E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Anyone upgraded 'vert speaker system??

06-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Anyone upgraded 'vert speaker system??

Hi guys - only had the E93 cab two days and already looking at mods!!

I decided (now foolishly) not to choose the hi-fi loudspeaker system as an option and am seriously disappointed with the standard setup (especially after the Bose system that I had in my last car - Audi A4 2.0T s-line). Bass breaks up at volume and overall clarity is pretty poor. I do understand that acoustically it is a bad car to provide a good sound in but just wondered if any E92 or E93 owners had upgraded their speakers and if so what does anybody recommend??

cheers, Paul

(PS - have uploaded a few pics in my garage - let me know what you think!!)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
avincar
Private
Rep
Drives: touring sedan

I have not done a 'vert, but my 0.02 would be to add an amp.

I'd use the Zapco Ref 360 or DC 360 and two BTL adapters, and amp the underseat woofers and the F door speakers.

I'd use the DC version and have it tuned for the speakers, and I'd even consider having the DRC controller hidden in the center console so I could select between top-up and top-down settings.

I feel that the F door speakers need upgrading too, but that's the first thing I'd do. I don't expect any aftermarket speaker to sound better on the OEM amp, which I believe is a bottleneck.

P.S. You liked the Bose system in the B7 A4? That center channel sounds like a crying baby, and the Bose sub sounds like dropping a bag of dog food at the supermarket.
      06-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
335C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

Question for you Avin. Can you confirm that the subs are located under the driver/passenger seats?

If so, how hard would it be to replace them? I assume you will need a very shallow woofer. Was looking at JL Audio.

I have a 92, not a convertible. I assume they are close to being the same.
Appreciate 0