ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-31-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
daytontp
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 VW GTI

How low would a dealer go to sell a car?

I am curious about your opinion on this. About 6-7 months ago I went by my local BMW dealer and they had an Interlagos Blue 2006 Z4M roadster (at the time I owned a 2005 S2000). I was talking to one of the dealers about the car and how much they wanted for it and if it could work out for me to get a deal on the car. Well, to be honest, the car is a little over my budget, but at the time they appeared pretty willing to get me in the car because I was the first person in 6 months to show any interest in the car at all, at least that is what they told me. The car had been on their lot for over a year and they already had 2007 Z4Ms on the lot. Well, I decided not to get the car and continued to drive and enjoy my S2000. Well, a few months ago they called me to see if I was still interested, because no one had looked at the car since I did, and I told them I was not interested because the price was still a little high for me. Well, today they called me again and said they are at a point where the car will go to auction or will be moved to their pre-owned lot as a used car with under 100 miles on it. As of know, from the dates on the car, it is over 2 years old. Well, that is a close guess based on what was on it the last time I saw it.

Anyway, how low would a dealer go on the price on a car like this? If it went to auction, what could they get for it? And, just to comment I am still not likely to get the car, even though I would not mind owning it. About a month ago I traded my 2005 S2000 in for a 2007 VW GTI.

Last edited by daytontp; 05-31-2007 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Ski
Hockey freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmer's

If you wanted it bad enough you would be driving it by now..so what do you want us to say, that you should have bought it??

My Jet Black's
'03 3.0i Z4 Loaded
'02 325Ci Loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
daytontp
Registered
Rep

My question is not whether or not I should have or should buy it. Just curious what the car would bring at an auction.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
Ski
Hockey freak
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytontp View Post
My question is not whether or not I should have or should buy it. Just curious what the car would bring at an auction.
Why??

My Jet Black's
'03 3.0i Z4 Loaded
'02 325Ci Loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
daytontp
Registered
Rep

Because!!

Is it not a little obvious that I might like the car? I usually find that car dealers only want to sit there and pressure you until they get you to pay what they want. The first time I was there they would not budge from MSRP. But I would imagine that by now the dealer would realize they can not get MSRP for it, but they still seem helpless over the phone. I am just curious how much value a new car loses if it sits on the lot for 2 years.

There is a certain point where a person is conservative enough and honest enough with themselves not to make a stupid purchase and get over their head. But, that does not keep them from still wanting it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
Ski
Hockey freak
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytontp View Post
Because!!

Is it not a little obvious that I might like the car? I usually find that car dealers only want to sit there and pressure you until they get you to pay what they want. The first time I was there they would not budge from MSRP. But I would imagine that by now the dealer would realize they can not get MSRP for it, but they still seem helpless over the phone. I am just curious how much value a new car loses if it sits on the lot for 2 years.

There is a certain point where a person is conservative enough and honest enough with themselves not to make a stupid purchase and get over their head. But, that does not keep them from still wanting it.
There's absolutely no way, repeat, no way that ride sat on that lot for 2 years dude..

My Jet Black's
'03 3.0i Z4 Loaded
'02 325Ci Loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

No way any BMW dealer would ever sell any BMW that has never been titled before and has only 100 miles on the clock as used. Why would they? They wouldn't be paying any less tax for the car to be sitting in their used car lot. Heck, legally they can sell a car as brand new even when it has 3~4 thousand miles (there's a limit but I can't remember) as long as it's not been titled.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 06:12 PM   #8
ay8306
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Something definitely smells funny here. I agree that there is no way the car sat on the lot for 2 years. No dealer would leave that much cash tied up in a piece of inventory like that and and they would find some way to move it. Hell, they could easily sell it on e-bay if they were that desperate. Maybe there is something very wrong with the car.
      05-31-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

I think that's a commonly used strategy in selling a car. When I was negotiating mine, the dealer told me that the car was being sent off for auction in another state, and that they had already shipped it there....but if I wanted to make an offer on it, they could withdraw it from the auction and bring it back. At the time, their price was still too high, so I declined. Then a few days later, they lowered the price, and I bought it. They had it in their dealership at that time so I don't really believe that they ever sent it off for auction at all. Why would you spend the money to ship the car to an auction, pay a fee and possibly a percentage, for an almost if not brand new, car?

The only thing that I could possibly see happening is them auctioning it off in a local auction with a reserve price that must be met.

In your case, I think they were just using it as a tactic to see how interested you were. It's a new version of the old strategy of saying, "I've got another buyer interested in this car, but I like you, so if you want it, I'll give it to you at a good price." That's so well known now that saying that it's going to auction where a lot of people will be interested in it and be willing to buy it serves the same purpose without being as blatant.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
Vroomer
Injected with a poison
Rep
Drives: Pick one

"How low would a dealer go to sell a car?"

As low as would be needed to get your cash.
      05-31-2007, 10:41 PM   #11
daytontp
Registered
Rep

I am not going to sit here and tell you I am 100% sure the car has been on there lot that long, but based on the dates I saw on the car I would say that is my guess along with what the dealer told me. I do know the car was on their lot last fall. When I sat down and talked to the dealer about the purchase, the car had under 100 miles on the odometer.

Here is a link to the car.
http://www.hancockbmw.com/New-Invent...oryId=13702745
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 11:45 PM   #12
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.oi

A ruse is a ruse is a ruse...

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 11:47 PM   #13
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

if you wanted the M you should have skipped the "owning a new VW" phase

you've lost thousands in resale value by buying a new car

if you hadn't pulled that VW move, maybe you could have afforded the M
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 11:48 PM   #14
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Ouch. Give this guy a break would you?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 11:56 PM   #15
fire-n-ice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

whew! boy that is a powerful blue isn't it? Don't sweat it hon, no matter how desperate a dealership is to sell a car, an ///M is ALWAYS going to cost you big bucks. Just look at it as a future goal and plan for it.
VW's are cool cars, enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #16
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

also note, that car was the dealer demo

all dealers got a blue M roadster when they first came out (all 4 dealers I stopped by in my area anyways)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 04:42 AM   #17
JBZ4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Up until about a month ago, (I have not been back to the dealer) the local BMW dealer had a beautiful 2006 Z4M roadster, white with chocolate interior (dark brown) sitting in the showroom full price and never a deal. I know the Z was there at least 8 months. They did not seem to care. I would love to be driving that but not at full price.
Appreciate 0