E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > HD Radio questions

05-30-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
jfulcher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Monaco E92

Question HD Radio questions

Is there any way to force a station to stay in HD? It seems like most of the stations around here switch back and forth on occasion which makes for annoying pauses in the music. It shouldn't be signal quality as I'm not too far from some of the stations transmitters.

Also is there any way to set a preset on a multicast station? (I.e. HD2) It's annoying that you have to switch to the station, wait for it to change to HD mode, and then go to the HD2 subchannel.
      05-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfulcher View Post
Is there any way to force a station to stay in HD? It seems like most of the stations around here switch back and forth on occasion which makes for annoying pauses in the music. It shouldn't be signal quality as I'm not too far from some of the stations transmitters.
It should only switch out of HD if the signal isn't adequate for HD reception. Distance isn't the only criteria - obstructions (among many thing)s can also affect it. The short answer, though, is no.

Quote:
Also is there any way to set a preset on a multicast station? (I.e. HD2) It's annoying that you have to switch to the station, wait for it to change to HD mode, and then go to the HD2 subchannel.
Unfortunately, that's the way it's designed to work. Although they're really advertising the multicast capability, their implementation leaves something to be desired.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
jfulcher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Monaco E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
It should only switch out of HD if the signal isn't adequate for HD reception. Distance isn't the only criteria - obstructions (among many thing)s can also affect it. The short answer, though, is no.

Unfortunately, that's the way it's designed to work. Although they're really advertising the multicast capability, their implementation leaves something to be desired.
I figured - I'm going to be emailing a complaint to BMWNA, because their implementation is kind of ridiculous and multicasting is one of the reasons I purchased it. Thanks for the info.