E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Clean 12" sub and amp combo

06-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #1
chilenko
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Clean 12" sub and amp combo

I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions in the way of a single 12" subwoofer that requires little air space and an amp that will provide clean, adequate power.

I have folding rear seats and there is a rectangle in the back wall you can pop out so there's a window where the armrest drops down. I want to get a smaller box and mount it in the back of the trunk with the sub pointing in the cabin and place the amp under the trunk floor in the compartment.

Not suprisingly, I want to stay as low cost as possible. I'm coming from a JL 13w7 and 1000/1 setup, so I like my lows, but I spent $2k on that and I realize spending 1/4 money will not achieve the same results (this stuff is actually for sale if anyone is interested).

I actually have a MTX 5500 that I may try to install with my JL 1000/1 amp, but the power could be a recipe for disaster.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Diesel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i E90

i am trying to install subs and amp that i had in my previous car. i want to know to how i can access main 12V terminal without screwing up the black box on to of battery. Also to where i connect remote wire and which color speaker wires to tap into with a logic 7 sound system.

You may want to experiment with the placement of your sub before mounting it into arm rest pointed into cabin. For a few reasons.
1. Bass works off of reflection and sounds better when it rebounds off of something (such as the rear of the trunk) causing the sound wave to project forward.

2. If you or someone in your back seat places the arm rest up you can damage the sub if not enough clearance. Subs require about 3 or more inches of clearance for operation and optimal sound. Trust me on this one...I made a custom box for my jeep wrangler that had floor firing subs. I called up rockford fosgate (type of subs i have) and asked them for the clearance measurements!
Appreciate 0