E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Changed battery and....

02-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
VWbmx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jetta VR6 Wagon & 07 328xi

Changed battery and....

.... 2 things. Can't figure out where this plug goes.

And am getting this warning light now.

Any help would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
VWbmx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is this something the dealer clears?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Eracer76
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWbmx
.... 2 things. Can't figure out where this plug goes.

And am getting this warning light now.

Any help would be awesome!
I'm not sure on the plug, but I have one that doesn't seem to go anywhere also, but I don't remember if it looks like that.

As for the 4x4 light, that's normal after unhooking or replacing the battery... Just take it for a drive around a block or two and it should turn off.
2009 Z4 35i 6mt, SpeedTech 6266 Gen2 turbo kit, Tial WG, VRSF 7.5 race IC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, Radium Fuel cell w/ surge tank and twin Walbro 525 pumps, Radium FPR and return line, Bluetooth ethanol sensor, Phoenix intake manifold w/PI, JB4 tuner, PR coil packs, Custom oil cooler, ECS Radiator, Spec 3+clutch, Mfactory flywheel, single 3.5" into dual 3" exhaust, H&R springs, 19" TSW wheels, 235/19 & 275/19 RE11 tires

Last edited by Eracer76; 02-03-2012 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
VWbmx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Eracer!

So my dog and I took it out for a spin this morning at 5:30. By the time I got to the end of my street the 4x4 light was out. However I notice the there is a brake light bulb warning on now.

I pull over and sure enough the light on the drivers side of the trunk lid is out. Ok, so I pull into a gas station and get out. Walk around to the fuel door and realized I forgot to push the unlock button. Hit the unlock button and nothing happens. So stupidly I locked the car with the fob and the doors lock. Kicker is, now they won't UNLOCK!!! I freak out for a second because my dog is in a car I can't get into at a gas station when I realize the passenger side door is open!

Well, I can't open the fuel door either so I go to pop the trunk so I can open the fuel door mechanically and THE TRUNK won't even open. WTF?!?!

I crawl through the passenger door and try to open the drivers side door and I can't even do that from the INSIDE!

So, defeated I drive home, crawl back out the passenger side door and here I am.

I'm going to take it to the stealership but COME ON BMW?!?!? While I am new to BMW's I'm not new to mechanics. I can understand the 4x4 light resetting but how about the safety issues of having doors that #1 won't unlock and #2 that don't have a mechanical connection between the INSIDE door handle and the latch! What if I were to get into a bad accident and the battery becomes disconnected? Could emergency responders get me out? Or what if the passenger side door wasn't open at the gas station? How about my poor dog inside the car on a 20º morning? What if it was my 3 year old son? Or even worse, an infant?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 05:43 AM   #5
VWbmx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, after that rant I just remembered I can use the manual key to at least unlock the drivers side door. Did that and it worked. One positive so far today.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Great cars....But way overengineered. It is frustrating.
      03-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
CrAzY ChInOz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

if you have a 4 door, most likely one or more of your door lock actuators is starting to fail causing a blown fuse which leads to central locking inop.

also, i would suggest you register the battery through the dealer or someone local with a computer that have the capability to do so. this way your new battery would be charged correctly from the vehicle
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
AntTwon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SGM

Yeah i think you're all set in terms of that plug. I went out and checked mine and had the same plug just hanging down on the side of the battery.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

Register your battery. I have no idea why it's necessary, but I've read it all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
Alpineweiss e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 330xi

In an accident, you don't worry about if a door actuator is working.....in most severe accidents, the doors will be crush sealed. You break the window or cut the doors out.....insurance will cover the rest.

The 4x4 and brake lights are normal after a battery disconnect. The steering angle sensor needs to recalibrate itself which happens after a few hundred feet of driving.

That disconnected wire is used while transporting the vehicle. The other end in under the rear passenger seats. It prevents unwanted discharge during transit.

Battery registration is not mandatory but recommended. Why did you change the battery? Were you getting low voltage errors? Were convenience features disabled? (Heated seats, rear defroster, Comfort Access, etc.)

If you had the low voltage error or disabled features, register the battery.

If you replaced it because it was old, you will still want to register it but it's your call. It will extend battery life. Nothing bad will happen if you don't register it. It may only last a year since your car thinks it's maintaining the original battery, but it won't explode like some people claim on here....
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
mbergman
Private
Rep
Drives: 328ix

Self code?

Are there any "kits" available to allow owners to code their own cars? Yes, I understand, it's not condoned by BMW and it is complicated and not for everyone. Just wondering what's available.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
loobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbergman View Post
Are there any "kits" available to allow owners to code their own cars? Yes, I understand, it's not condoned by BMW and it is complicated and not for everyone. Just wondering what's available.
I had a similar issue on my x5 happen when i had a light bulb burn out. Alot can be fixed by removing and then reinstalling the battery cable. It has to do with the ibus or something like that
Appreciate 0