E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Do BMW dealer reflash your ECU after putting in new injectors?

03-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Do BMW dealer reflash your ECU after putting in new injectors?

Got 6 new injectors installed for my car last week. Do you know if BMW dealers need to reflash the ECU after replacing the old injectors with new injectors?

Car felt a bit sluggish since.

Yes, my car's ECU was flashed with a tune before the service.
      03-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i 6MT

They have to code the new injectors in, but chances are they also flashed to the latest and greatest for the DME. What tune did you have?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
achien
AC
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulz_M3 View Post
They have to code the new injectors in, but chances are they also flashed to the latest and greatest for the DME. What tune did you have?
Dinan Stage 2. I told them I have the tune and told them not to reflash it.
      03-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

That was probably not relayed to the tech or they had to reflash to the newest firmware. Im not 100% on how the Dinan tune works, but i imagine you can just visit the dealer that did your install and have them re-flash it for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

if you cant feel the difference between stock and dinan stage 2 means is pretty weak.
Normally they do Reflash with latest DME software . just get it reflashed by Dinan but i read some posts about people having boost issues with Dinan and BMW latest software.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

ECU flash is not neccessary but they do it under the recall...Really all they would need to do is code in the injector values. Dinan flash is pretty weak though and very pricey. Alot of people migrate towards the Dinan tune because of their past history with BMW and the other platforms. With the N54, they basically slept through and never got up and missed the train.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
achien
AC
Canada
Rep

The dealer probably didn't do the reflash, since they told me they the new injectors can be coded in.

They did say the carbon build up in the engine should be cleaned out since it cause the Fix Lamp Indicator - Engine light to come up.

I am going to do a few more WOT this afternoon is see how bad it is.

Dinan tune is weaker than the other tunes because it doesn't push the engine and turbo as hard as the other tunes, which means they don't throw as much cell codes as other tunes. This is actually the first time the engine light came on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
if you cant feel the difference between stock and dinan stage 2 means is pretty weak.
Normally they do Reflash with latest DME software . just get it reflashed by Dinan but i read some posts about people having boost issues with Dinan and BMW latest software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
ECU flash is not neccessary but they do it under the recall...Really all they would need to do is code in the injector values. Dinan flash is pretty weak though and very pricey. Alot of people migrate towards the Dinan tune because of their past history with BMW and the other platforms. With the N54, they basically slept through and never got up and missed the train.
      03-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
Dinan tune is weaker than the other tunes because it doesn't push the engine and turbo as hard as the other tunes, which means they don't throw as much cell codes as other tunes. This is actually the first time the engine light came on.
Your theory is flawed...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
achien
AC
Canada
Rep

The #1 trade-off with turbo-engines since the Formula-1 days back in the mid 80s is always: Power vs. Reliability. Otherwise, people will be pushing out 700hp tunes out in the market already.

Quote:
Your theory is flawed...
      03-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The #1 trade-off with turbo-engines since the Formula-1 days back in the mid 80s is always: Power vs. Reliability. Otherwise, people will be pushing out 700hp tunes out in the market already.
Reliability can be had by taking the time to properly developing a system with components that compliment each other. Pushing small, innefficienty turbos outside of their efficiency range is not the best way to make power, but one that can be done with some degree of reliability given the safety measures programmed into the DME. Needless to say, you stating that the dinan tune will throw less codes than the "other" tunes is just nonsense. If running more boost on tune x generated a boost leak code, it exposes a vulnerability in the cars turbocharger system - which regardless of tune should be addressed and repaired. If anything, the "other" tunes help expose weakness and vulnerability, and sometimes innefficency.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Reliability can be had by taking the time to properly developing a system with components that compliment each other. Pushing small, innefficienty turbos outside of their efficiency range is not the best way to make power, but one that can be done with some degree of reliability given the safety measures programmed into the DME. Needless to say, you stating that the dinan tune will throw less codes than the "other" tunes is just nonsense. If running more boost on tune x generated a boost leak code, it exposes a vulnerability in the cars turbocharger system - which regardless of tune should be addressed and repaired. If anything, the "other" tunes help expose weakness and vulnerability, and sometimes innefficency.
This. Many of the tunes, when run with the correct mods, will be a very reliable and powerful tune. I have been running the stg2+ cobb tune and have only every had to take the tune off for recall stuff as many others have experienced, with all of the various tunes out there. These tunes are reliability and performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
The dealer probably didn't do the reflash, since they told me they the new injectors can be coded in.

They did say the carbon build up in the engine should be cleaned out since it cause the Fix Lamp Indicator - Engine light to come up.

I am going to do a few more WOT this afternoon is see how bad it is.

The more powerful tunes dont throw ANY codes. The Dinan tune is simply conservative. All of the other tunes push the turbo's within their efficiency range. More power doesn't necessarily mean unreliable. Vishnu is currently at 600WHP+ with a single turbo system, on a stock motor. It's complimented with the right hardware on a stock motor.

The stock turbo's are usually passed efficiency around 430WHP.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
achien
AC
Canada
Rep

no point in discussing how great the tunes are (compared to stock) if the dreaded yellow engine light comes on.

had 6-injectors replaced and the light still come on twice this week after high revs on the engine. taking it to the dealer this week again.
      03-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I also had 6 new injectors installed at dealer a couple months ago. They cleaned the intake system at the same time. Runs great, although I might replace plugs when I put tune back in. I forget if they reflashed DME.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
achien
AC
Canada
Rep

did the dealer charged you for the "cleaning"? my dealer was asking for $800 to clean everything (including the internal part of the engine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I also had 6 new injectors installed at dealer a couple months ago. They cleaned the intake system at the same time. Runs great, although I might replace plugs when I put tune back in. I forget if they reflashed DME.
      03-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
HellsBells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I had the HPFP and all of the injectors replaced a few months back, but not the software (long story). Now I have very long cranks that started a few days ago and yesterday it wouldn't crank over until the third try and now is a throwing ABS and 4X4 error codes.
The dealer says it is nothing wrong except it needs the software upgrade, which I am scheduling for next week. We will see.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
g335
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

When my injectors were replaced, the dealer had to reinstall dinan software
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #18
achien
AC
Canada
Rep

I am now hearing "hissing" sounds from the front of the car, I suspect the problem could be boost leak. The symptoms confirms this as the car feels sluggish under throttle, and misfires under heavy throttle, but no rough idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsBells View Post
I had the HPFP and all of the injectors replaced a few months back, but not the software (long story). Now I have very long cranks that started a few days ago and yesterday it wouldn't crank over until the third try and now is a throwing ABS and 4X4 error codes.
The dealer says it is nothing wrong except it needs the software upgrade, which I am scheduling for next week. We will see.
At this point, I couldn't tell whether the Dinan tune still exists (or whatever tune exists, they could put a JB4 or Procede under the hood and I wouldn't know) because the car is still having misfire problems under heavy throttle. To replace fuel injectors, they just need to code them using their software, it would actually be take more work and time for the dealer to reflash the ECU (and that assumes it doesn't crash). I actually ask them to let me know if they reflash the ECU so I can take it back to the other dealer for reflash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g335 View Post
When my injectors were replaced, the dealer had to reinstall dinan software

Last edited by achien; 03-21-2012 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #19
achien
AC
Canada
Rep

problem solved. the dealer "cleaned" the carbon build-ups from the intake valves.

I noticed the engine revs up faster and smoother than before.

the acceleration feels more "linear" now (just like BMW stock vs. getting kicked from behind when I hit 3.5k RPM and 4.5 RPM on Dinan) looks like I have to get my ECU re-flashed.

strongly recommend this get done every 30k miles (or 50k km).