any idle problems for now.

If you decide to try any of this you are doing it at your own risk!!!
What were you experiencing exactly at cold start/idle?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
bv1
Private First Class
Rep

Not sure about the OP but my issues are as follows.

Problem1
Slight roughness of idle when car is in warm up cycle i.e. when car is first started you can feel a vibration in the seat and center console as the idle settles in to 600 rpm from 1200 or so not a smooth descent like when the car was newer.

Problem2
Like many others when the car is left to idle for a while infrequently but enough to be annoying the it experiences what feels to bumps in rpm where the engine rpm drops to 450rpm or so and than corrects itself, compensates and sets idle at 700rpm instead of 600rpm.

Problem3
Is harder to described but when the car is warming up to operating temperature and my foot is on the brake at a stop light for example the car seems to vibrate a bit more than when at operating temp. It is slight but it feels different from before.

I have mostly new hardware as of a month ago, 6 new plugs, injectors (coded properly), coils and squeaky clean valves, oh and new hpfp and both vanos. Though I would have perfect idle but not so much...

Cleaned the manifold tmap it helped with problem1 but no others. I'll clean the other tmap when i get a chance.

I'm thinking it may be software related like others have suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George@V View Post
What were you experiencing exactly at cold start/idle?
      06-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
bv1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
Yes, that is the menu I use to reset adaptations.
Thanks Tzu,

Any idea which what the corresponding INPA adaptation reset for "Air control adjustment" as labeled in the BT tool.

Also does "Fuel/air adaption" as labeled in the BT tool correspond to "lamba probes" or "lambda control" in INPA
      06-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
George@V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bv1 View Post
Not sure about the OP but my issues are as follows.

Problem1
Slight roughness of idle when car is in warm up cycle i.e. when car is first started you can feel a vibration in the seat and center console as the idle settles in to 600 rpm from 1200 or so not a smooth descent like when the car was newer.

Problem2
Like many others when the car is left to idle for a while infrequently but enough to be annoying the it experiences what feels to bumps in rpm where the engine rpm drops to 450rpm or so and than corrects itself, compensates and sets idle at 700rpm instead of 600rpm.

Problem3
Is harder to described but when the car is warming up to operating temperature and my foot is on the brake at a stop light for example the car seems to vibrate a bit more than when at operating temp. It is slight but it feels different from before.

I have mostly new hardware as of a month ago, 6 new plugs, injectors (coded properly), coils and squeaky clean valves, oh and new hpfp and both vanos. Though I would have perfect idle but not so much...

Cleaned the manifold tmap it helped with problem1 but no others. I'll clean the other tmap when i get a chance.

I'm thinking it may be software related like others have suggested.
I too seem to have Problem1 then (2012 335is, N54, 2800 miles)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

I think the idle issue has more to do with the TMAP sensors collecting oil than it has to do with resetting adaptions or value cleaning. Don't get me wrong I am sure resetting the adapations and value cleaning definitly help, but when i was installing my DCI and CP I pulled my TMAP sensors out to clean them and there was a lot oil build up on them. Which I am sure leads to inaccurate readings. After cleaning the sensors my car idled perfectly for a while but then the issue slowly started coming back. I cleaned the TMAP sensors again the issue went away. I have yet to reset my adaptions or clean my valves.

Has anyone had a TMAP sensor fail? When mine was slowly dying my car drove fine but would idle terribly and would even stall. When it finally died the car wouldn't even start. The fact that when the TMAP sensor was on it's way out my car's idle got much worse makes me think that the stumbling idle issue is related to the TMAP sensors.

This issue has been discussed heavily on this forum but the N54 does accumulate oil in the intake track which leads to oiled TMAP sensors, carbon build up, rough idles, dirty VANOS Solenoids, etc... I've seen guys remove their stock FMIC and there was a good amount of oil in it. Ideally we would want to prevent oil from making into the intake track but no one has come up with a solid solution. However, members have found away to cut down on the amount of oil using the BMS OCC and Rob Beck's PCV Upgrade.

I am planning on getting my valves cleaned soon and when I do I am going to check my intake track (FMIC, CP, etc..) for oil, install the BMS OCC, RB's PCV Upgrade, and clean my TMAP sensors again. Hopefully all that will keep my car idling nicely for a loooooong time.

Last edited by BoostedE90; 06-28-2012 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
schriss33.50
      07-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bv1 View Post
Thanks Tzu,

Any idea which what the corresponding INPA adaptation reset for "Air control adjustment" as labeled in the BT tool.

Also does "Fuel/air adaption" as labeled in the BT tool correspond to "lamba probes" or "lambda control" in INPA
Sorry man, no idea. I cleaned my valves on the weekend and idle is silky smooth again. This was my 3rd clean, so I expected that. I suggest everyone in this thread perform this maintenance.
Appreciate 0